Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,509 times

Advertisements

I actually didn't care who won between Obama and Hillary until Hillary started to play nasty then my mind changed against her. I am and will always be a democrat, but if there is a democrat that is running whom I have no faith in then I simply don't bother to vote for that individual. I see Obama as a man of character who says what he means when he says "It's Time For A Change" and who in the right sense cannot admit that it is definitely time for a change in this country? When Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson entertained the idea of running for president I was one of the first to say "Hellllll Noooo", but that was because I don't believe in what they stand for and they are blacks just as I am. There are quite a few blacks who doesn't like Obama because they think he does not represent the black folks, but then again those are the ones that wants a black man in the white house like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Right now the way I see it, the only down fall that Obama has is because he's got black in him. It's quite amusing how many Americans are bypassing the fact that he is actually half white. But once again it's that darn black in him that makes him so bad. What a shame!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
Race certainly was a factor in the Democratic primaries but may not be as much a factor in the election. Every Latino I know voted for Hillary & primarily b/c of Obama's race [bi-racial at that!]. But these are Democratic voters in the West who never vote Republican [unless its someone like Schwarzenegger].

It was disappointing seeing the Southern whites vote strongly for Clinton in the primaries & I wonder if that is strictly racism.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:50 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Race certainly was a factor in the Democratic primaries but may not be as much a factor in the election. Every Latino I know voted for Hillary & primarily b/c of Obama's race [bi-racial at that!]. But these are Democratic voters in the West who never vote Republican [unless its someone like Schwarzenegger].

It was disappointing seeing the Southern whites vote strongly for Clinton in the primaries & I wonder if that is strictly racism.
well, I have a hard time taking this opinion all that seriously. we all know that all decisions are made in washington and the surrounding suburbs. as someone so far out of the loop, I hardly find this opinion too credible. I lived inside the beltway for most of my life, I know how it works. I don't know where you get the southern whites thing. didn't obama win NC, SC, VA, and other states in the south?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
well, I have a hard time taking this opinion all that seriously. we all know that all decisions are made in washington and the surrounding suburbs. as someone so far out of the loop, I hardly find this opinion too credible. I lived inside the beltway for most of my life, I know how it works. I don't know where you get the southern whites thing. didn't obama win NC, SC, VA, and other states in the south?
Obama won those states b/c of the strong black vote. Look at all the data: Hillary won among working-class white males in nearly all Southern states. The irony is that the black vote this election could turn red states blue

Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
Quote:
Obama won those states b/c of the strong black vote. Look at all the data: Hillary won among working-class white males in nearly all Southern states. The irony is that the black vote this election could turn red states blue :cool
not likely. all of these states have liberal areas. it wasn't just the black vote that got him in. NC is home to one of the most liberal cities in the US. I bet you he got all the white votes there. the so called "south" which you describe, is just rural areas. I got bad news, but there are rural areas throughout the the US.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:33 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Exactly. As the first black man running for pres., Obama is breaking ground that will make it much easier for future black, hispanic, oriental, etc. candidates. I applaud him for that. Whether you plan to vote for him or not, he is opening doors for our future that were previously locked tight.

I will always vote Democrat, so it doesn't affect my vote, but I'll be honest, I am personally thrilled that a black candidate has made it this far. Sure, there are certain demographics who are not mentally prepared for a black pres., but many are..... I am white, and my family is deeply rooted in Western Pennsylvania....go figure

His race is a factor, for most I think. I just hope it isn't THE determining factor in this election.
I think either way you look at it, it will be the reason he wins or the reason he looses.

But not to say we shouldnt have a black president, its just he has no substance. He is an idea, but he does not represent the path to the idea because he has no plans or history of doing things he claims he will do. And yes, I stand by my assessment that most African Americans are only voting for the man because he is African American because besides for his skin color, he has no substance, lacks the plans and experience Hillary had, etc. Hillary was basically a white Barack Obama with more experience. The difference, African Americans didn't back Hillary. Why? If he was white, they would have split that African American vote right down the middle. But since he was not, they didn't.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Obama won those states b/c of the strong black vote. Look at all the data: Hillary won among working-class white males in nearly all Southern states. The irony is that the black vote this election could turn red states blue
I seriously doubt that the deep south will go blue. African Americans have voted for democrats for a long time, so there wont be a big numerical difference between Barack and someone like Kerry in the south.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:42 PM

454 posts, read 748,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
If you look at any political analysis of both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, you will actually see that when it came to issues and policies, there was very little difference. So what where the "reasons" people voted for Hillary? They may not have been racially motivated...but they were probably just as shallow. Take the "experience claim" for example. Sen. Obama actually has more legislative experience than Hillary Clinton does (11 years as opposed to 7). Many American voters (regardless of affiliation) are severely under-informed. I can tell you one thing though; I myself did not vote for Sen. Obama...because I voted back in January. However his nationally televised speech on race (after the initial Rev. Wright incident) truly, impressed me and resounded with me. That was a very powerful thing for many Black voters to see and if they were undecided between Hillary and Barack at that point, the scales probably tilted over to Barack's side after that. That is hardly racism; that is putting an emotional investment into whoever you are voting for.
In the same token, why were black voters voting overwhemingly for Obama if his policies and Hillary policies are the same?

Legislative experience in Chicago?????, if you know anything about Chicago politics, you wouldn't make the statements you are making about Obama legislative experience. All the Democrat politicians in Chicago are just a rubber stamp for the Daley Machine.

Why should everything be about race?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnari View Post
In the same token why were black voters voting overwhemingly voting for Obama if his policies and hillary policies are the same?

Why should everything be about race?
I agree head on with you. Hillary had one thing Obama didn't is experience, and a powerful team behind her to push their similar agenda's forward. But because Obama is African American, he won the nomination, despite his lack of experience and very similar views compared to Hillary. Sounds a lot like affirmative action, where qualifications come second to race.

This society has a lot of improvements to make from a racial standpoint on both sides; white and black. We aren't as happily mixed as the media says we are, or else Clinton and Obama would have split that vote right down the middle between both WHITES AND BLACKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections