Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can one be proud of his/her Nation, Subjectively/Objectively?
NO. Take it or leave it. 10 27.03%
YES. One can pick and choose. 27 72.97%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:36 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times

Advertisements

Michelle?

Guess again.

June 14th, 2008
McCain: It can be “tough” to be proud of USA

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate John McCain admitted on Saturday it can be difficult at times to be proud of the United States.

“I’ll admit to you … that it’s tough in some respects,” McCain said when asked by a questioner at a town hall meeting how to be proud of the country.

Do politicians and their wives represent what the rest of the citizens are thinking, considering the current standing of the US in the World? Is it difficult to be proud of your Nation, and at he same time BE Proud of your Nation? Is this the classic case of take the good with the bad? Do we get to pick and choose our pride points?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
I am proud of the history of this country, however I am sickened when I think of what it has become, and the direction it is heading. the idea of america is lost. what so many have fought and died for, is not appreciated. each passing election, we lose more and more freedom. I think I am going to write another letter to my congressman demanding term limits. these lifetime politicians are a huge part of the problem.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:45 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,257 times
Look, the bottom line is whether someone loves or does not love America - I just don't give a ****. They can be proud or not be proud - i just don't give a ****. That redneck style of thinking is just not in my head, and never was.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:49 AM

932 posts, read 1,676,953 times
Am I proud of my country, yes and no.

Yes~ We have done some amazing things for people all across the world. I am proud that I have the ropportunity to become whatever I want to be. I am proud because I have had the opportunity to see a woman and a bi-racial man in the race for the white house. I am proud that I have enjoyed a life of many opportunities in this country.

No~ I am not proud of what this country did to my ancestors, I am not proud that even though I am just a human being, some will still judge me by the color of my skin. I am not proud that we are in a war that is killing innocent civilians in Iraq not to mention the soldiers who are losing their lives and are being injured. I am not proud of this current administation at all.

just MHO...

Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 PM

717 posts, read 773,040 times
The United States is the best nation in the World.
Its not the country that has problems. Its the people we choose (sometimes ignorantly) to put in office.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:06 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
I travel to Europe often and when I tell people where I'm from they say, "We like American people, it's your President that we have a problem with."

I'm always proud of the USA, every country has their problems and old skeletons including ours.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:10 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I travel to Europe often and when I tell people where I'm from they say, "We like American people, it's your President that we have a problem with."
This is the same thing I hear when I travel as well.

I'm proud of my country, yet ashamed of the people running it at the same time sometimes.

I was listening to a doctor speak on the radio last week, regarding examinations of some Guantanamo detainees who had been held, tortured, and later released after it was discovered they had no ties to terrorism.

What we did to those people was awful, severe joint problems from being hung by their limbs for days, evidence of them being sodomized with objects, electrocuted, all for nothing. When I hear that things that like were done under our Government, I am ashamed, as I always wanted to believe we would hold ourselves to higher standards.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
I'm very proud of my country, its history, the ideals set forth by the founding fathers, and the majority of the people. The current government including all branches...with the exception of a few individuals...I am not proud of. They are destroying all that made our country great and selling us out for pieces of silver. Of them I feel ashamed.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:56 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
When I hear that things that like were done under our Government, I am ashamed, as I always wanted to believe we would hold ourselves to higher standards.
War is hell.

Nobody said life after 9/11 would be a cake walk.

Torture happens and it's effective.

Do you think militants are more likely to give up information before they are waterboarded or after?

Fighting a war against an enemy who has no national borders is difficult, mistakes will be made, but it doesn't mean Guantanamo needs to be closed. There is no blueprint, we've never faught a war with an enemy who has no borders. In wartime innocent people will get caught up in the mix, and after all the embarassment and shame and crushed testicles of a few "enemy combatants", they'll be paid what is a King's Ransom in the currency of our sinking American Dollar and have medical care for the rest of their natural lives.

I'm not losing any sleep over Guantanamo, or my government's interrogation tactics. And I won't apologize for that.

Abu Gharaib is another story entirely, that was shameful. Guantanamo is necessary.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:09 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
War is hell.

Nobody said life after 9/11 would be a cake walk.

Torture happens and it's effective.

Do you think militants are more likely to give up information before they are waterboarded or after?

Fighting a war against an enemy who has no national borders is difficult, mistakes will be made, but it doesn't mean Guantanamo needs to be closed. There is no blueprint, we've never faught a war with an enemy who has no borders. In wartime innocent people will get caught up in the mix, and after all the embarassment and shame and crushed testicles of a few "enemy combatants", they'll be paid what is a King's Ransom in the currency of our sinking American Dollar and have medical care for the rest of their natural lives.

I'm not losing any sleep over Guantanamo, or my government's interrogation tactics. And I won't apologize for that.

Abu Gharaib is another story entirely, that was shameful. Guantanamo is necessary.
I disagree. We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard and obey the articles of the Geneva Convention. These people were innocent and tortured for no reason at all, just sad. The US is not offering them any medical care or reimbursement at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections