Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
I beg to differ. The dems benefit from race baiting as they are certainly doing now with Obama. Also as long as they can convince some of black americans that they are victims of racism and need protection they will have that vote.

And what about Rev Wright, Rev Pfleger, Rev Jackson and Rev Al? Their stream of money would dry right up if they weren't selling racism and victimhood.
If not for the media, you wouldn't know any of the people you just mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Of course there is nothing to back this up. Simply an opinion (a very wrong one) that the poster has decided is fact. Frankly it is offensive, but indicative of the attitude that liberals exhibit all the time - making all sorts of assertions and passing them off as facts without bothering to provide proof.

And I'm sure that the poster has a great explanation as to why it is not racist, bigotted, and/or prejudiced for the Democrat Party to tell minorities that they CANNOT succeed in life without their help. Hell, look at how the Democrats classify everyone in the country into nice, neat little groups - or how liberals go call any black person an Uncle Tom if they dare to stray away from the Democrat plantation - and tell me how that isn't racism.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I just can't believe the dems can't see this in their own party...I guess they think they are doing those poor people that can't compete on their own merits a favor by lowering the bar and keeping them dependent on welfare entitlements...Most republicans I know think everyone is equal and should be treated the same. What a bizarro view of the world the dems have. Martin Luther King must be shaking his head in heaven watching this Obama debacle.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:44 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Quote:
Took the words right out of my mouth. I just can't believe the dems can't see this in their own party...I guess they think they are doing those poor people that can't compete on their own merits a favor by lowering the bar and keeping them dependent on welfare entitlements...Most republicans I know think everyone is equal and should be treated the same. What a bizarro view of the world the dems have. Martin Luther King must be shaking his head in heaven watching this Obama debacle.
Really? Interesting.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:52 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Really? Interesting.
I usually find that most racists are racist. I normally don't ask racists who they support for president. don't know about you. how delusional is the OP?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Im sure you (and most Republicans you know of course) are thinking of welfare queens cruising down the boulevard in their government Cadillacs, and I dont deny there are such people somewhere, though they've been having to to work a lot harder for their cigarette money since 1996. Twelve years ago that would be.

You said it yourself - "those poor people who cant compete on their own merits". (Oh, you said "that can't compete," 'scuse me.) Without berating you for your smug numbness and your numb smugness, let me just point out to you that these folks are as bright as you, me or your mother, they just dont have the "merits."

Shouldnt everyone in this country feel part of the story, part of the whole, excited in a positive way to be "an American" from kindergarten onward? I realize funding of schools is a state and local issue, but I think a new broom-atmosphere plus some sensible firing, hiring, volunteering and cost-cutting might trickle down to where children in, say, Philadelphia don't have to share outdated textbooks.

I take it you dont go around often to the "poor" schools in your area. Your attitude toward people different than yourself might soften after a week substitute- or assistant-teaching at one. Or asking your pastor what you can do to help. A true Christian pastor will know. Funny he hasn't approached you yet to represent the church.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,860 times
So far, I have seen a fairly even split. There are people that I know who I never in a million years would have thought could entertain the idea of a black president, and they are contemplating just that, It's amazing!

On the other hand, I have noticed a lot of media attention focusing on the race factor and that does seem to be feeding into the us vs them mentality, but I don't see much evidence that it is working.

I also think that there is a difference between being a racist and being someone who recognizes race, sure it will be great when our nation is actually colorblind, but for now I am satisfied with simply not thinking that you are better than the next man or woman based solely on your race. I feel that we have made some pretty impressive strides, I just hope that Obama's successes or failures are attributed to him as a man, not him as a black man.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:14 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,633 times
Default Hopelessness-Ruling Order of the Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
If anything we may see another "rebirth" of the KKK where more young white boys are being recruited and we could some some isolated attacks on black people.
And please remember that it could be a black revolt as well. With many black young men not having any hope, what difference would it make for them not to do the same unto white people. Death is no longer a fear. Homicidal or a self-inflicted suicide is now considered to be a honorable way to leave this realm of life.
Life does not matter much to those without a dream for the future or hope for one.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:59 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Racism is still alive and well; it just isn't at the forefront of national attention (unless something really gross happens...like the Jena 6). If we have a Black president, these issues may resurface....although it's sad that it takes "major events" for the general public to notice these things. Just goes to show that the majority of this country is not that socially aware at all.
Oh, it is DEFINETELY at the forefront of national attention because of the hatred spewed by the far left! Unfortunately, racism is always going to be an issue as the mass media always tries to divide the people any way they can.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I usually find that most racists are racist.
LOL good point

Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
And please remember that it could be a black revolt as well. With many black young men not having any hope, what difference would it make for them not to do the same unto white people. Death is no longer a fear. Homicidal or a self-inflicted suicide is now considered to be a honorable way to leave this realm of life.
Life does not matter much to those without a dream for the future or hope for one.
And who praytell in the post MLK era taught them that? The greatest period of prosperity and wealth accumulation for many Black folk and now who do w think taught them that Whitey had a noose around their neck and there was no hope.
Farrakhan is Not the Problem

Perhaps when white folks begin to show as much concern for the bigoted statements and, more to the point, murderous actions of white political leaders as we show over the statements of Louis Farrakhan, then we'll deserve to be taken seriously in this thing we call a "national dialogue on race." Until then, however, folks of color will continue--and rightly, understandably so--to view us as trying to dodge our personal responsibility for our share of the problem. They will view us, and with good reason, as merely using Farrakhan so that we can divert attention from institutional discrimination, institutionalized white privilege and power, and the way in which white denial maintains a lid on social change, by creating the impression that everything is fine, and whatever isn't fine is the fault of crazy, militant black people, who follow crazy and hateful religious leaders.

In this way, white Americans can continue to pretend that the nation's racial problem isn't about us; that we are but passive observers of a drama concocted by others, over which only they have any control. And in this way, we guarantee the perpetuation of the very enmity we claim not to understand, the very tension we cannot comprehend, and the chasm-like divide that was created in our name and for our historic benefit, no matter how much we try and shift the blame now, heads rooted firmly in the proverbial sand.

Parents do you know who your child is being taught by?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections