Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,506,288 times

Advertisements

I wonder who would win an election in places like West Virginia or Kentucky between a black conservative and a white liberal? Has there ever been a match-up like this? I tried to google this but came up empty. The point here is whether race trumps ideology when people go to the voting booth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 11:32 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,531,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I wonder who would win an election in places like West Virginia or Kentucky between a black conservative and a white liberal? Has there ever been a match-up like this? I tried to google this but came up empty. The point here is whether race trumps ideology when people go to the voting booth.
I think it depends on the region.

But ask yourself this question: how many Black conservative Senators, governors and Congressmen currently serve in those elective offices.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM

105 posts, read 228,271 times
Two things hurt black conservatives when running for office. There are still some folks who will not vote for a black regardless of where the black person stands on the issues. Also, black conservatives have to deal with the charge of being an "Uncle Tom" by many fellow blacks.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
Two things hurt black conservatives when running for office. There are still some folks who will not vote for a black regardless of where the black person stands on the issues. Also, black conservatives have to deal with the charge of being an "Uncle Tom" by many fellow blacks.
Agree with the first part; strongly disagree with the second part.

We have always considered voting for Black conservatives. What we won't support, are Black conservatives who gratuitously condemn and critique the majority of Black people, in exchange for appeasing non-Blacks.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Agree with the first part; strongly disagree with the second part.

We have always considered voting for Black conservatives. What we won't support, are Black conservatives who gratuitously condemn and critique the majority of Black people, in exchange for appeasing non-Blacks.

I disagree that the reason blacks don't support black conservatives is because they "gratuitously condemn and critique the majority of black people, in exchange for appeasing non-blacks". It seems like almost every time a black talks of being against affirmative, cutting back on government largesse, or people taking responsibility for their own actions, a certain segment of the black community excoriates them with charges of being an "Uncle Tom". Also, just because a black proffers solutions or ideas that are conservative, that does not mean they he/she is simply trying to appease the white community. It might actually be that he/she is simply advocating a position that he/she strongly believes in.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I disagree that the reason blacks don't support black conservatives is because they "gratuitously condemn and critique the majority of black people, in exchange for appeasing non-blacks". It seems like almost every time a black talks of being against affirmative, cutting back on government largesse, or people taking responsibility for their own actions, a certain segment of the black community excoriates them with charges of being an "Uncle Tom". Also, just because a black proffers solutions or ideas that are conservative, that does not mean they he/she is simply trying to appease the white community. It might actually be that he/she is simply advocating a position that he/she strongly believes in.
On what do you base your opinion?

Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
On what do you base your opinion?

I base my opinion on the way a fair amount of the black community has looked with disdain black conservatives like Clarence Thomas and Larry Elder. The vitriol that Clarence Thomas has had to endure since he became a Supreme Court justice is sad. I've also spoken to blacks who are friends and/or co-workers of mine and heard their negative sentiment towards the above-mentioned individuals and other black conservatives. A main bone of contention for them seems to be Messrs. Thomas and Elder's strong condemnation of affirmative action and government largesse/intrusion.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I base my opinion on the way a fair amount of the black community has looked with disdain black conservatives like Clarence Thomas and Larry Elder. The vitriol that Clarence Thomas has had to endure since he became a Supreme Court justice is sad. I've also spoken to blacks who are friends and/or co-workers of mine and heard their negative sentiment towards the above-mentioned individuals and other black conservatives. A main bone of contention for them seems to be Messrs. Thomas and Elder's strong condemnation of affirmative action and government largesse/intrusion.
I rather doubt that you have knowledge of a "fair amount" of what we in the Black community think (any more than I can know what a fair amount of the Korean community thinks). I'll accept that you know what you know, based on media and having a couple of Black co-workers. But please take a little advice; your credibility will go much farther if you acknowledge that your knowledge is limited to such.

That said, if you were Black and over the age of 40--which I happen to be--you'd know that there were plenty of Black men and women with conservative ideologies well before the ones you've heard about. The difference is that they stood on their principles for the uplift of the Black community, not for White gratuity. That's the difference between a Shannon Reeves and a Jesse Lee Peterson.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:18 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,506,288 times
Can Louis Farrakhan be considered a conservative? After all, he's a religious guy, he believes in strong families, he believes in personal responsibility (eg. million man march), etc. Farrakhan would actually fit the description of a conservative. So why is it that white conservatives demonize him - a person with whom they share many core values? It's funny. Same argument holds for Muslim Americans. Muslims are actually quite conservative culturally, and except for the difference in the gods that they worship, Muslim fundamentalists and Christian fundamentalists have much in common.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:27 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,802,268 times
Lets face it folks. Most of the regions in KY and WV are unfriendly to Blacks - that's the reality. Having said that, you can have black Jesus on the ticket and still not get considerable votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections