Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I think your analogy is a little off. Obama is more like Bill Clinton, a person who was relatively unknown and worked himself up from nothing, than George W Bush- a product of nepotism. Luckily the democrats' product of nepotism lost the nomination.
I wasn't as 'WTF' ?? with Bill as I was with GWB. Bill, because he was so scrappy, made me feel like he would handle things alright- vanity, ambition? But GWB was so clueless, had so little to lose if the country went to hell that he really scared me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
[quote=LLLL98;3993055][quote=gsupstate;3992858]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Poor little speech on race? That's certainly one way to look at it. You might want to print out a copy and re-read.

Rev Wright was and is crazy. I don't know this for a fact, but I feel that Obama did not denounce him earlier because he felt a sense of loyalty, which I can respect. When that sense of loyalty was not returned, then Obama felt he had no choice but to denounce him.

There is no spin involved. Obama is a real human being, with real relationships, he has not been scrubbed clean, if he uses a poor choice of words, if he has relationships with people whose opinions are not perfectly PC, so be it.

Contrary to popular belief, we do not want or need a messiah. Just a good President.
I don't think that Wright is crazy- I think he's marketed and packaged himself for his audience. Swaggart, Fallwell, the Catholic Church, all organized religion packages itself for its main purpose...to sustain itself economically. Wright's philosophy sounds right on to his followers and whacked to the rest of us. Take his congregation to a conservative Jewish temple and they'll be like 'what'?? That's why I stay away from too much organized religion.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:28 PM

532 posts, read 859,205 times
Thumbs down Fanatics are scarey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Obama fans are usually just normal people. But the fanatics, or the people who have said they would gladly die for him (sarcastic I hope), those are the ones who scare me. I dislike Hillary, Obama, and McCain because they funneled so much of their personal money into their stupid campaigns, money that could have served a much better cause.

Remember that Obama is a person just like everyone else, he is not some godlike figure, and some people need to understand that the president doesn't necessarily have the power to do what Obama wants to do.
So many people need someone, or something to worship. They are blinded by an image that they don't bother to question--rather putting him(her)on a pedestal. I don't think any of these 3 candidates fill that bill, at least not for me. It's going to be a long 4 yrs, no matter which one of them is president.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 AM

236 posts, read 615,267 times
[quote=gsupstate;3992858][quote=LLLL98;3992788]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

His little poor speech on race, should have been his time to denounce his racist pastor, but did he? No. Instead, per Obama, his pastor's racist remarks were caused by racism in America, .

For a good part of Wrights life,blacks were LEGALLY considered second class citizens.I can sort of see where he may hold some resentment,especially considering the current injustices perpatrated against blacks (rampant discrimination in the jobs,housing and loans sectors).I dont think he is ''crazy''.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:01 AM

236 posts, read 615,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
It's Kool-Aid...

Dreamers built this country. Our founding fathers started with a dream, a vision.

Your founding fathers were racist nutcases who thought it was ok to slaughter the natives and keep blacks as personal slaves.Now THEY were what I would call crazy.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:36 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
So because I support Obama and have from the beginning I am a lemming? By that definition the same could be said of anyone who supports a candidate.

If anyone could be called a lemming it would be the poor Republican souls who voted George BACK in after his first 4 disastrous years.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:06 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
[quote=lioninaconcretejungle;3995833][quote=gsupstate;3992858]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post

For a good part of Wrights life,blacks were LEGALLY considered second class citizens.I can sort of see where he may hold some resentment,especially considering the current injustices perpatrated against blacks (rampant discrimination in the jobs,housing and loans sectors).I dont think he is ''crazy''.
I don't think he's crazy either. I think he's the same as all the broke, have-nots in the ghetto who claim they can't get good jobs or better housing or have children ONLY from the woman they married because of "the white man". The only difference is he happens to be a good speaker.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
So because I support Obama and have from the beginning I am a lemming? By that definition the same could be said of anyone who supports a candidate.
Uh-oh, common sense rears its unpopular head! Does the OP agree?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:49 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Obama is nothing more than a backlash to Bush. If he manages to get into the WH, and we manage to survive him, I will be very grateful--to the resilience of our nation to withstand the inanity of his four years of "change". I do hope we survive.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Obama is nothing more than a backlash to Bush. If he manages to get into the WH, and we manage to survive him, I will be very grateful--to the resilience of our nation to withstand the inanity of his four years of "change". I do hope we survive.
We'll be fine. We survived the last 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections