Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times

Advertisements

There is something about here that I just dont like. But I am pretty sure she is not racist since she married the son of A WHITE WOMAN!! Her husband is just as much white as he is black (actually moreso since he was raised by his mother) so its pretty safe to assume that she is not a racist.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:49 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
There is something about here that I just dont like. But I am pretty sure she is not racist since she married the son of A WHITE WOMAN!! Her husband is just as much white as he is black (actually moreso since he was raised by his mother) so its pretty safe to assume that she is not a racist.
Good point. My sources in Chicago tell me she likes to role play with Barack. She is the Black maid and he is the wealthy White estate owner. You know how that goes. Other times she is the wealthy Black wife with the husband out of town on a business trip. Barack plays the tan skinned gardner who needs to get a drink to cool off. She evidently is very comfortable with his ethnic diversity as it allows for great flexibility.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:18 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep4x4 View Post
It sounds like maybe I need to remind everyone that slavery ended back in 1860's whihc makes it over a hundred and forty some years ago.... Isn't time we move on? Also there is no one alive today that was ever a slave.... How long can some one blame slavery for not going to school and making something of ones self?
And maybe we should remind you that the Civil Rights movement was only 45 years ago? And during that time, there was a big "Black migration" of Black Americans from the south (where 70% had lived prior to 1940) to Northern cities. Until the Civil Rights era, Black Americans did not share the same legal status as White Americans in the South...and in the North, they were almost totally dependent on the various labor unions and norms of industrial work in the north. That means, that there were a slew of jobs totally shut off from Black people.

For example...in my family...my great-grandfather came to PA in the late 1920s to work in the steel mill. All of his 5 sons (including my Grandfather) worked in the steel mill; including two of his sons that went to college. Both of them were younger than my Grandfather (who did not finish high school...started working in the mill when he was 17). One college graduate son eventually moved to Detroit to work in the auto industry and did "ok" when he became some sort of supervisor (his major was business...from Penn State in 1957). However a couple divorces wiped him out financially...and when he died, he had his modest home to his name...but that was it. The other brother played football for Howard University (major English..1959) and hoped to become a teacher/coach...but had no serious offers. The pay and benefits were better in the steel mill....so that's where he ended up. However it was unheard of for a Black man to become a supervisor in the steel mill. In fact, it was that way until the mid-1970s.

Their children (my mother and her cousins) were the first who had the opportunity to go to college. Sort of. Their parents were the first to purchase homes and cars and pretty much had little left over for college. So unless you could pull it off yourself...you were out. My mother was not a great student...so she never did college. Some of her cousins did...with mixed results. Two of my mother's cousins were in their 40s before they could feel "secure" in their lives. Which means a stable job, buying a home, providing for their children, etc. That is because their parents did not have the nest egg to send them to school. In addition...in the early 1980s (when my mother graduated)...there were still many fields that Black people had not cracked into professionally. I have a cousin who got a Computer Science degree from University of Pittsburgh in 1986 and it was 1991 before she got her first programming job. Before then she was simply a computer operator or in a support position. Eventually, she met someone who referred her to a firm in California...and she's been there ever since (doing very well...but she was into her 30s and had to fore go having a family).

Now my generation has it better...as far as the preparation for college and the precedents set by Black professionals before us. But we still face a ton of problems when it comes to networking and being seen solely for our abilities. Also many, many jobs require skills you do not learn in college. You need skills that you can only acquire once someone took that "leap of faith" and gave you a project or showed you the ropes and then you can take of running. That is where, currently, there bridges are gone for us. Being in a position where we can be given the "big deals" in the "big projects" with the "big mentors". That's we were are currently being left behind.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:18 PM

59 posts, read 214,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
It's almost like he likes to hide is white side, He is always called black. he could be called white but is not. I believe it's because white does not work with the race card.
I have to believe they are both racist but her more than him. But time will tell.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep4x4 View Post
It's almost like he likes to hide is white side, He is always called black. he could be called white but is not. I believe it's because white does not work with the race card.
I have to believe they are both raciest but her more than him. But time will tell.
He has explained that over and over. He is the same complexion as millions of Americans who are considered Black. When he walks into a room prior to his fame stage how many people not knowing him looked and said here comes a White guy? Growing up and in life he would seem like an idiot trying to convince people he is White. Like most people of his complexion he has White ancestry however others consider us to be Black and we accept it. Remember that could be a White relative several generations removed.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Yeah let's tar and feather her then lynch her for speaking of her experiences at Princeton University. Come on for those of you who try to act as if racism does not exists in this country are in complete denial of the truth. There has been many thesis written on the unfairness of "Affirmative Action" yet are those people considered racists? Clinton's obvious arrogance in regards to her race and gender is what caused her to lose the election. When Bill Clinton did things that were not considered the white way of acting, he was considered a black president, by both blacks and whites. There has been many issues with whites outrage at the accomplishments of some blacks that are not viewed as racists acts. Heck in the news white kids are hanging nooses in the yards of black home owners yet it is not considered a racist act, so why is it when a black person speaks out about his or her experiences it is blown up? Why are the reactions towards the Jewish People not letting go of the holocaust not as intense as those blacks who are still carrying a chip on their shoulders about the past...especially when there is still such racial tensions amongst us? Now I don't agree that we should continue on living in the past, but don't racially castrate one race for still hurting while trying to mend the wounds of another who is also still hurting.

There is too much white and black issues in this forum for individuals who claims not to be prejudice. It seem as though every other topic is a black and white issue. How can we get past this nonsense if those of you who claim that blacks need to move on keeps bringing up racial issues that will cause a reaction. I think the actions and responses by some of you actually shows how you really feel about a racially united country; if our children were to learn from our actions, this country will forever remain racially divided.
I agree with this wholeheartedly and your last statement is powerful. As long as you have one group that believes they are superior and are privileged to receive more than other races based on their skin color-this way of our society will continue. I sincerely believe it will not change in my lifetime and yes I am hurt, but I will not be bitter or mad because these are the emotions that can drive you closer to your place of resting before you are ready. It sickens my heart to know that there are people that continue to be racist based on someone's skin color-although I know this is our continuous reality.

The only powerful weapon blacks and whites have against this is anti-racist education. It will provide the knowledge to understand the illness of those who are racist and eventually the wisdom to know that it is not our problem, but theirs-and theirs collectively.

Check out Tim Wise!! He can speak to this illness. He is white, yet he is powerful in speaking to his own people about this sickness that continues to plague our country and whites are very receptive to his message. This forum will not introduce you to many of these people who believe what he speaks about. How many Tim Wise men will we need for the future? Ongoing education is for a lifetime, it does not end at the primary, secondary, or higher educational levels-it continues until you are no longer a living being on this earth.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 PM

to his own people

Wow and double wow. That means White folk should not vote for Obama because he is not their own people even though their thoughts and wants for their country and families might be the same? Wow I thought my own people were intelligent and literate with a focus on family and strong academic values. You mean my own people are often incarcerated and perhaps I should be also?

Dang maybe I need to go do some things differently so I fit the typical profile of my own people whatever that is.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 PM

Ongoing education is for a lifetime, it does not end at the primary, secondary, or higher educational levels-it continues until you are no longer a living being on this earth.

Can I opt for above as MY OWN PEOPLE?

I would like that very much. I think others might also especially if they don't know Tim Wise.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
to his own people

Wow and double wow. That means White folk should not vote for Obama because he is not their own people even though their thoughts and wants for their country and families might be the same? Wow I thought my own people were intelligent and literate with a focus on family and strong academic values. You mean my own people are often incarcerated and perhaps I should be also?

Dang maybe I need to go do some things differently so I fit the typical profile of my own people whatever that is.
It means that white people are more receptive to the message that speaks to racism and discrimination when it is presented from their own compared to black people speaking about it. When we speak about racism or discrimination it is only our problem because of a lack of this or that or it does not exist. You would have to be participant in his audience to fully understand what I mean.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
It means that white people are more receptive to the message that speaks to racism and discrimination when it is presented from their own compared to black people speaking about it. When we speak about racism or discrimination it is only our problem because of a lack of this or that or it does not exist. You would have to be participant in his audience to fully understand what I mean.
Would that make me one of his own people. I have a history of being a thorn in the side of diversity trainers. I don't consider a group of people gathered together who have similar incomes, education, family values etc to be diverse regardless of their various ethnicities. Obama has more in common with the Ivy league crowd then the inner city crowd. He has worked with the inner city population but I don't think they are his peeps these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections