U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 AM

532 posts, read 787,552 times

Advertisements

Is anybody concerned about having delegates vote for them, instead of just a popular vote, without having to vote for a delegate to cast a vote for you? I know that delegates are the Constitutional way of voting--for the reason of keeping the voting honest--but things were different then. Do you think we need an amendment, doing away with delegates?--Or maybe we are not qualified to elect our own President. It seems the Founding Fathers thought we were not. Do our State delegates really know, better than we, who should receive our vote. I know that about half of them are pledged to vote for the candidate who receives the popular vote in their State--the other half are unpledged, and can vote aganist the popular vote, if they wish--depends on what State you're in, and if you are Dem, or Repub. The Dems have super-delegates. The Repubs don't. Also the Dems have more delegates than the Repubs. I am just wondering what your opinion is about delegates in general. Do you think they should have to show how they are qualified to vote for us? I don't know of any rules of qualification they have to adher to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:22 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,090,932 times
What was the opinion of J.Adams, Jefferson, Washington and Franklin on the subject?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 AM

59 posts, read 152,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
What was the opinion of J.Adams, Jefferson, Washington and Franklin on the subject?
The delegate thing was their idea actually. The way they saw it. The President would just regulate transactions between the states. They thought the only elected official that the people would care about would be our governor. And our governors would be the guys who get together and decide who becomes president. (They never intended for the President to have this much power.) But...the guys who wanted to become president didn't like that. So they decided that the people would elect delegates who would get together and decide who is president. And that ladies and gentlemen is how the electoral college was born.

So no, our vote doesn't really count. It never did to be honest. It is a bit disheartening. We're advanced enough to where we could elect with the popular vote.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:05 AM

795 posts, read 1,231,954 times
We should begin using the popular vote to decide the outcome of the 2012 election. I think four years would give us more than enough time to prepare.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 AM

34,990 posts, read 34,753,299 times
I dont see why we have to have delegates at all, or the Electoral College for that matter.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,090,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
We should begin using the popular vote to decide the outcome of the 2012 election. I think four years would give us more than enough time to prepare.
Using the popular vote gives an unfair advantage to the cultural preferences of the heavily populated areas.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Using the popular vote gives an unfair advantage to the cultural preferences of the heavily populated areas.
I'm probably just inferring the wrong thing, but that sounds like code for poor, badly educated people. (It doesnt seem to mean a landslide for the candidate who promises a Lincoln Center in every garage ) All the more reason to work on decent educations for all then, if that's the case. The more lightly-populated areas tend to vote conservative (= Republican, these days), for all the reasons they do - is that the concern?

Actually population weight is no longer a factor. Nowadays, national candidates get their messages equally loudly and clearly to every voter everywhere through all the forms of media - and interpreters of those messages - are equally available to all. Polls are conducted almost hourly, everywhere, that measure interests and approval/disapproval of candidates' plans and ideas. IOW, individuals in sparsely-populated places now participate equally with individuals located in cities.

Less populated areas tend to be agricultural. Believe me, farmers lobby, and for and against the same things no matter who the president is.

Heavily populated areas dont vote in a bloc. They're a mix of all the economic strata.

A state has a certain number of electoral votes no matter how many, or how few, individual people turn out to vote. With direct elections voting would be encouraged, the temptation to repress or restrict voters would be removed.

Senators and Representatives are elected by popular vote. States such as Missouri have big cities and countryside both - they manage.

The whole concept of swing states - and the heavier attention paid them than to the less-populated states - would cease to exist.

And finally, references to Al Gore in 2000 aside, shouldnt the majority rule?

Last edited by delusianne; 06-01-2008 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: and furthermore

Old 06-01-2008, 05:31 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,714,936 times
To protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
To protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.
But that's why we have Congress, limited terms of different lengths, veto power.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:24 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,714,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
But that's why we have Congress, limited terms of different lengths, veto power.
We're a representative democracy from the bottom to the top. Just because we don't like the outcome of certain elections (as we've seen in the past few presidential cycles) doesn't mean we should start electing by popular vote. If you really want your vote to count, get involved with your local party, become a delegate, and vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections