Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Obama should not allow himself to be tied down by 10 debates. Remember that each debate takes the candidate "off the road" for about 3 days- 2 days to prepare and then the day of the debate itself. Obama is at his best when he is out on the road in front of people and taking him off for 30 days would do harm. If I were advising him, OK 3 formal debates where the media ask the questions and 3 town hall debates where regular people picked at random ask the questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 04:12 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybone666 View Post
Oh I can't wait to see how many gaffes the boy-wunderkind commits when faced with a real man in an actual debate. Could that list actually get longer?

My guess, however, is that he will decline the offer. He has too big an ego to let someone else call the shots, least of all an old white guy. They are the source of all evil, you know.
Obama isn't the one making gaffes, lately.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:14 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
10 debates!!!??? That's crazy. I thought there were far too many for the primaries. Five at the most.
You have the option of not watching all of them.

More information is always better.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
He must be a glutton for punishment. I don't think he'll come out looking good vs Obama in that format.

Perhaps his campaign funding is so low that he's desperate to get some free exposure, though. Even if it isn't all that favorable to him.
Well, that's the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Obama is very weak when not reading from a teleprompter or giving a prepared speech. Remember that one with Hillary where he looked like he was going to grab his marbles and stomp off the stage?

And if you are impressed with the "er, um, ahh, er, a, now look, ahh, er, cough, um" that is MOST of the content of his answers in press conferences...most people are not.

McCain is a boring orator, so far. That's a fact that I can't ignore. He is, however, very sharp in debate/question/answer situations.

Of course the proof is in the pudding, as they say. I'll bet that Obama wants no part of 10 debates.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
McCain challenges Obama to town hall debates - CNN.com

I, personally think that this would be a great idea.
McBush has the same problem as Hillary. With his mummified delivery and prehistoric demeanor, he can't connect with the voters on the campaign trail. So his best bet is to confine the inspirational, far more articulate, more charismatic Obama to more debates inside where spins can be manufactured and Obama's strengths can be minimized. McBush also would like to minimize expenses.

I say two debates at most. Let that fossilized McBush get out there and meet people in THIS country rather than talking about Iraq during debates. Republicans are so out of touch.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:36 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,330 times
My understanding from what CNN is reporting is that McCain is talking about a town hall format where McCain has excelled in the past because it is more of a one on one exchange. I think that Obama had better watch his step because he has not done as well in that format as McCain has. I personally would like to see this because I am tired of the speeches which don't really tell you anything.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:40 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
McBush has the same problem as Hillary. With his mummified delivery and prehistoric demeanor, he can't connect with the voters on the campaign trail. :
"Mummified"? "Prehistoric"? "Fossilized"?

Jeez, he must have one helluvan embalmer.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:47 PM

524 posts, read 839,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Obama isn't the one making gaffes, lately.
Oh, come on now. Your boy outgaffes them all. You can't really be arguing otherwise, can you?

I'm guessing you were just hoping I'd take the bait so you could glibly trot out what you McCain-haters are calling his latest gaffe, in a vein yet desperate attempt to make a lifetime public servant and patriot like John McCain look as bad as Barack "I'll-sit-down-with-anyone-as-long-as-they-the-bring-coke" Obama.

Why can't you bitter racists just accept that a white man will most likely be elected President (unless Hillary throws him a bone)? What are you so afraid of?

Seriously, though, I haven't heard McCain say anything approaching the level of stupidity of the now infamous, hilariously Bush-esque, "57 states" gaffe. That's 3rd grade geography. Even North Koreans know how many states we have!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:56 PM

524 posts, read 839,359 times
Also, McCain killed on SNL. Can we all agree on that at least?

A sense of humor is a big plus for me in a President.

YouTube - SNL McCain 2

YouTube - McCain SNL Ad

Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
I want them answering questions from the people! Not a mod that has a slant to one or the other.
I think they need to be answering questions that are serious to the voters of this country!
I would love to see all 10 Town Halls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections