Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times

Advertisements

Yes, of course a realistic penalty should have been decided upfront. Did the GOP have any repercussions over this issue? Nope. They decided something fair upfront and stuck to it. No problem.

You asked what the DNC did -- not her opponent. The DNC was expressing its frustration every other day since March. They didn't want the voters to have a choice of candidates since the DNC had already decided its favorite. If you don't see a problem with that, then why don't you just lobby for the DNC to dispense with voting altogether? Let them do some opinion polls in February and they can decide their nominee. That's clearly what they wanted to do anyway. They had no patience with actual VOTING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I see a lot of posts about the DNC doing things wrong, what exactly did they do that was so wrong?

Was it about the 4 extra delegates taken from Hillary at the rules meeting? OK that can be corrected, but what else?

Or maybe I should realize that some of the protesters there don't speak for the whole party.
I think many of the protesters were suffering a bad case of sour grapes.

I thought that it was bad for the DNC to structure the primaries with the expectation that Hillary Clinton would lock up the nomination on Super Tuesday. They didn't expect Barack to blow Hillary away like that. I also don't think they should've seated MI or FL because they broke the rules and Hillary didn't complain about this at the onset.

Aside from this, the entire concept of Super delegates is just flat out lunacy.

But it's over now and thank God the best candidate won.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 PM

881 posts, read 1,589,223 times
Quote:
I see a lot of posts about the DNC doing things wrong, what exactly did they do that was so wrong?

Was it about the 4 extra delegates taken from Hillary at the rules meeting? OK that can be corrected, but what else?

Or maybe I should realize that some of the protesters there don't speak for the whole party.

The DNC thwarted the will of voters and let elitist politicians (a/k/a/ "Super Delegates") to decide who the nominee is. Obama did NOT get enough delegates during the primary. Obama was picked by elitist liberal politicians.

Hillary WON the majority of popular votes. But Democrats can care less, a Democratic elite runs the party. Democrats in the DNC can care less about you disgusting ignorant peasants, who cannot see Obama is the true elite here and voted for Hillary. The party elite knows better than voters! That is what just happened today.

Welcome to the Democratic party!!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Yes, of course a realistic penalty should have been decided upfront. Did the GOP have any repercussions over this issue? Nope. They decided something fair upfront and stuck to it. No problem.

You asked what the DNC did -- not her opponent. The DNC was expressing its frustration every other day since March. They didn't want the voters to have a choice of candidates since the DNC had already decided its favorite. If you don't see a problem with that, then why don't you just lobby for the DNC to dispense with voting altogether? Let them do some opinion polls in February and they can decide their nominee. That's clearly what they wanted to do anyway. They had no patience with actual VOTING!
I remember 3 occurences when a party member asked her to drop out, that doesn't equate to every other day.

OTOH, if you have a problem with it then maybe you should lobby for the DNC to change their rules? So that this perfect storm of events can't occurr to derail the party and supporters.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
The DNC thwarted the will of voters and let elitist politicians (a/k/a/ "Super Delegates") to decide who the nominee is. Obama did NOT get enough delegates during the primary. Obama was picked by elitist liberal politicians.
Hillary WON the majority of popular votes. But Democrats can care less, a Democratic elite runs the party. Democrats in the DNC can care less about you disgusting ignorant peasants, who cannot see Obama is the true elite here and voted for Hillary. The party elite knows better than voters! That is what just happened today.

Welcome to the Democratic party!!
From what I see neither one of them did, so it sounds like an opinion on who would be the better candidate. An arguement could be made for both.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:16 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
I remember 3 occurences when a party member asked her to drop out, that doesn't equate to every other day.

OTOH, if you have a problem with it then maybe you should lobby for the DNC to change their rules? So that this perfect storm of events can't occurr to derail the party and supporters.
There was a period of time when it was literally every other day UNTIL they realized that the voters were getting ticked and it was hurting Obama. Then, they made grandiose statements that "Oh, of course, the voters should be heard!" and finally shut up. If you don't believe me, check out the posts on this very board that trumpeted various Dems saying Hillary should quit.

As I've stated many times, I am an Independent so why on Earth would I want to lobby the DNC? I vote for the CANDIDATE, not the party. When I volunteered for Hillary's campaign locally, I made it VERY clear that I would not be working for the Democrats across-the-board. You asked what the DNC did wrong and I told you so if you agree there were problems and you're a Democrat, go for it. Meanwhile, I hope she becomes an Independent.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
There was a period of time when it was literally every other day UNTIL they realized that the voters were getting ticked and it was hurting Obama. Then, they made grandiose statements that "Oh, of course, the voters should be heard!" and finally shut up. If you don't believe me, check out the posts on this very board that trumpeted various Dems saying Hillary should quit.

As I've stated many times, I am an Independent so why on Earth would I want to lobby the DNC? I vote for the CANDIDATE, not the party. When I volunteered for Hillary's campaign locally, I made it VERY clear that I would not be working for the Democrats across-the-board. You asked what the DNC did wrong and I told you so if you agree there were problems and you're a Democrat, go for it. Meanwhile, I hope she becomes an Independent.
I certainly will check it out...but its not going to be from searching here...Ill look up the facts...too many times this board lacks true facts.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I think they made a miscalulation really or someones suppoters on made a good move.I heard the chair of the DNC say they had promised to fix the iowa and new hamshiore always going first by having a state law that says their primary will be two weeks before any other two years ago. But they did nothing so florida and michigan challenged this by moving theirs up. That would mean that iowa and new hamshire would have to go two weeks before starting the primaries even sooner. Then iowa and new hasmpshire wrote the DNC asking for them to be penalized. They thought that they could not count both states but later when a candidate was decided go back and seat both deleagtions.But that didn't happen. Then OBama wihdrew his name from the ballot which really screwed things up.Now they maybe forced into changing the system because no one wants a repeat and if Obama loses because clintons people stay home or vote Mccain to vote agianst Obama it really shakes things up.Then they accepted the michigan proposal as none other could pass but that seems to have really gotten Hiallry's supporters bad because of the four loss deleagtes. In the end Obama had more support on the commitee than hillary so it was like watching the democrats and republicans in congress. The worse was that it seemed the four deleagtes that Obama didn't need was a slap in the face and pretty stupid in the end.I don't think it is much hillary they are worred about but her supporters that vote and make up a large per centage of the base and basically half the votes cast in the primary season.Just a small per centage of almost 17 million can make a bidg difference in the general elction.Seems they ended the primaries as divided as the republicans started the primries really.Who know about the generl elction and I think that shows in the polls and predictions right now.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:57 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Just a small per centage of almost 17 million can make a bidg difference in the general elction.Seems they ended the primaries as divided as the republicans started the primries really.Who know about the generl elction and I think that shows in the polls and predictions right now.

Interesting. What percentage do you think would defect? Out of the 120Million plus votes cast in the last general Election how big an impact do you think it will have?
Will they replace Ron Pauls supporters? What about Bob Barr? Will they replace the Conservatives and Evangelicals who have been unsatisfied with a Senator McCain candidacy?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:13 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
This is indisputable. Take away the SD's - he did not win. Selected, not elected. Sound familiar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections