Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:48 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times

Advertisements

Face it, the race with Hillary has been over for quite some time. Mathematically, she has been beaten for months. Hard to imagine that Obama would wait until this late date to begin evaluating potential candidates. I think that effort has long been underway and he already has identified his VP or has narrowed it down to a very few people, with Hillary not being on that list.

What he would like from Hillary is for her to publically throw all her support for him so that her supporters can follow suit. This will happen Saturday. Once Hillary does the proper thing and she is onboard, then he will come out with his VP.

I can hardly wait to see who he selects...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Face it, the race with Hillary has been over for quite some time. Mathematically, she has been beaten for months. Hard to imagine that Obama would wait until this late date to begin evaluating potential candidates. I think that effort has long been underway and he already has identified his VP or has narrowed it down to a very few people, with Hillary not being on that list.

What he would like from Hillary is for her to publically throw all her support for him so that her supporters can follow suit. This will happen Saturday. Once Hillary does the proper thing and she is onboard, then he will come out with his VP.

I can hardly wait to see who he selects...
Like all candidates, Obama has certainly developed a "short list" of names. He is probably looking at 5 people or so and I am sure she is one. But they all remember the trouble Walter Mondale got into with Geraldine Ferraro when all her shady business dealings came to light. They want each candidate investigated and vetted before consideration. The last thing Obama needs is for his VP pick to become an issue.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Obama really needs Ohio this election, it would be difficult for him to win if Ohio goes to McCain.

I think he might pick Ted Strickland, a former Congressman and now Ohio's governor.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
I get the feeling that choosing a VP candidate for the primary purpose of winning a particular state, is kinda short-sighted.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
A poster on this board commented that Strickland has Parkinson's. I don't know if it's true. This could be a negative. Interesting article on who Obama might pick. Many names are being mentioned, but Obama may not choose any of them. Why not take it to convention?

Salon.com | Who will Obama choose as veep? Nope, you're wrong
Clips:
From Webb to Strickland, there are many names bouncing around the blogosphere. If history serves, it will be none of the above.

So will it be Hillary Clinton at the Naval Observatory with a consolation prize? Virginia Sen. Jim Webb bathed in confetti in Denver with the macho vote? Sen. Claire McCaskill in Independence bragging about the last vice president (Harry Truman) to hail from Missouri? Or Gov. Ted Strickland proving that the swing state of Ohio is now the "mother of vice presidents"?
There is a good chance that Barack Obama's ultimate pick for the heartbeat-away job will not be on this list.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:35 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
From Webb to Strickland, there are many names bouncing around the blogosphere. If history serves, it will be none of the above.
LOL, you got that right!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
It will not be billery.

I want John Edwards as Attorny General and Chief Inquisitor.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:07 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Strickland is pretty hard nosed, and has withheld pay raises for upper level (higher paid) state employees. He had already cut out providing free lunches at state sponsered conferences and seminars.

This type of stuff should resonate with the Democratic base. Since Obama really needs the working class vote, these types of actions from his VP selection would go a long way.

Strickland: No pay raise for 3,400 state workers (The Daily Briefing)

Old 06-06-2008, 09:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I get the feeling that choosing a VP candidate for the primary purpose of winning a particular state, is kinda short-sighted.

You mean like Kerry picking Edwards 4 years ago? And then losing NC anyway?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:30 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It will not be billery.

I want John Edwards as Attorny General and Chief Inquisitor.
I don't want Hillary or any of three other women candidates mentioned as VP. Hillary will be better served in another spot in preparation for her next presidential run. Edwards would make a great attorney general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections