Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 03:23 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,274 times

Advertisements

LOL, flip-flop just can't get through a day w/o putting a foot in his mouth I swear. Who was it on CD that said McCain was for privatizing Social Sec while Ron Paul was not? Hmm... I wonder if it was the same person with the ill conceived notion that McCain reflected a Libertarian Republican... no wait! A libertarian Republican (as if there's any difference). Priceless...

John McCain tried to deny past comments on Social Security reform yesterday, a move which has exposed him to criticism from his rival as well as obscuring the record on what entitlement changes McCain would seek to correct.

During last night's pre-screened town hall, John McCain took a hard line against George Bush's plan to privatize social security saying, "But I'm not for quote privatizing Social Security, I never have been, I never will be."

But that doesn't quite fit with past comments made by McCain on social security. In fact, he was a big supporter of privatizing social security in 2004:

"Without privatization, I don't see how you can possibly, over time, make sure that young Americans are able to receive Social Security benefits."

The DNC has footage of both statements:

He also told the Wall Street Journal this March that "as part of Social Security reform, I believe that private savings accounts are a part of it - along the lines of what President Bush proposed."

Sen. Obama has already responded, sensing a potential soft spot of support among McCain followers on an issue that he has previously injected into the election cycle. From his prepared remarks:

Now, John McCain's ideas on Social Security amount to four more years of what was attempted and failed under George Bush. He said he supports private accounts for Social Security - in his words, "along the lines that President Bush proposed." Yesterday he tried to deny that he ever took that position, leaving us wondering if he had a change of heart or a change of politics.

Well let me be clear: privatizing Social Security was a bad idea when George W. Bush proposed it. It's a bad idea today. It would eventually cut guaranteed benefits by up to 50%. It would cost a trillion dollars that we don't have to implement on the front end, permanently elevating our debt. And most of all, it would gamble the retirement plans of millions of Americans on the stock market. That's why I stood up against this plan in the Senate, and that's why I won't stand for it as President.

Howard Dean has also released a statement:

"John McCain should realize that the American people know a bad idea when they see one. Despite the rhetoric, the facts don't lie. Senator McCain not only supports privatizing Social Security, he was part of the Bush propaganda machine that tried to sell it to the American people. The American people cannot afford another Republican president who will put the retirement security of millions of hard working families at risk. Telling the voters he opposes privatizing Social Security when he clearly supports it is not the 'straight talk' Senator McCain promised the American people. Senator McCain is ill-suited to be President if he thinks the American people won't notice when he says something in 2008 that is the exact opposite of what he said in 2004 and 2005."

Source:
John McCain Denies Social Security Comments - Politics on The Huffington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:06 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,274 times
McCain says he'll never privatize Social Security and no comments? Where are the pundits who purport McCain is a libertarian conservative?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:13 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,907 times
Pre screened town hall? Yet he wants Obama to attend 10 pre screened townhalls filled with his supporters? What a joke!!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:15 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
McCain says he'll never privatize Social Security and no comments? Where are the pundits who purport McCain is a libertarian conservative?
I see your link has the video showing McCain to be a liar. Perhaps those McCain backers are afraid to click on anything that says Huff Po, so here it is again:

YouTube - McCain Flip Flops on Social Security

Old 06-15-2008, 08:22 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,004 times
John Mccain is fake and a fony. He points out other people mistakes while he is doing the exact same thing. He talks down on the president while ihe supports the same policies as the president.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:16 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
You know, McCain's strategy really should be to embrace the flip-flop.

He should simply say that's what he means by "change you can believe in." If he would develop a policy of saying "I used to believe that but times are different and now I've changed my mind" people would probably go along with him.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,280 times
Will Senator McCain change social security as we know it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections