Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

RBE Salutes Senator Barack Obama on Historic Triumph

We, members of Republicans for Black Empowerment, recognize the historical context of the times we live in and take pride in Senator Barack Obama conquering this nation's most enduring racial barriers to become the Democratic Party's presumptive nominee for President of the United States of America .

Senator Obama's nomination confirms how far the nation has traveled toward fulfilling its Constitutional premise that all men are created equal and the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s vision of racial equality.

Ironically, however, the greatest beneficial impact of this historic event may not be the implications of Senator Obama's vision for governing America, with which we meaningfully differ. Instead, our joy and excitement are driven by the positive impact his triumph will have on the imaginations, ambitions and personal expectations of African-Americans, in particular our youth, for generations to come.

It is within this context that we acknowledge the significance of Senator Obama vying for the Presidency, highlighting the successful accomplishments of the brave, self-sacrificing leaders who came before him. His message and charisma have also encouraged many Americans to become more aware of issues affecting our country. Dr. King would indeed be very pleased.

Yet, it is also in the spirit of Dr. King, a lifelong Republican, that RBE commends Senator Obama on achieving the Democratic nomination, but reserves endorsement of his Presidential quest. True equality is when people are critiqued, supported, and opposed based on the merit of their ideas rather than solely on the color of their skin.

We oppose several key policy positions Senator Obama offers as solutions for challenges facing this nation. As our country rests on the precipice of a recession, Americans should be particularly sensitive to the next President's economic prescription. There is little doubt Senator Obama's intention to raise income and capital gains taxes would not encourage economic growth, consumer confidence, business formation or job growth. We are also confident that less government intrusion in the lives of American citizens regarding health care reform, greater accountability from public schools, and greater choices for parents who cannot afford to relocate to superior school districts will better serve Americans than Senator Obama's plans on these issues.

Notwithstanding these differences, we commend Senator Obama for articulating i) a cogent urban economic revitalization agenda, ii) a determination to end sentencing disparities, iii) a focus on reducing crime recidivism by giving support to ex-offenders, and iv) a plan to address poverty in this country.

By contrast, that Republican presidential nominee Senator John McCain has not made ANY of these concerns a material focus during his current campaign nor his long Senate career gives rise to concerns among Black GOP activists, some of whom remain unconvinced of the depth of his commitment to issues of direct importance to the African-American community.

Providing further apprehension was Senator McCain's absence at last fall's PBS-sponsored, Tavis Smiley-hosted Republican Presidential debate. In addition, his delayed recognition of his error in not originally supporting the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday and tepid response in 2000 to whether the Confederate flag should be flown atop the state capitol in South Carolina, also give many black Republicans reasons for pause.

In coming months, Black Republicans across the nation will continuing weighing the significant costs of the policy differences that we have with Senator Obama with the benefits of the positive impact on Black America's psyche and the impact on young people who will be inspired by his successes. Irrespective of the outcome in November, we salute Senator Obama on earning the Democratic Party’s nomination for President, and rest assured that current and future generations of African-Americans will be inspired by his magnificent achievement for years to come.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times
You mean some African American's wont stand to become the puppet's of Obama?!?!?!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
I found it more interesting that there were "black republicans", something those on the left who constantly want to claim is a protected "class" for the Democrats

Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I found it more interesting that there were "black republicans", something those on the left who constantly want to claim is a protected "class" for the Democrats
Why? It was Erik Rush, a Black republican, who first exposed the Rev. Wright issue. We have had 2 Black Republican Secretaries of State. Why is it so shocking that the Black American community is diverse (although it is completely true that the community is overwhelmingly Democrat...they also tend to be overwhelmingly middle or low income).

Old 06-17-2008, 12:07 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Klan-supported party for black what???

I'd like for someone to tell me how blacks and the klan can co-exist in the Republican Party. The spider and the fly cannot make a bargain.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times
The Klan was actually the Democratic party in its heyday. And how dare you make such an unfair and unsourced reference. I take offense to that.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 AM

799 posts, read 1,444,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I'd like for someone to tell me how blacks and the klan can co-exist in the Republican Party. The spider and the fly cannot make a bargain.

The Klan came up as democrats against republicans. Democrats in the south always held back blacks and republicans.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

Check your history, the Democratic party in the south was in part, the Ku Kux Klan after the civil war. They killed not only blacks but Republican party leaders who were trying to protect the right to vote for blacks and the right to bear arms. Republicans went across the south to register black voters, but Democrats used blocks like the literacy laws to stop them from voting.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:07 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Check your history, the Democratic party in the south was in part, the Ku Kux Klan after the civil war. They killed not only blacks but Republican party leaders who were trying to protect the right to vote for blacks and the right to bear arms. Republicans went across the south to register black voters, but Democrats used blocks like the literacy laws to stop them from voting.
You are right; but the Democratic party as shifted it's stance since then...heralding a new era with FDR (come on now...you know that!). The Democrats of the south you are referring to are in actuality what we would call by modern terminology "Dixiecrats" and basically can float both ways (often Democrat for local politicians...and Republican nationally).

With that being said, I would say it is unfair to label Republicans as racists or harboring racists. My goodness, they elected the Republican South Asian Bobby Jindal as governor of Louisiana. I will say that the Republican party has dropped the ball when it comes to civil rights...and this "hear no evil, see no evil" approach is starting to catch up with them fast. Other than that, Republicans on a whole are no more or less racist than all other Americans on a whole.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:38 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
You are right; but the Democratic party as shifted it's stance since then...heralding a new era with FDR (come on now...you know that!).
That might be what they say, but that's not reality.

Think about it. About ten percent, if you're an employee, of your income goes to your retirement. (SS/Medicare) Your employer, slaveowner, matches that (which prevents you from getting that in the form of a raise.)

The slaves who aren't productive get a share of your labor, through welfare, to support them until they're able to produce.

The Dems want you to pay about 20% of your income to health insurance so you can continue working the plantation. (Latest number I heard.)

Your income taxes, independent of SS, goes to build bridges and goat research centers which help the plantation owner, but not you.

With all due respect, if you think the Democrats aren't still the slave party, I have some ocean front in Kansas...

Quote:
My goodness, they elected the Republican South Asian Bobby Jindal as governor of Louisiana. I will say that the Republican party has dropped the ball when it comes to civil rights...and this "hear no evil, see no evil" approach is starting to catch up with them fast. Other than that, Republicans on a whole are no more or less racist than all other Americans on a whole.
Powell, Rice, Thomas, etc. Yeah, just crazy, isn't it? People being promoted based on their ability rather than color?

In regard to civil rights, the Republicans have had a bad record on them because it's just the same infringement on liberty that slavery was. (Obviously, not as extreme.) If you want to stop a war, which was what slavery was against the blacks, you have to stop fighting. Civil rights is blacks trying to continue the war rather than living in peace. It's stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections