Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 AM

136 posts, read 515,621 times

Advertisements

Thankyou Delusianne. That is a good webpage to give posters an idea of what our military's disibility program is like. And with this war going on there are thousands of veterans in need of medical care and compensation. This expense will get larger as more claims are filed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If anything, it points out a problem with the military payment plan. Should soemone who earned $400K a year, be allowed or entitled to collect disability from the military? Individuals on SSI cant go get a job and earn $400K a year, even if they are disabled, why should members of the military be any different?
I think the military does it straight across the board, no matter what you earn outside. That said, $4K a month was a lot bigger in the 70s than it is now. But there it is.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 AM

136 posts, read 515,621 times
Quote:
If anything, it points out a problem with the military payment plan. Should soemone who earned $400K a year, be allowed or entitled to collect disability from the military? Individuals on SSI cant go get a job and earn $400K a year, even if they are disabled, why should members of the military be any different?
Maybe so, that is a good point that would help save government money for the many veterans now who will need this compensation. However, your current income has no input on what disability you receive and I am not sure if there would be a solution for change of this policy.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
John McCain, who is refusing to vote for the GI Bill for our troops because "it's too generous," is himself getting $58,000 a year, tax-free, from the US government for his military service. Had McCain been getting that amount every year since Vietnam, that would total $2,000,000 for the man who isn't into overgenerous government.

McCain campaign strategist Mark Salter said Monday night that McCain was technically disabled. "Tortured for his country .. that is how he acquired his disability," Salter said.

Technically? What does that mean? Usually, it means that under the strict reading of the law, you're covered, but in fact it's kind of a nudge-nudge-wink-wink situation - that's what "technically" means. It's called parsing, which is something you do to "technically" claim something is true, when on its face it really isn't. So is McCain "technically" disabled, and taking $58,000 a year tax free from the government, or is he actually disabled? I would imagine there are other solders who are actually disabled who could use the money. And if he is actually disabled, just how disabled is he?
So, McCain is receiving disability payments along with Social Security. This for a man who's family is worth over $100 million. This for a man who complains about entitlements and wasteful government spending. What a hypocrite.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think the military does it straight across the board, no matter what you earn outside. That said, $4K a month was a lot bigger in the 70s than it is now. But there it is.
There is nothing to show that McCain was receving $4K a month in the 70's...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach kat View Post
Maybe so, that is a good point that would help save government money for the many veterans now who will need this compensation. However, your current income has no input on what disability you receive and I am not sure if there would be a solution for change of this policy.
Come to think of it, individuals on SSI cant usually even get married without being thrown off SSI or losing medical benefits, because the income limits on couples are so low.

All this does is demonstrate how the GI Bill that McCain did not support might actually have been to generous. I havent read the bill to know for sure, but $50K a year sounds pretty decent for life.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:27 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,077,947 times
Quote:
Come to think of it, individuals on SSI cant usually even get married without being thrown off SSI or losing medical benefits, because the income limits on couples are so low.

All this does is demonstrate how the GI Bill that McCain did not support might actually have been to generous. I havent read the bill to know for sure, but $50K a year sounds pretty decent for life.
Unless the system is drastically different than 5 years ago. this is what happens. A military member retires at 20 years at half Basic pay. Since John McCain was a Captain, he receives retirement pay equaling half of his active duty pay. Now, the part of his retirement pay that is nontaxable is based on his disability ranking. You have to have a disability rating of 30 percent or more to get any nontax income. This is not a "disability payment" it is his retirement pay, with tax adjustment. The service men and women do not actually receive any disability payments over the retirement they earned."

Old 06-09-2008, 08:40 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
So, McCain is receiving disability payments along with Social Security. This for a man who's family is worth over $100 million. This for a man who complains about entitlements and wasteful government spending. What a hypocrite.
Totally agree with that. There is a complete misapplication of funds in regards to military benefits.

Many physically and mentally impaired veterans are caught in an endless sea of red tape and never receive the care or money that they so need, while others who are of sound body and mind are being completely overcompensated. It's ridiculous.

My brother went to the Naval Academy and will retire as a Navy Captain at 43. He will receive $50,000 + annually for the rest of his life. Along with the lucrative business career opportunities that await him after such an early retirement, $50,000 per year for life seems crazy to me. (He would disown me as a sister for saying that). But truthfully, we civilians are getting screwed out of our 401k's and pensions of any size are a thing of the past for most of us, if we can find a job at all.

I don't mean to discredit McCain's military sacrifices or anyone else's, but come on. Where is the fairness in this? Many people serve our country in other ways and what is waiting for us at the typical age of retirement? Little if nothing it looks like.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
My brother went to the Naval Academy and will retire as a Navy Captain at 43. He will receive $50,000 + annually for the rest of his life. Along with the lucrative business career opportunities that await him after such an early retirement, $50,000 per year for life seems crazy to me.
So your story (assuming its true) confirms that McCain is not receiving any special prvilidges, and that his not supporting the GI Bill (which would have added yet more money) would be the correct vote.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
There is nothing to show that McCain was receving $4K a month in the 70's...
Im not sure but I think the military doesnt increase disability to meet cost of living. Maybe someone could look that up. Not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections