U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:06 AM

2,289 posts, read 3,739,426 times

Advertisements

For the record, I don't believe that McCain is some kind of bigot. But I do think that he was negligent in dismissing the importance of an MLK holiday. His negligence, however, made it appear that he shared the same mindset of some of the Dixiecrat Republicans of the 1980's.

He'd be well served by just acknowledging that he was ignorant of the significance; wrong for voting against the holiday; and move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 AM

7,903 posts, read 13,935,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
For the record, I don't believe that McCain is some kind of bigot. But I do think that he was negligent in dismissing the importance of an MLK holiday. His negligence, however, made it appear that he shared the same mindset of some of the Dixiecrat Republicans of the 1980's.

He'd be well served by just acknowledging that he was ignorant of the significance; wrong for voting against the holiday; and move forward.
Well said.

I don't think he's a bigot either, but its something he should have addressed already...

Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 AM

207 posts, read 286,713 times
Good grief ... the way some people talks about MLK you would think the guy had magical powers and could fly.

So what if McCain opposed MLK day. MLK day was an excuse for blacks to not have to work that day. Not exactly good for the economy.

On a side note: MLK would have been an abject failure if he didn't have help from whites.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:16 AM

207 posts, read 286,713 times
Why should one group of people get the day off?

If everyone got the day off on MLK it would hurt the economy.

It's simple economics.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 AM

8,575 posts, read 2,378,227 times
federal holidays we have for people.
george washington
MLK
christopher columbus
jesus

a couple of those don't belong, and if they wanted a black man to have a federal holiday for, they could have done a lot better than MLK. I'd take frederick douglass any day.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 AM

524 posts, read 541,466 times
Many people find it insulting that MLK is the only American with his own holiday.

Has he done more for this country than anyone else? I'm sorry, but no.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM

2,654 posts, read 3,663,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
Why should one group of people get the day off?

If everyone got the day off on MLK it would hurt the economy.

It's simple economics.
uhhhhhh they dont.

Good point on the day off thought though, lets cancel Christmas.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM

524 posts, read 541,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
federal holidays we have for people.
george washington
MLK
christopher columbus
jesus

a couple of those don't belong, and if they wanted a black man to have a federal holiday for, they could have done a lot better than MLK. I'd take frederick douglass any day.
Washington no longer has his own holiday. Washington's & Lincoln's birthdays have become "President's Day". As if all Presidents have had the same degree of success, and should be celebrated equally....

Old 06-12-2008, 10:45 AM

7,903 posts, read 13,935,293 times
So um since when is MLK day only for black people?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 AM

8,575 posts, read 2,378,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
So um since when is MLK day only for black people?
they might be referring to federal employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections