Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 06:57 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,844,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
What an ignorant post. You just gave a pass to black racism, but the average American does not.

If someone can have "black pride" then someone can have "white pride".

You're stating there is a perception of white pride and that makes it unacceptable. This is a racist remark from you, as you are denying whites something based on their skin color. That my friend is racism!!!

The double standard in the US has grown old and tired and many are calling it for what it is. It's days are numbered.
Hmmmm. Your last sentence is true I think.

If the Obama run for the White House has done anything (so far) it has made a lot of white people get a wake up call. A lot of whites had NO IDEA that a rather large (not quite sure how much) percentage of the black american population really has a great deal of anger and hatred towards them.

I'm white and I have a majority of white friends. I also have friends that are black, hispanic, etc. I tell you "we" whites are quite shocked and saddened. We also are pretty turned off to it and are starting to shed any old guilt for things we did not do.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:04 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,738,401 times
I wouldnt say anger and hatred so much as distrust.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:30 PM

742 posts, read 2,059,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Myself, I am HOPING AND PRAYING BIG TIME that McCain asks Bobby Jindal (Rep gov of LA) to be his VP.
I don't think that's a good idea. One, he is still young (younger than Teddy Roosevelt when Ted served as VP). Two, he just started his first term as Governor of LA. I would think he is more needed stateside (New Orleans still needs work) than in the White House during this time. He will be more prepared for the White House after 1 term as Governor.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,491,612 times
Quote:
Well, that s*cks that they got all sensitive and wierd on you. Would have p*ssed me off too.

I guess this is what is bothering me about the whole Obama run for the presidency. I could give a flying fig if someone is black or white, I want them qualified for whatever position they are after. I'm quite conservative and I must tell you nothing would make my other conservative friends happier than to have a black president. A CONSERVATIVE BLACK PRESIDENT! And we would not support him because he was black, he would have to be the pick of the litter on all accounts....just.... it would be thrilling and historic if this conservative WAS black in addition to his superior credentials. So, I DO get that liberals are thrilled that Obama is black and he is their nominee. I just don't think he is "the pick of the litter" and that because he is black is the main reason he is being fawned over.

Racism makes me sick. It's stupid and counter productive. I really love what Dr. King said about the content of a persons character. I just see the dems using race a lot...it might not be standard KKK racism but it is throwing race into the pot whenever it will benefit them. The conservatives I know don't do this.

Myself, I am HOPING AND PRAYING BIG TIME that McCain asks Bobby Jindal (Rep gov of LA) to be his VP. Do I or any other conservative I associate with care if he is Indian (and darker skinned than Obama)...HELL NO! He could be bright green for all we care. He is an incredible man and is (I think) the perfect running mate for John McCain.

While I would hope I would move to Canada if McSame gets elected, , I think that would be cool if McCain chose Bobby Jindal or another visible minority or a woman, it would get the racism down a lot if he chose Jindal and in a twisted way, balance out the racism, if he chose a woman with sexism.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
I don't that's a good idea. One, he is still young (younger than Teddy Roosevelt when Ted served as VP). Two, he just started his first term as Governor of LA. I would think he is more needed stateside (New Orleans still needs work) than in the White House during this time. He will be more prepared for the White House after 1 term as Governor.

Well, of course, you are probably right. Still, McCain really, really needs a strong conservative running mate and this guy sure fits the bill.

I would normally agree that he should finish out a term or 2 as Gov of LA, then just run for Pres...but this is an odd election. Sometimes you just have to run with the ball.

I kind of know what the Obamatrons feel about their guy. Jendal has really impressed me. Of course he has more gravitas than Obama not to mention an impressive resume and "real" ideas not platitudes and empty slogans.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with this guy--one way or the other. The republicans need A LOT more like him.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,756,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
What an ignorant post. You just gave a pass to black racism, but the average American does not.

If someone can have "black pride" then someone can have "white pride".

You're stating there is a perception of white pride and that makes it unacceptable. This is a racist remark from you, as you are denying whites something based on their skin color. That my friend is racism!!!

The double standard in the US has grown old and tired and many are calling it for what it is. It's days are numbered.
No double standard. Do you know why? Because White Americans know where there ancestors came from...most of them. You know that Grandma was Irish and Grandpa was German....or Great-Grandma was Polish and so on. However, the vast majority of Black Americans do not have that same ability to trace their origins. Since "Africa" is not a country and we were stripped of our African culture, we have a new culture...called "Black".

If the term "White pride" was not defined as something to describe a blanket culture among all descendants of Europeans, then it would be ok. Odd (like "African Pride" being worn by Black people who are generations removed from Africa), but ok. Maybe it should be called "European Pride" then. Quite honestly...I don't think any rational person would be offended by a "European Pride" t-shirt. They surely are not offended by Italian-Pride or Irish-Pride or anything of the sort. But what is "White pride"? "Black pride" is defined by the unique culture of Black people; what is the unique culture of White people then? What is the shared experience? Religions are different...origins are different...even the foods you prefer are different. So maybe it is just "American Pride". However that would include people who are non-White. Therefore, we come back to singling out Americans only on the color of their skin for this "pride group". That is racism...in the dictionary definition of the term.

Personally, I feel that Black people who are immigrants and have the privilege to know their roots a bit more should be first and foremost proud of their ancestral homeland. However their Americanized descendants share a common day-to-day existence because the majority culture usually does not make any distinction among the two (children of immigrant Blacks and American Blacks who's families have been here for generations)...even though one exists. So they can empathize with their counterparts and share their lot...if they so feel inclined (similar to how Chinese-Jamaicans will align themselves to the Jamaican-American community here instead of the Chinese-American community...despite the obvious racial disparity).

Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm. Your last sentence is true I think.

If the Obama run for the White House has done anything (so far) it has made a lot of white people get a wake up call. A lot of whites had NO IDEA that a rather large (not quite sure how much) percentage of the black american population really has a great deal of anger and hatred towards them.

I'm white and I have a majority of white friends. I also have friends that are black, hispanic, etc. I tell you "we" whites are quite shocked and saddened. We also are pretty turned off to it and are starting to shed any old guilt for things we did not do.
Anger and hatred may be feelings harbored by the Black community; but they are not the only feelings...and they are not the most dominant feelings. There are also feeling of disappointment, hopelessness, frustration, and loss. Is it directed at "White people"? Yes...but indirectly...in that Black people feel this way towards there host society which is not only majority White, but vastly controlled by Whites. If the mainstay of power in this country were Japanese...then the feelings would be aimed at the Japanese. It's not like "wow we just hate White people". But historically, that is the majority basis of the United States of America.

There are two issues with the statement you made. One is that you had no idea these feelings were out there? Now no one is expecting that every American be a sociological expert...but Americans knew about apartheid in South Africa; they know about the situation with the Palestinians in Israel; they know about the genocides in the African continent. Ok, so what Black Americans go through is nowhere as extreme...that is true. However 45 years ago, the majority of Black Americans did not share the same legal status as other Americans. 30 years ago, it was illegal in many Southern states for a Black person to marry a White person. 25 years ago we established the first national holiday in honor of a Black American. 20 years ago, Virginia was the first state to elect a Black governor. 15 years ago, the first Black American won a Nobel Literature Prize. 7 years ago the first Black American was elected president of an Ivy League school (Brown). I list these to demonstrate that although the legal barriers fell a generation ago, the mindset of American society does not automatically switch and now "all Black Americans are just like the rest of us". Unfortunately 400 years of inhumane treatment does not melt away that quickly. Irregardless, Black Americans are the neighbors of all other Americans. We may not live next door to you...but we are out there. Even if you never see us...to admit that "you didn't know" just means that you didn't look.

The second issue is that of reaction. Let's remove the community out of this...and let's just say it's a random person out there. Let's say you work with someone. You do not know this person well at all really. However you "discover" that this person is "angry and full of hatred" towards you. Now, how you deal with it shows what your true feelings are in essence. You can choose to ignore it...because you don't know that person anyway...so oh well. And I think that is the way the majority of people would deal with it...because you pick your battles. But why do you ignore it? Probably because you do not care about that person to begin with. You have no vested interest in that person...so oh well. However, let's say you are forced to work together on a project for the company. Now you have another dilemma. You can just tolerate this person....never inquiring as to why they hate you and not caring. Just do what you need to do so that you can just get your paycheck. Or you can confront the issue...say that it is getting in the way of working together productively and stopping the project from being better so that you both can benefit. Again, you do not know their story...and if you are working together, perhaps you should at least give the person that. It could be a ridiculous misunderstanding; it could be irreconcilable differences. Who knows. The point is there is no right way to deal with a situation when you find out some other party has an issue with you. Your true feelings will determine your reaction. If you feel the relationship will be of some benefit...then you hold some interest in delving deeper. If not, then you shrink away.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Anger and hatred may be feelings harbored by the Black community; but they are not the only feelings...and they are not the most dominant feelings. There are also feeling of disappointment, hopelessness, frustration, and loss. Is it directed at "White people"? Yes...but indirectly...in that Black people feel this way towards there host society which is not only majority White, but vastly controlled by Whites. If the mainstay of power in this country were Japanese...then the feelings would be aimed at the Japanese. It's not like "wow we just hate White people". But historically, that is the majority basis of the United States of America.

There are two issues with the statement you made. One is that you had no idea these feelings were out there? Now no one is expecting that every American be a sociological expert...but Americans knew about apartheid in South Africa; they know about the situation with the Palestinians in Israel; they know about the genocides in the African continent. Ok, so what Black Americans go through is nowhere as extreme...that is true. However 45 years ago, the majority of Black Americans did not share the same legal status as other Americans. 30 years ago, it was illegal in many Southern states for a Black person to marry a White person. 25 years ago we established the first national holiday in honor of a Black American. 20 years ago, Virginia was the first state to elect a Black governor. 15 years ago, the first Black American won a Nobel Literature Prize. 7 years ago the first Black American was elected president of an Ivy League school (Brown). I list these to demonstrate that although the legal barriers fell a generation ago, the mindset of American society does not automatically switch and now "all Black Americans are just like the rest of us". Unfortunately 400 years of inhumane treatment does not melt away that quickly. Irregardless, Black Americans are the neighbors of all other Americans. We may not live next door to you...but we are out there. Even if you never see us...to admit that "you didn't know" just means that you didn't look.

The second issue is that of reaction. Let's remove the community out of this...and let's just say it's a random person out there. Let's say you work with someone. You do not know this person well at all really. However you "discover" that this person is "angry and full of hatred" towards you. Now, how you deal with it shows what your true feelings are in essence. You can choose to ignore it...because you don't know that person anyway...so oh well. And I think that is the way the majority of people would deal with it...because you pick your battles. But why do you ignore it? Probably because you do not care about that person to begin with. You have no vested interest in that person...so oh well. However, let's say you are forced to work together on a project for the company. Now you have another dilemma. You can just tolerate this person....never inquiring as to why they hate you and not caring. Just do what you need to do so that you can just get your paycheck. Or you can confront the issue...say that it is getting in the way of working together productively and stopping the project from being better so that you both can benefit. Again, you do not know their story...and if you are working together, perhaps you should at least give the person that. It could be a ridiculous misunderstanding; it could be irreconcilable differences. Who knows. The point is there is no right way to deal with a situation when you find out some other party has an issue with you. Your true feelings will determine your reaction. If you feel the relationship will be of some benefit...then you hold some interest in delving deeper. If not, then you shrink away.
I'm saying again, most of my friends were not aware of this large percentage of black Americans that felt such anger and hatred towards whites. We also got an eye opener with that one strain of the black church. Neither I nor my friends are stupid or live shetered lives.

Here is where I think "white" america is changing. We are surprised by this hatred of us. And frankly, we don't see any difference between the races. We now have, and I think I'm speaking for A LOT of whites, shed any guilt for evil practices we had no part in. And, no, NO WAY am I going out of my way to understand someone that hates me because I'm white. THEIR BAD CHOICE. I'm judging people as individuals. The angy blacks ala the parishoners of Trinity...do whatever you want. You are going to notice just how colorblind many whites have become since seeing this horrid behavior at that church. I have no guilt and will judge such behavior accordingly. And Mr. Obama is forever tarred with his association to that hatefilled, crazy, race baiting Reverend Wright.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I'm saying again, most of my friends were not aware of this large percentage of black Americans that felt such anger and hatred towards whites. We also got an eye opener with that one strain of the black church. Neither I nor my friends are stupid or live shetered lives.

Here is where I think "white" america is changing. We are surprised by this hatred of us. And frankly, we don't see any difference between the races. We now have, and I think I'm speaking for A LOT of whites, shed any guilt for evil practices we had no part in. And, no, NO WAY am I going out of my way to understand someone that hates me because I'm white. THEIR BAD CHOICE. I'm judging people as individuals. The angy blacks ala the parishoners of Trinity...do whatever you want. You are going to notice just how colorblind many whites have become since seeing this horrid behavior at that church. I have no guilt and will judge such behavior accordingly. And Mr. Obama is forever tarred with his association to that hatefilled, crazy, race baiting Reverend Wright.
No where in that post did I use the word "stupid". Again, you prefer to use the two terms "anger and hatred" and ignore the rest. Really, no one cares rather or not you care. You can join the legion of other White people (and non-White), who wish to do nothing regarding the Black community's situation. That is perfectly fine. But call it like it is; just because you wish to take no ownership for the discrimination present in America today...that does not mean such discrimination does not exist. It also does not give you the right to negate the complaints of Black Americans and discussing these issues in a public forum.

It's very interesting to see how quickly Rev. Wright is named a racist. The vast majority of Americans are White...this is a fact. Therefore, the bulk of the responsibility of the norms, laws, and general means of this county's operation lies on the shoulders of White people. The power base in this country also is skewed towards White people. These are facts; just like the majority of Black Americans will live below the poverty line at some point in their lives...and there are more Black American men in prison then in higher education. A White person getting all upset over criticism regarding the biased norms of America which have chipped away at the collective worth of the Black community is like a Black person getting all upset when you bring to light the perilous statistics regarding the demographics of the Black community. In both cases the feelings are justified in that they are understandable...but are reactions to the superficial things and do nothing but prevent the person from seeing the root of the real problems.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:15 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,008,427 times
Quote:
NO WAY am I going out of my way to understand someone that hates me because I'm white.
Attagirl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections