U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:23 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,603,088 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/02/op...on&oref=slogin

Quote:
More striking is Obama’s sin of omission. In the rest of the speech, he goes on to detail — at some length — the “so many ways to serve” that are available “at this defining moment in our history.” There’s the Peace Corps, there’s renewable energy, there’s education, there’s poverty — there are all kinds of causes you can take up “should you take the path of service.”

But there’s one obvious path of service Obama doesn’t recommend — or even mention: military service. He does mention war twice: “At a time of war, we need you to work for peace.” And, we face “big challenges like war and recession.” But there’s nothing about serving your country in uniform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM

35,271 posts, read 19,303,116 times
Thumbs down Poor reference...

William Kristol is a leading neocon chickenhawk. He thinks so much of the military that he avoided it entirely, yet he's all in favor of Bush's war. The war that has degraded our military capability over the past five plus years.

Bill Kristol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,714,936 times
It's funny that Bill Kristol would talk about "inflation adjusted" dollars as if it's something we have to accept.

As for the rest, Obama has also never discussed what he thinks about Leprechauns wearing blue on St. Patrick's Day. Why must he offer so much disdain for the blue Leprechauns?

Give me a break. Kristol has a horrible track record of prediction. He was the pig-tailed cheerleader in the run up to the war. His assertions and thought process has been shown to be more severely flawed than anything Obama has ever said, done, or even thought. I wouldn't listen to Kristol if he told me my hair was on fire.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 PM

32,377 posts, read 55,182,951 times
Barack Obama thinks highly enough of them to vote in favor of the GI Bill. John McCain voted against it because he believes its too generous to veterans.

YouTube - Obama Hits McCain On G.I. Bill

Oh, and Bill Cristol is a GOP propagandist whose blasted democrats for years and years.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,790,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I wouldn't listen to Kristol if he told me my hair was on fire.
Tooooooo funny!

Ken

Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Barack Obama thinks highly enough of them to vote in favor of the GI Bill
He also voted twice against funding the troops, which will kill him in the fall. Didn't he learn anything from Sen. John "I voted for it before I voted against it" Kerry?

It was Obama's words, his speech. Kristol just offers a critique of his speech.

What a dufus he is. Obama that is.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,714,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He also voted twice against funding the troops, which will kill him in the fall. Didn't he learn anything from Sen. John "I voted for it before I voted against it" Kerry?

It was Obama's words, his speech. Kristol just offers a critique of his speech.

What a dufus he is. Obama that is.
Those who don't support the war want more Democrats to vote against funding the war. It's the only way Congress can end it. The only people who will be bothered by that are McCain supporters.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:57 PM

washingtonpost.com

Try this.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:57 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,753,299 times
Quote:
He also voted twice against funding the troops, which will kill him in the fall.
Senator Barack Obama yesterday defended his votes on behalf of funding the Iraq war, asserting that he has always made clear that he supports funding for US troops despite his consistent opposition to the war.

"I have been very clear even as a candidate that, once we were in, that we were going to have some responsibility to make it work as best we could, and more importantly that our troops had the best resources they needed to get home safely," Obama, an Illinois Democrat, told reporters in a conference call. "So I don't think there is any contradiction there."

Obama defends votes in favor of Iraq funding - The Boston Globe

Old 06-02-2008, 04:02 PM

32,377 posts, read 55,182,951 times
Quote:
He also voted twice against funding the troops, which will kill him in the fall.
He voted against them because they included no withdrawal dates and and I fully support his opposition.

Good for him.

John McCain however offers a strange reason for oppossing the GI Bill. Apparently he thinks its too generous and will cause people in the military to opt for getting an education instead of becoming non-commissioned officers.

Education and a good civilian life, Bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections