U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 03:19 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
This is the first time in America that a black man has received the Democratic nomination for President. That is a historical fact.
One page back, post #64

ust out of curiosity why do you keep referring to him as a black man? His mom is white and he was raised by his white grandparents. He is just as white as he is black. Why is the color of his skin so important to you? That is so incredibly shallow to me and completely contradictory to Dr. MLK.

I guess in your world where skin color is so important you would refer to Rashida Jones and Jennifer Beales as "white women".

Photos of Rashida Jones

Photos of Jennifer Beals

It's really sad that the color of ones skin is so important to some people that it becomes the main reason that they'll vote for them.

[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 03:20 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,528,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
One page back, post #64

ust out of curiosity why do you keep referring to him as a black man? His mom is white and he was raised by his white grandparents. He is just as white as he is black. Why is the color of his skin so important to you? That is so incredibly shallow to me and completely contradictory to Dr. MLK.

I guess in your world where skin color is so important you would refer to Rashida Jones and Jennifer Beales as "white women".

Photos of Rashida Jones

Photos of Jennifer Beals

It's really sad that the color of ones skin is so important to some people that it becomes the main reason that they'll vote for them.

[+] Rate this post positively

Newsflash for you....

I am a white woman who was married to a black man and has a 24 year old son who is half black and half white. Thank you. In this world, he is black.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:31 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,627,725 times
Quote:
Newsflash for you....

I am a white woman who was married to a black man and has a 24 year old son who is half black and half white. Thank you. In this world, he is black.
But in this world you dont need to continue to point out, yaa a black man got nominated.

news flash for you, I'm a white male, engaged to a black female and adopted 2 black children. No matter how black other members of my family are, I dont need to walk around announcing their race because their race wasnt a qualification of mine when I dated/adopted them. I looked beyond race and judged them based upon their character etc.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Newsflash for you....

Newsflash, I don't care. Why do you? Btw, since you insist on referring to BO as a "black man" based only on his skin color despite the fact that 1/2 of his parental lineage is not black, how would you describe the two women who's photo's I've linked? You have to go back a page to the link of their pic, it didn't transfer with the copy.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But in this world you dont need to continue to point out, yaa a black man got nominated.

news flash for you, I'm a white male, engaged to a black female and adopted 2 black children. No matter how black other members of my family are, I dont need to walk around announcing their race because their race wasnt a qualification of mine when I dated/adopted them.
Ya know, I get so sick of this crap everybody trying to be so flippin' politically correct in this world. Heaven forbid that someone might offend someone. Have you listened to the media talking about what a historical event this is? Excuse the heck out of me that I called him a black man. Geesh!

Old 06-07-2008, 03:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,432,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
want to get a good idea how most feel about san fran? watch the south park episode, smug alert. I know it is a cartoon, but the are usually quite accurate in their portrayals.

here's a link even. Smug alert: Please allow at least 2 minutes for the Video to Load before reporting it.
Obviously you are the sort that should stay away from satire completely for fear of what you might do.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Ya know, I get so sick of this crap everybody trying to be so flippin' politically correct in this world. Heaven forbid that someone might offend someone. Have you listened to the media talking about what a historical event this is? Excuse the heck out of me that I called him a black man. Geesh!
You pretty much nailed the issue without understanding it.

Its a historical event for the country, that does not mean its an accomplishment and makes him qualified. I expect my presidential candidates to be qualified and actually have accomplished enough to prove to me that he/she can run the largest, most powerful country in the world.

Race or sex is not a concern nor proof that they are capable of doing their job.

Historical absolutely, an accomplishment, surely, but an accomplishment that would prove qualification for president, not on your life..

Old 06-07-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You pretty much nailed the issue without understanding it.

Its a historical event for the country, that does not mean its an accomplishment and makes him qualified. I expect my presidential candidates to be qualified and actually have accomplished enough to prove to me that he/she can run the largest, most powerful country in the world.

Race or sex is not a concern nor proof that they are capable of doing their job.

Historical absolutely, an accomplishment, surely, but an accomplishment that would prove qualification for president, not on your life..
Well, I don't understand how I suddenly became the bad guy in all this. I expect my Presidential candidates to be qualified and I will vote according to their stance on the issues and that's it. This whole thing got twisted somehow.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
we're not being pc, we as conservatives could not care less about color. The media, which is about 95% very liberal, i.e, politically correct, always makes mention of his color. Is it big in an "historical" perspective? Yea, I guess. Does the color of his skin make him qualified for POTUS? Uh, no.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't understand how I suddenly became the bad guy in all this. I expect my Presidential candidates to be qualified and I will vote according to their stance on the issues and that's it. This whole thing got twisted somehow.
Yes, that tends to happen when race is made an issue when it shouldnt be one. Let me give you a small humorous story.

I have a young boy, and a young girl, both to young to read.

I took them both with me on election day to the voting booth, and I told them that they can help me vote,

the boy (again who's black) wanted to vote for Obama, so I had him push a button,

the girl, (again who's black) wanted to vote for Clinton, so I had her push the next button,

Now I'm a republican and in my state, they cant possibly vote for either candidate, but it was more important to me that they learn at their age that regardless of their race and gender, that individuals will vote for them, and that provided they are qualified, that the fact that she's a black girl, and he's black, that those are not excuses for failure. They asked if I was going to vote for Obama or Clinton, and I told them neither, and explained to them that I dont like them because of what they believe in and qualifications, color, or sex did not come up in our discussion because it wasnt important, and I think most of america has been beyond this for years.

I dont know what I will do when they learn the ability to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or