Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:16 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,257,182 times

Advertisements

Gee, I wonder if this will be running on endless loop in the corporate media for weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 10:07 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,064,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Gee, I wonder if this will be running on endless loop in the corporate media for weeks.
Doesn't seem like the Republicans in here want to run with it

Like they did with Michelle.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:20 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,640,104 times
A statement like that wouldn't have made many people flinch before 9/11. But now if you don't wrap yourself in the flag and blindly support everything your government does, you're a traitor.

Ironic, when you consider that if you couldn't criticize your country, this nation would never have been founded. We would have just caved in to the monarchy and remained pliant British citizens.

Dissent is patriotic. The ability to disagree with your government is the cornerstone of free speech. The flag-waving superpatriots can't comprehend that.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:44 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,064,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
A statement like that wouldn't have made many people flinch before 9/11. But now if you don't wrap yourself in the flag and blindly support everything your government does, you're a traitor.

Ironic, when you consider that if you couldn't criticize your country, this nation would never have been founded. We would have just caved in to the monarchy and remained pliant British citizens.

Dissent is patriotic. The ability to disagree with your government is the cornerstone of free speech. The flag-waving superpatriots can't comprehend that.

Thanks, Good post! I have to 'spread rep around' or I'd give you one.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,812,978 times
It's becoming somewhat boring to see that some here are unable to parse the difference between simple phrases such as:

- "for the first time in my life I'm proud of my country" - Obama's wife

and

- sometimes it's difficult to be proud.

It really isn't that difficult. . . .

Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,215,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
It's becoming somewhat boring to see that some here are unable to parse the difference between simple phrases such as:

- "for the first time in my life I'm proud of my country" - Obama's wife

and

- sometimes it's difficult to be proud.

... if you grew up taking for granted the fact that you were assured the right to vote - and that no one to try to prevent you from doing so

... if you grew up taking for granted the fact that you didn't need to worry about whether or not you would be able to sit at the counter in the local restaurant

... if you grew up taking for granted the fact that real estate agents wouldn't try to redirect you away from the nicer areas of town towards those more appropriate to YOUR kind of people

... if you grew up taking for granted the fact that the schools you attend would get the same level of funding as those of the kids across town who happened to have a skin color lighter than yours

... if you grew up taking for granted the fact that you would be offered jobs commensurate with your level of education and skill, rather than lower-paid menial jobs

... if you grew up taking for granted the fact that you could choose where on the bus you wanted to sit

... if you grew up taking for granted the fact that you need not fear that men in white hoods might come in the middle of the night to lynch you because you had the audacity to make a pass at an attactive woman who was not of your race

Yeah, I suppose if you grew up taking for granted all those things, if you didn't have mothers and fathers and aunts and uncles who had to fight (and sometimes die) to achieve all those things that others in your country had LONG taken for granted then YEAH, I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult to parse the difference between such simple phrases.

The fact is, though the country is MUCH improved in these regards, growing up Black during the time Michelle Obama did was still a LOT different from growing up White. Even if she didn't experience racism personally, she surely heard about the racism her older relatives had to endure.

You know what they say about walking a mile in someone else's shoes.
You should try it some time.

Ken

Old 06-16-2008, 10:09 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,776,394 times
None of that applies to Michelle Obama. What kind of background did she come from?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
None of that applies to Michelle Obama. What kind of background did she come from?
And you KNOW that for a FACT?
YOU have NO idea of what kind of racism she may have encountered over the years.

Besides, it doesn't matter if it happened personally to her or not. The fact is it happened to people who were of her race and her color - to people she's met - and had she been born just ten or twenty years earlier it would SURELY have happened to her as well. She was born early enough that the struggle for those hard-won "rights" were still still pretty fresh in the minds of everyone she grew up with. In fact, she was born (1964) in the midst of that struggle - in the turbulent decade when most of those "rights" were being finally achieved. During the time she was growing up NONE of those recent "rights" could be yet taken for granted.

How can you not expect it to color her perception of her country?

Ken

Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 AM

540 posts, read 959,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

You know what they say about walking a mile in someone else's shoes.
You should try it some time.

Ken
ahh yes...plenty of reason to be bitter towards her country that gave:

her husband the opportunity to become a US Senator;

her the opportunity to get an education at Harvard and Princeton, then become a lawyer;

her brother the opportunity to coach a college basketball team;

her the opportunity to earn $273,618 in 2006;

her the opportunity to sit on the board of directors for a major corporation.

Poor poor Michelle

Old 06-16-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
ahh yes...plenty of reason to be bitter towards her country that gave:

her husband the opportunity to become a US Senator;

her the opportunity to get an education at Harvard and Princeton, then become a lawyer;

her brother the opportunity to coach a college basketball team;

her the opportunity to earn $273,618 in 2006;

her the opportunity to sit on the board of directors for a major corporation.

Poor poor Michelle
Her country didn't GIVE her anything.

She EARNED it.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections