Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times

Advertisements

This is such a non-isssue. All Obama has to say is two words and people will forget this: Tom Hagee. McCain SAUGHT OUT the endorsement of an anti-American preacher and than said "I denounce you!" after he was caught mixing with a America hating extremist. McCain spent time and money seeking the POLITICAL support of someone who in anti-American...Obama had a SPIRITUAL relationship with Wright, and no real relationship with Pffleger. Hence, McCain's offense was signicantly worse.

If McCain's people bring up Obama's church, all he has to do is bring up Hagee and the flip-flopping on the "Agents of Intolerance" thing. Not to mention that people are ALREADY TIRED of hearing about this. By the time it gets to October, people will be over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 12:29 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Well Obama said he could no more denounce his church than his White grandmother...

She knew the risks, well Obama, we're waiting.

I find it one thing for a church to say "we don't believe in the War in Iraq," my church is somewhat that way, though I am not. But when you start talking about candidates and their merits, and essentially giving an endorsement... its time to take away their tax exemption. So I think that you can say, "we should support the most pro-Israel candidate, and its up to you to figure out who he is," that is OK, and I have been to plenty of churches that say that (especially some of the greatest Southern churches).
But saying that (for instance, I am not quoting anyone), "Hillary Clinton does not deserve the Presidency." That is wrong.

Another thing, Barrack Obama had a 250,000 earmark for this White pastor at his church (Fleghler, or something). And now he supports Obama (he was a member of Catholics for Obama), I thought that politics was supposed to be done at an arms length?

Actually, Ffleger is not his pastor, because he is catholic, and Obama is not.

Also, McCain SAUGHT OUT the endorsement from America-hating Hagee, and then denounced him when he got caught...why does that not anger people as much?

Obama's church was a church. People disagree with their pastors all the time, but if the net good was better than the net bad, people usually stay in their church. How many catholics that are pro-choice still in catholic churches? Allot.

Also, Obama called Wright, a lunatic, a "spiritual mentor", while McCain called Hagee, and American-hating fanatic, a "political allie"...who has more explaining to do?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 PM

315 posts, read 761,220 times
First I would like to say that most black churches would never have such ignoramus standing in thier pulpit. And yes it is very clear barack and the people of trinity has some issues and they really should not pretend to be the example of what all black churches are because they are nothing like that.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:36 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Yes Obama left the church (for political purposes) but why did he not denounce the church and it's racist, hate based views??????????

Old 06-02-2008, 12:37 PM

524 posts, read 839,415 times
Somebody's really still trying to compare Hagee to Wright and P****face? Really?!

Please keep those blinders on until at least November. Kool-aid refills are over there, on the left.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:45 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Barack can leave his church, but folks, the issues still burn in that church. Whether it be the unholy sermons of Wright or Wrong (that Irish Catholic) who was invited to do exactly what he did, black majoritive churches all across our nation are hearing exactly the same themed sermons because that is what they want to hear because the people are hurting.

We can blame and blame and blame, but until we all, I mean all of us attack the issues of American ghetto's the sickness will only grow and churches like Trinity will multiply like rabbits in a thorn patch.

At the same time, we must no longer assume that racism is a one way street. We must also never allow entreprenueral preachers such as J Wright, Al Sharpton, or Jesse Jackson to preach to the crowd rather than preaching about faith, the Christian message, and the Hope of Heaven.
First, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as it relates to Black churches "all across our nation". The majority Black church that I've attended doesn't fit your stereoptype. Neither does the majority white church that I once attended fit your stereotype. You may need something to cling to, but church isn't it.

Second, I hope you're not a practicing real estate agent with that kind of narrow-minded, ignorant view of Black people and the churches they choose to attend.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Actually, Ffleger is not his pastor, because he is catholic, and Obama is not.

Also, McCain SAUGHT OUT the endorsement from America-hating Hagee, and then denounced him when he got caught...why does that not anger people as much?

Obama's church was a church. People disagree with their pastors all the time, but if the net good was better than the net bad, people usually stay in their church. How many catholics that are pro-choice still in catholic churches? Allot.

Also, Obama called Wright, a lunatic, a "spiritual mentor", while McCain called Hagee, and American-hating fanatic, a "political allie"...who has more explaining to do?
Idon;t thnik Pfliger had any reflection on obama toher than to put a spotlight on the overall church itslf and causing Obama to finally qite the curch for it views of others esopecailly since he will need alot of support from Clinton if he is to pull her half of the party together. His big fault was not to have recognised now the church had become a hate rally more than a service IMO.Pfilger apparently has been a know baiter for a long time that had nothing to do with Obama. I doubt he gets away from the judgement issue on the Rev Wright and the church.Hagee will never equate as McCain was never a memebr of the church or a went to twnty years of meetings. That likem saying that Obama has a association with terroist becasue they have comne out for him.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:29 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
I've seen a few articles with members of the church and many are saddened and embarrassed that the actions within the church, with Rev. Wright, etc. have "forced one of their own" to walk away and may have hurt him badly in his race for the Presidency.

You can slag Obama all day but the fact remains he was as loyal as he could be until Wright and others forced his hand. Of COURSE it's politically expediant to leave the church, but Wright and others there bear most of the blame. They lost sight of the big picture, they reacted in some very un-Christian ways (G.D. America), and overplayed their hand.

Now MANY Americans look at Trinity as a hateful, racist place when in fact it has been a BEACON in the community for decades, doing WAY more good then harm. A few bad apples yada yada yada.

They aren't the first group to get caught up in a spectacle and react poorly.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 6,924 times
Default i have an honest question for people in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Barack can leave his church, but folks, the issues still burn in that church. Whether it be the unholy sermons of Wright or Wrong (that Irish Catholic) who was invited to do exactly what he did, black majoritive churches all across our nation are hearing exactly the same themed sermons because that is what they want to hear because the people are hurting.

We can blame and blame and blame, but until we all, I mean all of us attack the issues of American ghetto's the sickness will only grow and churches like Trinity will multiply like rabbits in a thorn patch.

At the same time, we must no longer assume that racism is a one way street. We must also never allow entreprenueral preachers such as J Wright, Al Sharpton, or Jesse Jackson to preach to the crowd rather than preaching about faith, the Christian message, and the Hope of Heaven.
has anyone ever been to trinity church? i'm just asking because i've attended there a handful of times and it's not unholy sermons like you say.

and this is from someone who isn't religious at all.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 6,924 times
Default lol

for the record, obama resigned his membership not for what the church stood for (what the church REALLY stood for, not what FOX/CNN etc. portrays) but because what the media made it out to be: a separatist, racist church built on the bones of old white men, apparently.

he did it for the best of all parties involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections