Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:09 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,848,881 times

Advertisements

I was listening to Randi Rodes on the radio yesterday (think it was a repeat show). She is quite difficult to listen to, but I made myself because she was talking about something I've been unclear on for a while. Perhaps someone here can fill me in.

Rodes kept saying that Obama should be pres because (among other things) he spoke AGAINST the Iraq war when most everyone else was supportive of invading.

She went on about how the Congress was given a special, detailed report that, if read, would convince the reader that there WERE NO WMDS IN IRAQ...so there would be no cause to invade.

She said pretty much nobody read it...including Hillary...so these people were lazy and uninformed and voted FOR invasion.

And she is saying all this while saying how great Obama is because he spoke out AGAINST invasion.

My questions are...wasn't he in the State govt at that time? If so he would not have had a vote anyway. And more to the point, he would not have had access to this IMPORTANT material that could be used to bolster the no invasion stance. So, he was in state govt, gave his opinion saying he was against a war with Iraq....and what did he base this brilliant opinion on if he didn't see that report?

Maybe I'm way off base here...pls let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,577,071 times
Even he has admit that IF he had been in congress at the time he is not sure how he would ahve voted on the actual rollcall vote.The fact is that the congressional leadership of both parties had the same information.On these type of issues most vote the party line except for like those agianst war for any reason other than nation attack.He was in the same position that most of us are in.just as we thouth that we would lose like 20,000 troops in the invasion alone becuase the retired general all thought so. Plus the fact that saddam as admitted that he lead the world to beleive that he ahd WMDs becasue he feared the Iranian would attck and never thought that we would.In the end when you have so little human intelligance as we do since the church committee shut mocuh of it down ;we live in a very unclear intelligance world.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:23 PM

358 posts, read 517,135 times
If obama gets elected, AQ shall be in the USA in force inside of 4 years, then facist liberals will finally get that war they have been trying to avoid for the last 8 years, only this time it shall be on our front doorstep and in our neighborhoods. hope you have your firearms, ammunition and food ready, because it shall be here with the election of obama.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,050,958 times
He became a state senator in 1996.
Obama was an early opponent of the Bush administration's policies on Iraq.[120] On October 2, 2002, the day Bush and Congress agreed on the joint resolution authorizing the Iraq War,[121] Obama addressed the first high-profile Chicago anti-Iraq War rally in Federal Plaza,[122] speaking out against it.[123]

On March 16, 2003, the day President Bush issued his 48-hour ultimatum to Saddam Hussein to leave Iraq before the U.S. invasion of Iraq,[124] Obama addressed the largest Chicago anti-Iraq War rally to date in Daley Plaza and told the crowd "It's not too late" to stop the war. -wikipedia
A transcript of his remarks at the Oct. 2, 2002 rally is here: Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In |
I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a US occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of Al Qaeda. I am not opposed to all wars. I'm opposed to dumb wars.

So for those of us who seek a more just and secure world for our children, let us send a clear message to the President today. You want a fight, President Bush? Let's finish the fight with Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, through effective, coordinated intelligence, and a shutting down of the financial networks that support terrorism, and a homeland security program that involves more than color-coded warnings.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,978,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Obama was an early opponent of the Bush administration's policies on Iraq.[120] On October 2, 2002, the day Bush and Congress agreed on the joint resolution authorizing the Iraq War,[121] Obama addressed the first high-profile Chicago anti-Iraq War rally in Federal Plaza,[122] speaking out against it.[123]

On March 16, 2003, the day President Bush issued his 48-hour ultimatum to Saddam Hussein to leave Iraq before the U.S. invasion of Iraq,[124] Obama addressed the largest Chicago anti-Iraq War rally to date in Daley Plaza and told the crowd "It's not too late" to stop the war. -wikipedia
A transcript of his remarks at the Oct. 2, 2002 rally is here: Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In |
I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a US occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of Al Qaeda. I am not opposed to all wars. I'm opposed to dumb wars.

So for those of us who seek a more just and secure world for our children, let us send a clear message to the President today. You want a fight, President Bush? Let's finish the fight with Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, through effective, coordinated intelligence, and a shutting down of the financial networks that support terrorism, and a homeland security program that involves more than color-coded warnings.
So then how do you explain him saying he could not criticize Kerry on Iraq because he was not sure how he would have voted!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 PM

451 posts, read 1,225,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
If obama gets elected, AQ shall be in the USA in force inside of 4 years, then facist liberals will finally get that war they have been trying to avoid for the last 8 years, only this time it shall be on our front doorstep and in our neighborhoods. hope you have your firearms, ammunition and food ready, because it shall be here with the election of obama.
Where did you gather this info from? Or is this your own thought. Just because you have liberal views does not mean you are weak on forgien policy. All I can ask of people who think like you is to stop buying into the hype. Then you use the world "fascist Liberals" Our country right now is closer to facisim that it has been in any other time and guess who's running the helm these days a Republican President who I won't call conservative, because he's spending way more than a true conservative. Please get out of that backwoods thinking, turn off fox news, cnn, msnbc and do some of your own research and you might open your eyes if you are willing to accept it.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM

36,637 posts, read 67,234,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
Did you say Fascist Liberals?

No, fascism in the context of American political idealogy is the result of unchecked and extreme conservatism.

We Liberals are seen by the neocons as Communists, remember?

Anyway,
Your post clearly illustrates the delusional view that many have about "the other side" being so dangerous and so scary when simple introspection would reveal to them just how extreme their "side" can be too.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,050,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
So then how do you explain him saying he could not criticize Kerry on Iraq because he was not sure how he would have voted!
? I cant find that - please give a link.

Also, I try not to try to explain 'em, I try to just quote 'em.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:41 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,848,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Thank you for that info.

It clears this up for me. He didn't see the secret report that Randi Rodes was blaming Hillary for not reading.

So his oposing the war was an OPINION, no matter how many "I knows" are in his speech.

Randi Rodes is truly a fool. I keep giving Air America, Nova M, any left wing radio broadcasters a chance but they always prove to be hysterical and foolish.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:43 PM

36,637 posts, read 67,234,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Because he's not running against Kerry for President. Why would anyone criticize their allies when its not politically expedient.

Its not fair, but its life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections