Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:37 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

Yeah can I get a large McLame wich, with a side of McSame fries, and don't forget the McOld sauce... LMAO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:45 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Obama is going to win by Reagan/Mondale proportions IF he does not choose Hillary as Vice President. I think we underestimate the pissed off at Bush Republican vote.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:47 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Obama is going to win by Reagan/Mondale proportions IF he does not choose Hillary as Vice President. I think we underestimate the pissed off at Bush Republican vote.

um, yeah, that will happen!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
As a person who doesn't like both candidates and their parties, my objective opinion is that McCain is PROBABLY the favorite right now. Once the GOP propaganda machine gets rolling, he'll take some votes. The GOP propagandists are just flat out superior to the Dem propagandists. They were able to paint GWB as a Washington outsider back in 2000. If Obama gets a VP candidate that can appeal to rural, blue collar voters he stands a much better chance. Depending on the person, he may wind up being the favorite.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:06 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
exactly

Obama cant win without blue collar vote and he completely dissed them while rubbing elbows with the elitists in san fran. And that says nothing about Wright, phluger, ayers and Rezko. He's going to be dragged through the dirt bigtime starting in about

oh I'd say

mid September

:::snicker:::

Old 06-05-2008, 05:31 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Well shoot, it's one of those Irish gambling sites and you can only buy contracts (AFAICS -?). I love all the topics you can bet on though. "USA and/or Israel to execute an overt Air Strike against Iran by 30 Sep 2008."

Old 06-05-2008, 05:37 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,478 times
We are all going to lose come November, neither are worthy of the job.

One is a globalist tax and steal looney man ( Nobama ) and the other is too liberal ( McCain ) for me.

The only bet I will place at this time in this race since it is really only 2 days old is that the dirty laundry of Obama hasnt come out yet. In the end those of us who see right through this man will say "I told ya so".

Old 06-05-2008, 05:39 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
exactly

Obama cant win without blue collar vote and he completely dissed them while rubbing elbows with the elitists in san fran. And that says nothing about Wright, phluger, ayers and Rezko. He's going to be dragged through the dirt bigtime starting in about

oh I'd say

mid September

:::snicker:::
That's what people don't seem to understand. And I can speak for Appalachians, at least. I know and live with them. As a people, we don't buy into the hipster-directed, feel good, sugar coated "let's change the WORLD" bull****. We know Obama isn't going to change anything in a meaningful way because, frankly, the man is a politician. To Appalachians, a Clinton or McCain comes off as more down to Earth and less pipedream directed. There is no reason for us to buy into any of it. For centuries, we've been marginalized and forgotten. Other minorities get affirmative action. We get ****. It's still acceptable to hold a prejudiced view of us. I go to New York or Philadelphia and they hear my accent, they instantly think I'm retarded. They talk extremely slowly and deliberately to me as if I barely have the capacity to speak English. It's incredibly frustrating because nobody takes your intellectual abilities seriously based upon a preconceived notion of my "people". Stupid, barefoot, and subhuman.

Politically, nothing has changed, and we have more than enough reason to think nothing will change. If it wasn't for Robert C. Byrd and his trillions in pork over the years, God knows what this state and region would look like. We just get abused. The most intrinsically resource rich state in the nation with trillions of tons of coal - a natural resource that is the fuel for 50% of the American power grid. What do we have to show for it? Nothing. The money is all sent out of state.

The federal government has forgotten about us. The media, too. There isn't an HBO series like The Wire that shows how rough it is here as The Wire did for inner-city Baltimore. Poor, white, behind the mountains..out of sight.

And then comes along a young, populist politician that promises reform. Yeah, he's black. How much that fact has been blown out of proportion cracks me up every day. But we see him as just like every other politician running against an incumbent since the beginning of time. He talks a mean game, but we all doubt he will deliver. He might fight for change in cities, but he will not help poor white Appalachians. We aren't seen as oppressed enough or something. The view of us during the West Virginia and Kentucky brought out in the media and especially on the internet where people are more apt to show their TRUE beliefs is enough for us to know how much good and "change" these candidates offer. Everyone still hates us and thinks we aren't worth a dime.

Add that to Obamas comments about how weak and pathetic the hill folk are for loving guns and religion (I'm an atheist, but I RESPECT a man's right to cling to religion as a support mechanism.) Of course "liberal" and "conservative" are religions in and of themselves. Looking at it with a critical eye reveals great hypocrisy in that statement. But, whatever, nobody looks at ideologies with a critical eye, anyway. It's perfectly acceptable to describe your entire sociological ideology with a simple word in this country. I'm a liberal...I'm a conservative...I'm a this...I'm a that. It's all bull****. Nobody thinks for themselves.

So to hell with Obama and to hell with McCain. Come get me when a man with a brain and a true altruistic vision is a viable candidate. I might care enough to actually support a candidate then.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:52 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
I live in one of two congressional districts in this country that still mine iron ore. The areas economic situation has always been weak and we survive on minimum wage and piling lumber at the sawmill. You would be surprised how many Americans live just like the coal mining folk in Applacia. While McCain is far from the answer for the blue collar vote at least he isnt an insulting ******* like obama

Old 06-05-2008, 05:58 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Well definitely not Osama.

My money's on McCain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections