Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,600,693 times

Advertisements

Rasmussen Reports™: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election.

All Rasmussen Reports' survey questions are digitally recorded and fed to a calling program that determines question order, branching options, and other factors. Calls are placed to randomly-selected phone numbers through a process that insures appropriate geographic representation. Typically, calls are placed from 5 pm to 9 pm local time during the week. Saturday calls are made from 11 am to 6 pm local time and Sunday calls from 1 pm to 9 pm local time.

After the calls are completed, the raw data is processed through a weighting program to insure that the sample reflects the overall population in terms of age, race, gender, political party, and other factors. The processing step is required because different segments of the population answer the phone in different ways. For example, women answer the phone more than men, older people are home more and answer more than younger people, and rural residents typically answer the phone more frequently than urban residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 04:54 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,884,092 times
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

Includes the up tick for female support Obama

Old 06-11-2008, 06:05 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,401,159 times
I think MI's in play this year.

Dems have killed the local economy and McCain is a guy they can like and respect. However, BO has the black vote.

That'll be an interesting race, but the polls don't mean anything right now.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,532,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I think MI's in play this year.

Dems have killed the local economy and McCain is a guy they can like and respect. However, BO has the black vote.

That'll be an interesting race, but the polls don't mean anything right now.

Democrats didn't kill Michigan's economy.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,776,394 times
Quote:
Who run's the state?

Old 06-11-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Sure they didn't. I'll try to reconcile that with the reality of living there most of my life.

Bad schools: unions.

Bad auto industry: unions.

Bad business environment: about a year after Dems took office in my experience.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,394,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Who run's the state?
Who runs the country? Aren't you always claiming it's not Bush's fault when there is an economic downturn? You can't have it both ways.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Who runs the country? Aren't you always claiming it's not Bush's fault when there is an economic downturn? You can't have it both ways.
Difference is that the enormous bloc of the Democratic party in Michigan are the people that are killing the state. Even if the MI Dems did have good ideas, they couldn't implement them because they're beholden to the unions. Further, to add insult to injury, Granholm went and raised taxes recently... during a recession.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,532,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Sure they didn't. I'll try to reconcile that with the reality of living there most of my life.

Bad schools: unions.

Bad auto industry: unions.

Bad business environment: about a year after Dems took office in my experience.
After living there most of my life I'd say the Auto industries problem was then, what it is today - extremely opposed to embracing a product that the consumer demands. This has single-handedly led to the institution of the two largest and most successful Auto Manufacturers in the World - Honda & Toyota.

Michigan led the Nation in great schools for many years and part of the reason was the success of the Teachers union and it's ability to represent the needs of it's members. They had better medical, equitable contracts, and fair retirement for it's members as well as excellent teacher retention compared to much of the Nation. Michigan also was one of the few places in the US where IF you received a teaching degree from one of it's Universities you could retroactively teach in most of the US.

The business environment was in trouble at least fifteen years ago, and possibly quite a bit longer when you consider the stubbornness of the Big Three and it's impact on the tax base. Study Flint.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,828,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
After living there most of my life I'd say the Auto industries problem was then, what it is today - extremely opposed to embracing a product that the consumer demands. This has single-handedly led to the institution of the two largest and most successful Auto Manufacturers in the World - Honda & Toyota.
Amen! Detroit ignored the changing world, that's why they got into trouble. Detroit was still focused on trucks and Hummers long after the pendulum had swung to fuel-efficient cars.

And American cars are just not as well made. I'm sorry--I bought into the Buy American campaign several years ago. Nearly died in a car accident because my American car was a piece of cr*p. I drive Toyotas now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections