Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Why she should have to explain why she left the church? Why is that any of our business and further more why do we care? Because she's a public figure? Do you care where I go to church?

Oprah is a person, and just like everyone on this forum - America has granted her the right to choose to support whomever she wants. So what if she's happy? My boyfriend does happy dances every time the eagles win.

Oprah's not God, nor is she a politician. She has a talk show. The only people who will base their voting decisions on Oprah's support of Obama are the ones who were voting for the wrong reasons in the first place.

If you're going to blame somebody, blame the people who wrote the constitution making it possible for us all to have choices and opinions. Things were a lot better when they told us what to think, eh?
A great post.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
If Oprah Winfrey was consistent with the message of her party, she would liquidate her personal wealth, and redistribute it equally to those in need of it. She'd cap her earnings at 100k a year, then have the rest be confiscated by government programs.

Funny, you'd never see that actually happen in a million years. I guess that's because she's not in an industry where physical, tangible products are made. She's in the entertainment industry. The left gives these people a pass. Michael Jordan, The Dixie Chicks, Oprah, etc = good money, where as CEOs of oil, real estate, IT interest, etc = bad money.
I do not ever recall Oprah Winfrey complaining about the taxes she pays. But I do hear Republicans complaining about the taxes they pay. I pay my taxes because it is a sensible way to provide for the least among us.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Yep, not to mention the many years worth of insightful correct opinion, that Oprah, how could she betray us all and pick a candidate?....

NEWSFLASH - Senator Obama left the Church....lol
Newsflash! He was with that insane church and it's racist ideology for over 20 years! Newsflash! He should have quit after he heard the first insane sermon. Newsflash! Nobody is going to forget that he quit only after his feet were held to the fire and the video evidence of his racist, insane preachers were on TV 24/7. Newsflash! Oprah is losing her luster just as Obama has.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
If Oprah Winfrey was consistent with the message of her party, she would liquidate her personal wealth, and redistribute it equally to those in need of it. She'd cap her earnings at 100k a year, then have the rest be confiscated by government programs.

Funny, you'd never see that actually happen in a million years. I guess that's because she's not in an industry where physical, tangible products are made. She's in the entertainment industry. The left gives these people a pass. Michael Jordan, The Dixie Chicks, Oprah, etc = good money, where as CEOs of oil, real estate, IT interest, etc = bad money.
That's because consistently there have been huge news stories about CEO's doing underhanded stuff. The more successful you are as a businessman, the dirtier your hands are.

For some reason that same idea doesn't spill over to entertainment because if the public doesn't like you; you're done. If we don't watch your show, the ratings fall and you get fired. If we don't buy your music, then your label lets you go.

People like to think that entertainers actually make their money based on talents that we can all witness and control , while they believe that people in the business world sit around cutting corners, finding loopholes and taking kickbacks while making shady deals in garages and alleys.

And you can contribute that to too much hype from the media and too little motivation to read for themselves. It's easier to believe what the television says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Newsflash! Oprah is losing her luster just as Obama has.
Now that is a newsflash! what channel are you watching?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:06 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
I was just going to post this article relative to another thread. Maybe, she can help bring back the "angry white women" who have boycotted her show since she endorsed Obama. The NYT ran an article on her decreased viewership and her website has been flooded with negative comments after the endorsement. Although her audience been steadily decreasing, it took a real dip after the endorsement. I'm not an Oprah fan, but I understand some of her viewers believe she focuses too much on religion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/business/media/26oprah.htm?_r=2&oref=login&pagewanted=print (broken link)
Clips
Oprah Winfrey is still the queen of all media, but her crown is beginning to look a bit tarnished.

The average audience for “The Oprah Winfrey Show” has fallen nearly 7 percent this year, according to Nielsen Media Research — its third straight year of decline.
The circulation of O, The Oprah Magazine, has fallen by more than 10 percent in the last three years, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations, and the magazine is now seeking a new editor in chief after the announced retirement of its longtime steward, Amy Gross.

And while Ms. Winfrey still displays a Midas touch when it comes to the endorsement of books and products, some of her latest picks have attracted criticism from longtime fans as she has strayed into new-age spiritualism and, perhaps more dangerously, politics. Her endorsement of the presidential bid of Senator Barack Obama appears to have alienated some of the middle-aged white women who make up the bulk of her television audience, many of whom support Senator Hillary Clinton.

“Not too long ago, she was like the pope,” rarely criticized by her ardent supporters, said Janice Peck, an associate professor of mass communication at the University of Colorado and the author of “The Age of Oprah,” a new book on Ms. Winfrey’s cultural influence.

Since the endorsement, however, angry criticism of her political stance became a regular feature of the message boards on Oprah.com, Ms. Peck said. “There are a lot of her fans who are not Democrats or who support Hillary Clinton who feel betrayed,” she added.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
That's because consistently there have been huge news stories about CEO's doing underhanded stuff. The more successful you are as a businessman, the dirtier your hands are.

For some reason that same idea doesn't spill over to entertainment because if the public doesn't like you; you're done. If we don't watch your show, the ratings fall and you get fired. If we don't buy your music, then your label lets you go.

People like to think that entertainers actually make their money based on talents that we can all witness and control , while they believe that people in the business world sit around cutting corners, finding loopholes and taking kickbacks while making shady deals in garages and alleys.

And you can contribute that to too much hype from the media and too little motivation to read for themselves. It's easier to believe what the television says.

Now that is a newsflash! what channel are you watching?
Her ratings dropped 7% in the last few months.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:22 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I do not ever recall Oprah Winfrey complaining about the taxes she pays. But I do hear Republicans complaining about the taxes they pay. I pay my taxes because it is a sensible way to provide for the least among us.
I think mommies and daddies should be in the providing business, not society at large.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Newsflash! He was with that insane church and it's racist ideology for over 20 years! Newsflash! He should have quit after he heard the first insane sermon. Newsflash! Nobody is going to forget that he quit only after his feet were held to the fire and the video evidence of his racist, insane preachers were on TV 24/7. Newsflash! Oprah is losing her luster just as Obama has.
LOL; yes, it's all one big conspiracy...all the successful Black people are closet Black supremacists. Just like all the Jews control Hollywood and TV brainwash our impressionable youth with anti-Christian thoughts.

Get-off the church thing; that's just how Black churches are (not week after week, but rhetoric like that is not unheard of). I'm not even Christian...and I've also heard anti-American rhetoric in my synagogue. It happens. It's called the "real world". In the "real world" communities discuss their grievances. The "real world" does not have people going around saying politically correct things all the time. In the "real world" you can't monitor and control the actions of your adult friends. I know that in La-La Land, like is like that...and I would want to be there. It's a shame that some White people feel the need to hide under their beds when they hear anything bad about their society from minority groups. Are you really afraid we'll come after you...like the Boogiemen in the night? Black people hear criticism all the time about themselves but we keep chugging along. It's not that serious.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Her ratings dropped 7% in the last few months.
Did you happen to know that or are you just relaying information from the post prior to yours?

I'm sorry but Oprah is a little different from your typical celebs - it will take a lot more than 7% before she gets booted off anything. She started her own channel. If her talk show was to be cancelled due to low ratings - then she'll just run off and start another one. She has that kind of money and the fan base to do it.

Tyra Banks on the other hand...

Old 06-05-2008, 08:40 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
“Not too long ago, she was like the pope,” rarely criticized by her ardent supporters, said Janice Peck, an associate professor of mass communication at the University of Colorado and the author of “The Age of Oprah,” a new book on Ms. Winfrey’s cultural influence....
Somehow, I don't think Oprah's too worried about an opinion from an associate professor at the University of Colorado. Especially one who's trying to peddle a book and therefore wants to say something controversial

Hey, maybe the author feels she can use this controversy to get a promotion--because associate professor is the bottom rung of the ladder.

None the less, you've brought up a good point. Oprah has received criticism for taking a political stance. Before backing one particular candidate, her show appealed to women in general. Now she's lost some of her audience by bringing up politics.

If she really gets involved in this campaign, she could see her ratings drop 10%. Of course she'll still have one of the largest audiences in television history. But still, that's gotta hurt.

Apparently, this is a sacrifice she's willing to make. And, of course, once this is past her ratings will return. Anyway, I admire her willingness to make a sacrifice like that for a cause she believes in. My hat is off to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections