Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:33 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

Rasmussen Reports™: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election.

Under a democrat, this economy would be hailed.

Slowdown - yes, but still OK.

Recession - no.

Quote:
"Dude, where's my recession?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 06:38 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
The economic downturn as we both know is selective and localized. Will be a challenge for the candidates to tour the country and discuss the varying economic climates. Obama has a disadvantage he has staked out the economy is bad recession line. Housing is not bad everywhere and different areas require a different message.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:45 PM

289 posts, read 362,067 times
To my friends in the US here's a glimpse into your future. Today in Canada I paid 5.63 for a gallon of unleaded regular. Supreme is close to 5.85. I also paid over 13.00 for a bag of flour not even the good stuff. I couldn't find a head of iceburg lettuce but the going rate for that stuff was 2.99 a head. I say brace for impact people. My best buy today was a bag of sugar at 2.39 with the 2nd one free. I bought 10 bags which was the limit.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I the end we probably wouldn't be in a recession as we now are not offically. umber don't make this a resession.We have to see how the stock market reacts if Obama wins;remeber he has said business will pay more taxes but then so will we witrh the democratic congress

Old 05-31-2008, 08:33 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I the end we probably wouldn't be in a recession as we now are not offically. umber don't make this a resession.We have to see how the stock market reacts if Obama wins;remeber he has said business will pay more taxes but then so will we witrh the democratic congress
And where does business get these taxes? They just collect taxes from the citizens and pass it on -- they count on many not being bright enough to see through the scam. So with the dems you get higher taxes and higher consumer goods. . . assuming you work and pay taxes which is not a trivial assumption.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:56 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
You aren't going to raise taxes in a downturn or close to one.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Not what the congress has said on the bush tax cuts. They will be dropping thewm that is rasiing taxes. There even talking on raising corporate taxes but it will be a fight as we have the second highest in the world. But withoput raising txaes or fees there will be no healthcare bill.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:08 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
I think this recession is going to be worse than a regular recession. Talk of a slowdown is a joke.

Yeah, house prices didn't go up all over the country. The problem is that gas prices are going up -- and that affects what people can pay for housing. Gas prices also affect the cost of food and everything else.

The value of the dollar is going down.

Things that trade in the global markets (commodities) are costing more because the dollar is so weak.

It's going to take a master magician to fix our economy.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 PM

532 posts, read 859,167 times
Thumbs down Tourist money will be less this yr

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I think this recession is going to be worse than a regular recession. Talk of a slowdown is a joke.

Yeah, house prices didn't go up all over the country. The problem is that gas prices are going up -- and that affects what people can pay for housing. Gas prices also affect the cost of food and everything else.

The value of the dollar is going down.

Things that trade in the global markets (commodities) are costing more because the dollar is so weak.

It's going to take a master magician to fix our economy.
I live in an area that depends on tourism for a big portion of its revenue. Already we are seeing a steep decrease in business that depends on the summer tourist trade. Hotels, motels, eating places are feeling the crunch. Middle class people are not traveling as far, or eating out as much. I eat out often, and have noticed that the places I go to, are mostly empty right now---places where you usually have to wait awhile to be seated. I have never seen it like that before.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:40 AM

654 posts, read 1,210,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Not what the congress has said on the bush tax cuts. They will be dropping thewm that is rasiing taxes. There even talking on raising corporate taxes but it will be a fight as we have the second highest in the world.
I wish that McVain and the spineless GOP would scream this from the rooftops. Letting the Bush tax cuts expire will have the same exact effect as raising taxes. Plus raising corporate taxes (the so called 'windfall' profit tax that the dims are proposing to be levied against the eeeevil oil companies) is nothing more than another de facto tax on the middle and lower classes because...

...CORPORATIONS DO NOT PAY TAXES - THEY COLLECT THEM.
(anyone who does not understand this has no business discussing economics)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections