Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:35 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times

Advertisements

I dont really understand why taxation is considered the enemy by so many people in this country...especially when the burden now falls on the middle class, and thats where most of you fall. If Obama taxes the rich at a considerably higher tax bracket, whats the big deal? They can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:25 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
I dont really understand why taxation is considered the enemy by so many people in this country...especially when the burden now falls on the middle class, and thats where most of you fall. If Obama taxes the rich at a considerably higher tax bracket, whats the big deal? They can afford it.
Afford it? The issue is they earned it and why is someone else entitled to more of the fruit of their effort? If property ownership is a cornerstone of America is not wealth a property that one has acquired through self or family effort? Why is someone else entitled to your property that you have worked hard for? Taxation for the common good (roads, self defense) is one thing. non voluntary asset transfer from the willing to the unwilling is another matter that should not be up to vote by the public. Of course pickpockets if in the majority will vote to make theft public policy. Unwilling get your hands out of my pocket, stay in school, make wiser financial decisions, invest in your future and provide for your family today and tomorrow.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:29 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
thats true, those who were born into it really earned it.

Once again, I echo the sentiments that the two richest people on the planet have said on multiple occasions...there needs to be redistribution of wealth. Obviously they have a far far greater understanding of economics and capitalism than Joe Car Dealership who nets $1.5 million a year and thinks hes the richest person on the planet.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:
Because many people have been conditioned to believe that taxation is a subsidy for the lazy, shiftless, and trifling.

Yet those same people have no problem making use of the infrastructure that taxation creates and maintains. And now those same people have the nerve to want federal tax dollars to cover private school tuition.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
thats true, those who were born into it really earned it.

Once again, I echo the sentiments that the two richest people on the planet have said on multiple occasions...there needs to be redistribution of wealth. Obviously they have a far far greater understanding of economics and capitalism than Joe Car Dealership who nets $1.5 million a year and thinks hes the richest person on the planet.
I made a point several times to emphasize the role of family in wealth accumulation. It is key to creating inter generational wealth and sustaining upper mobility for the family. There are millions of hard working Americans who are working today to provide for their families and to transfer a portion of their success to their future generations to help sustain their children and their future generations. You think that is wrong and consumption for the moment should be the rule? Inheritance is a think of beauty as it allows you to help provide for those you love after you have left this world. If more people practiced it you would not have so many focused on the moment poor people who consume instead of accumulating. Joe Car Dealership has a key appreciation for economics for thats how he made his money and know's that recession can cause him to lose 1.5 million. Yes he took the risk and would you bail him out when he is not successful? Nah you want to invest in the never will. Go tell those who you want to help to cancel their $80 a month cable contract and to invest the money in a good mutual fund with strong energy holdings. They can name their family as beneficiaries and at current returns for energy stocks wow oh wow. They can take their alcohol and tobacco funds and poor them into energy based funds. Yup take the risk like others, stop complaining and reap the results. Good old fashion American values are still the key to good old fashioned American success.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 AM

454 posts, read 748,844 times
Quote:

This is not true, here is the data (This data was borrowed from another blog that I frequent.)

The average tax rate for the top 25% in 1996 was 18.12%, for the 2nd quintile it was 9.53% and for the bottom 50% it was 4.4%. In 2005 the average tax rate for the top 25% was 15.86% (net change -12%), for the 2nd quintile it was 6.93% (net change -27%), and for the bottom 50% it was 2.98% (net change -32%).

The top 1% paid 39.4% and earned 21.2% of all income. The top 25% of earned 67.5% of the income and paid 86% of the taxes.

The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

Townhall.com::Who's paying the taxes?::By Frank Pastore

The middle class and the lower class have enjoyed a much lower tax cut than the rich, and also, the rich shoulders a much bigger tax burden than the other two.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:02 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,829 times
On education, Obama IMO wins hands down. Not because of his plan for merit pay for teachers either. Anyone who goes into teaching should know it's not for the money. I support his plan to overhaul NCLB. That act, overall, is a disaster for kids and teachers. However Obama's plan for education may not be enough for me to vote for him. There are many, many other concerns I have about him to give me great pause to vote for him.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
On education, Obama IMO wins hands down. Not because of his plan for merit pay for teachers either. Anyone who goes into teaching should know it's not for the money. I support his plan to overhaul NCLB. That act, overall, is a disaster for kids and teachers. However Obama's plan for education may not be enough for me to vote for him. There are many, many other concerns I have about him to give me great pause to vote for him.
Sorry but education is a very financially rewarding career. Very good long term financials. While current salary for someone with a real math degree might be below market rates, teaching for those with degrees in English, Phys Ed and Elementary just to name a few are above rates. Less then 20% of Americans still have a pension and the average pension is about $ 9,000 a year. Teacher pensions pay about 60% of your three highest average salaries for LIFE, wow think about that. So a teaching career with 60% pension, 403B investments and social security allows most teachers to be retired at 62. That is not the norm in America. Yes my friend those with majors in fields where the private sector pays less are flocking to teaching for the money. What is the top of the scale in your area of the country and how many English and Phys Ed majors make that much at the end of their careers? Especially without true advanced degrees in their content area. Job security wow oh wow even in tough times like this. Take a guess about how many mortgage brokers have contacted their local school system employment office saying " I really like kids and think that working with kids would be a good use of my considerable talents". Translation " I need a job, I need health care benefits, I have a family to feed and need job security". They will even take jobs as assistants for the security in many areas.

Yes that is why so many hate their jobs and still stay with the profession because they can't make that much doing anything else that they could get hired for. Yeah the average art major makes how much selling their paintings or working in the local art store? Yeah big demand and salaries for graphic designers. Book editors oh yeah big demand and salaries there.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:37 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,743 times
Obama's plans are "nice" but they are going to cost hundreds of BILLIONS that we don't have and can only get by taxation.

Obama says he is going to increase taxes on the rich. THAT'S SHORTSIGHTED REASONING. Doing that will not be anywhere near what he would need just for his education programs. Not EVEN in the ballpark!

I don't think it is fair to punish someone who has succeeded by giving them a bigger tax burden. If so, what is the incintive to be successful knowing you will face huge, out of proportion to earnings, taxes?

Quote:
Once again, I echo the sentiments that the two richest people on the planet have said on multiple occasions...there needs to be redistribution of wealth.
Go ahead and echo all you want but when those two people redistribute their own wealth please let us know!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
Obama's plans are "nice" but they are going to cost hundreds of BILLIONS that we don't have and can only get by taxation.

Obama says he is going to increase taxes on the rich. THAT'S SHORTSIGHTED REASONING. Doing that will not be anywhere near what he would need just for his education programs. Not EVEN in the ballpark!

I don't think it is fair to punish someone who has succeeded by giving them a bigger tax burden. If so, what is the incintive to be successful knowing you will face huge, out of proportion to earnings, taxes?

Go ahead and echo all you want but when those two people redistribute their own wealth please let us know!
I'm beginning to think that even a high quality education for all kids, is some people's idea of "redistribution of wealth".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections