U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 04:25 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,842,344 times

Advertisements

OK, this thread has nothing to do with a space toilet. That was a shameless gimmick to get some attention. Just thought we should start a new topic.

So.... let's look at NASA has to say about Obama's Plan For American Leadership In Space:

Barack Obama's Plan For American Leadership in Space | SpaceRef - Space News as it Happens

Most intriguing, Obama supports development of the Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV). He wants to complete the Intl. Space station and continue with unmanned missions.

Be sure to check out the sections on surveillance to strengthen national security and monitoring climate change.

Also, controversial discussion of keeping weapons out of space. Obama feels China's successful test of an anti-satellite missile in January 2007 signals a potential new arms race in space. He believe the international community must address the issue head on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 04:28 PM

93 posts, read 305,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
OK, this thread has nothing to do with a space toilet. That was a shameless gimmick to get some attention. Just thought we should start a new topic.

So.... let's look at NASA has to say about Obama's Plan For American Leadership In Space:

Barack Obama's Plan For American Leadership in Space | SpaceRef - Space News as it Happens

Most intriguing, Obama supports development of the Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV). He wants to complete the Intl. Space station and continue with unmanned missions.

Be sure to check out the sections on surveillance to strengthen national security and monitoring climate change.

Also, controversial discussion of keeping weapons out of space. Obama feels China's successful test of an anti-satellite missile in January 2007 signals a potential new arms race in space. He believe the international community must address the issue head on.
Great Kennedy's Ghost! I think we may be asking not what our country can do fro us by the end of the year. Take that commies, I mean jihadists or whatever.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:31 PM

12,646 posts, read 13,927,348 times
The Ares is sweet. Plans from NASA are to get back to the moon and on to Mars.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:19 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:

But not our missle defense system.

Interesting priorities.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
But not our missle defense system.

Interesting priorities.
Obama's stance on the missile defense system for Europe:

“The Bush Administration has been developing plans to deploy interceptors and radar systems in Poland and the Czech Republic as part of a missile defense system designed to protect against the potential threat of Iranian nuclear armed missiles. If we can responsibly deploy missile defenses that would protect us and our allies we should – but only when the system works. We need to make sure any missile defense system would be effective before deployment. The Bush Administration has in the past exaggerated missile defense capabilities and rushed deployments for political purposes. The Bush Administration has also done a poor job of consulting its NATO allies about the deployment of a missile defense system that has major implications for all of them. We must not allow this issue to divide “new Europe” and “old Europe,” as the Bush Administration tried to do over Iraq.”

For further details:
U.S. Senator Barack Obama (http://obama.senate.gov/press/070716-obama_statement_73/ - broken link)

Old 06-01-2008, 05:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Obama's stance on the missile defense system for Europe:

“The Bush Administration has been developing plans to deploy interceptors and radar systems in Poland and the Czech Republic as part of a missile defense system designed to protect against the potential threat of Iranian nuclear armed missiles. If we can responsibly deploy missile defenses that would protect us and our allies we should – but only when the system works. We need to make sure any missile defense system would be effective before deployment. The Bush Administration has in the past exaggerated missile defense capabilities and rushed deployments for political purposes. The Bush Administration has also done a poor job of consulting its NATO allies about the deployment of a missile defense system that has major implications for all of them. We must not allow this issue to divide “new Europe” and “old Europe,” as the Bush Administration tried to do over Iraq.”

For further details:
U.S. Senator Barack Obama (http://obama.senate.gov/press/070716-obama_statement_73/ - broken link)
Yes I have read his stance and that is why I said what I said.

He said it was unproven. Thank god for that!

But it has been tested and successfully!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Yes I have read his stance and that is why I said what I said.

He said it was unproven. Thank god for that!

But it has been tested and successfully!
Well ryneone, guess it's just you and me. Everyone else is too busy trying to see who can say the ba-a-a-dest thing and stressing out about things that are over and done and in the past. *sigh*

Getting back to issues in the election...

Seems to me the big urgency for money being thrown at the space missile program was that China blasted a satellite out of orbit in 2007. At the time it sounded scary, but a year later it appears that this was all about the Chinese setting up their satellite navigation system, and not a weapons issue. The Chinese GPS is expected to be operational later this year.

China wants GPS. Is that really worth all the panic?

Also, the Chinese have a few major expenses to worry about right now. That earthquake is going to drain their economy and needs all their attention. They're going to have a hard time putting on the olympics, much less worrying about satellites. Somehow I think a space weapons program for the Chinese has been shelved--maybe not forever but definitely for the next four years.

The US has to be careful with $$$ too. I don't think the space missile program is a smart thing to pour money into right now. And, I think Obama is right that launching missiles without spending the money to make sure it's done responsibly could lead to a horrible international mistake.

Last edited by normie; 06-02-2008 at 05:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or