Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,730,502 times

Advertisements

Ask what you can do for Obama! Because by doing things for Obama, you are doing things for your country and yourself! Now that the nomination battle is essentially over, it is time to move to the campaign against McCain and the Party of Evil. Remember who the real enemy is here and keep your eye on the enemy and watch for his bag of tricks! Here in Georgia we are going to help Obama and all the Democrats over the summer. You too can help in your state or whereever you will be living in the fall! A few things we are discussing here in my neck of the woods.

Problem Photo ID is now required to vote. This was an obvious attempt by the state Republicans to suppress turn out by people who are most likely to vote Democrat. While I think everybody should have a valid ID- and most of us do- there are some circumstances where they may not. Often the elderly who do not drive anymore will not renew their Driver's License. An expired license is NOT an "official ID" for voting with now.

Solution The state does not require photo ID to vote via absentee ballot nor is a reason for doing so required any longer either. What we are going to do here is get several hundred blank absentee ballot applications and hand them out to people in heavily Democratic areas and at local nursing homes with instructions on how people should fill them out to get a mail in ballot. We may pay for the postage to mail them back too (still being discussed) Although the instructions for the ballot itself have to be "non partisan", it is OK to use a "sample ballot" and mark Obama's name and the names of the other Democrat candidates. We don't have any illusions that Obama will carry Georgia but electing other Democrats will help him when he does take office.

Problem: Voter Registration. The fact is that about 1000 people a day move to our state. Many of these folks are from up north- Michigan, New York, Illinois. They tend to vote blue. We need to get them registered ASAP.
Solution: We are going to spend the summer registering all those we can find. For Georgia, the form can be found at Voter Registration Application . Another thing that is there is a national form for people like college students and military personnel that can be used so they can vote while here. Registration deadline in GA is Oct 6!!

Join your local Democrat organization and give all the time, effort and money you can!

Cobb County Democratic Committee
Douglas County Democrats
North Cobb Democrats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:50 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,523,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Ask what you can do for Obama! Because by doing things for Obama, you are doing things for your country and yourself! Now that the nomination battle is essentially over, it is time to move to the campaign against McCain and the Party of Evil.
This is the very definition of why the country is all screwed up.

It's called hate. Pure hate.

Thanks for the reminder, Kev!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 PM

I just have to add to this hate thread.

As for me, regardless of who ends up being president, I always hope for the very best for all of us. I may not always agree with what the prez or congress does, but to hate like this makes one part of the problem and not the solution. When one side HAS to be 100% right and the other HAS to be 100% wrong it just makes it nearly impossible to respect, compromise and get things done.

Frankly, I've never understood this type of thinking. Why does one have to hate from the heart? And then prech it loudly? Even atheists doen't do os like I see it here all too often.

How sad. How very sad.

I have my opinions & ideas, but until people learn to work together, we'll just continue to spiral down and down into the outhouse cespool like Kev spouts we should.

We all deserve better.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,761,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
This is the very definition of why the country is all screwed up.

It's called hate. Pure hate.

Thanks for the reminder, Kev!
Goes both ways, BP, goes both ways. Frankly, I don't hate you, but I sure don't agree with you. Remember, he who angers you, controls you.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Goes both ways, BP, goes both ways. Frankly, I don't hate you, but I sure don't agree with you. Remember, he who angers you, controls you.

AH, but I am not angry. I have genuine pity for people like Kev. As such, I hope he, as well as others, realize that it's fine to have our opinions, but to really accomplish things we have to remember we're in this together. It's not a liberal or conservative problem. If it were one side or the other would have long since vanished.

Frank and open debate with the realization that we are not always 100% right and have no room for other points of view is just plain wrong.

Period.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,730,502 times
Quote:
I just have to add to this hate thread.

As for me, regardless of who ends up being president, I always hope for the very best for all of us. I may not always agree with what the prez or congress does, but to hate like this makes one part of the problem and not the solution. When one side HAS to be 100% right and the other HAS to be 100% wrong it just makes it nearly impossible to respect, compromise and get things done.

Frankly, I've never understood this type of thinking. Why does one have to hate from the heart? And then prech it loudly? Even atheists doen't do os like I see it here all too often.

How sad. How very sad.

I have my opinions & ideas, but until people learn to work together, we'll just continue to spiral down and down into the outhouse cespool like Kev spouts we should.

We all deserve better.
Look Obama has said that HE wants to "reach out" to Republicans and try to work with them. And he has done so in Illinois. But that is him. I am of the opinion that he would be wasting time and effort in doing so. Sure there were a few of them that could be spoken to (Chafee, Snowe) but by and large most Republicans are more useless than a rattlesnake. At least a rattlesnake taste decent if you cook it right. As for me, the only time I want to work together with a Republican is if we are both trapped in a fire and it takes 2 of us to open the door to escape. Other than that, I do not see it happening. I do not hang around with Republicans, the few at work I ignore and, if I had my way, there would be a cemetery for Democrats only so we would not have to be around them after death either! But that is MY view. Obama's view is different and if he wants to try and make nice with them he is entitled to get a knife in the back like all the other Democrats that have tried to deal with them have got.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Look Obama has said that HE wants to "reach out" to Republicans and try to work with them. And he has done so in Illinois. But that is him. I am of the opinion that he would be wasting time and effort in doing so. Sure there were a few of them that could be spoken to (Chafee, Snowe) but by and large most Republicans are more useless than a rattlesnake. At least a rattlesnake taste decent if you cook it right. As for me, the only time I want to work together with a Republican is if we are both trapped in a fire and it takes 2 of us to open the door to escape. Other than that, I do not see it happening. I do not hang around with Republicans, the few at work I ignore and, if I had my way, there would be a cemetery for Democrats only so we would not have to be around them after death either! But that is MY view. Obama's view is different and if he wants to try and make nice with them he is entitled to get a knife in the back like all the other Democrats that have tried to deal with them have got.

Well, Kev, if Omaba wins I hope he does reach out just as he says he will. However, reaching out and building a consensus are two different things. As for me, I find Obama an interesting character. I don't yet know who I will vote for, but one thing is for sure- our next president needs to make working with the 'other side' (whichever side that may be) a top priority. I also think congressional leaders from both sides need to do a better job of working tegether as well. I understand they have their views to protect and constituents to support, but gridlock is worse.

As to your thinking about rebublicans do nothing but stab people in the back..., please, do you really beleive that? That all dems are angels with halos? Both sides are equally guilty of gridlock and playing politics with our lives.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:24 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,753,436 times
Quote:

I think it's the brain that does the hating, not the heart. The heart doesn't think. It just pumps blood.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,991,975 times
NEWSFLASH -- the photo ID requirement is to ensure that illegal immigrants don't vote. States on the Border DO have a problem with illegals casting votes.

And, what's the big deal? You have to have a photo ID for everyday activities -- get on a plane, cash a check, use a credit card. Calling it some sort of "hateful" Republican conspiracy is a huge deception and, well, stupid.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 PM

31,682 posts, read 40,996,551 times
Quote:
Well, Kev, if Omaba wins I hope he does reach out just as he says he will. However, reaching out and building a consensus are two different things. As for me, I find Obama an interesting character. I don't yet know who I will vote for, but one thing is for sure- our next president needs to make working with the 'other side' (whichever side that may be) a top priority. I also think congressional leaders from both sides need to do a better job of working tegether as well. I understand they have their views to protect and constituents to support, but gridlock is worse.

As to your thinking about rebublicans do nothing but stab people in the back..., please, do you really beleive that? That all dems are angels with halos? Both sides are equally guilty of gridlock and playing politics with our lives.

And that is very true and worth a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections