Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Interesting that a new cable TV news service is about to start. Founded by JC Watts, it will be an all news channel for blacks. It is set to debut in early 09 on Comcast and Dish Network and he says talks are on going with other providers.
That brings up the question- will blacks actually watch the channel? I ask because this has been tried before. BET used to have a nightly newscast and a weekly public affairs show and they had to cancel them because black people just don't watch news on TV. On the other hand though, black talk radio seems to be doing OK so there must be an audience for it you would think.
Anyway I wish Watts well on his new project!
BLACK NEWS NET - New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Interesting that a new cable TV news service is about to start. Founded by JC Watts, it will be an all news channel for blacks. It is set to debut in early 09 on Comcast and Dish Network and he says talks are on going with other providers.
That brings up the question- will blacks actually watch the channel? I ask because this has been tried before. BET used to have a nightly newscast and a weekly public affairs show and they had to cancel them because black people just don't watch news on TV. On the other hand though, black talk radio seems to be doing OK so there must be an audience for it you would think.
I really find it interesting that someone has to set up a "news channel for blacks". Kind of sounds like segregation to me. I thought this country was past this racial stuff?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:55 AM

454 posts, read 748,844 times
I though we were trying to become a color blind society?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Yes, I agree with above posters, the news is supposed to be impartial, this is just begging to become a skewed platform like Fox. Unless that's the goal, in which case double ix-nay.

Kind of a provocative title, OP. You're going to attract some real lulus.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I really find it interesting that someone has to set up a "news channel for blacks". Kind of sounds like segregation to me. I thought this country was past this racial stuff?
It is not segregation. If it is on your cable or Dish Network, you can watch it too just as you can BET whether you are white or black. They are not going to only allow blacks to get the channel. There is no way they could with Dish Network because I am a subscriber and they do not even ask your race when your order the service from them. While it is geared to appeal to blacks, anybody can watch it and I suspect some whites probably will watch it too.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times
Quote:
yeah, i dont get it personally. i mean, the news is the news. so if it's not the same news, it sounds like it will be "entertainment" news - which is what most news has now (d)evolved into anyway.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
It is not segregation. If it is on your cable or Dish Network, you can watch it too just as you can BET whether you are white or black. They are not going to only allow blacks to get the channel. There is no way they could with Dish Network because I am a subscriber and they do not even ask your race when your order the service from them. While it is geared to appeal to blacks, anybody can watch it and I suspect some whites probably will watch it too.
OK. I take back the word segregation, but do a poll and tell me how many blacks watch BET as opposed to whites who watch BET. Then after this news channel is set up, tell me how many blacks watch it as opposed to whites. Either way you look at it they are focusing on a specific race (as you stated it is geared to appeal to blacks) which I thought we were trying to get past this.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:18 AM

354 posts, read 2,076,030 times
I'm Black and this will be interesting to see. I probaly want watch it regularly. I give it a try before I decide to opinionate it. I hope its not anything like BET news. I'm a fan of local news channels. Why? because it disclose info and events around my surroundings and suburban area. I really don't care for National/World news. I don't want to hear whats going on in China or somewhere.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Default Niche Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
You ever surf cable TV? Its full of channels for "Today's New Jersey Korea", "Polich Chicago" and the like. You also get your business channels and weather channels. A black channel isn't segregation -- its programming to a niche market. I bet they let white folks watch, too. And I'm no JC Watts fan, either.

Get a grip.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
You ever surf cable TV? Its full of channels for "Today's New Jersey Korea", "Polich Chicago" and the like. You also get your business channels and weather channels. A black channel isn't segregation -- its programming to a niche market. I bet they let white folks watch, too. And I'm no JC Watts fan, either.

Get a grip.
Read up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections