Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 AM

532 posts, read 859,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I am a 56 year old white male who believed that in my lifetime, I'd be living in a world where the color of one's skin made no difference. Having seen and heard the comments during this campaign, I realize that this will not happen in my lifetime. The comment above is so shockingly wrong that it defies commentary.

How do I feel about Obama? I feel fine, thank you ... and intend to vote for him in November.

Charley
I like him okay--but I won't vote for him--or McCain either. It doesn't matter who wins. I think they are both wrong for our Country. It seems that we are left with no other choice, unless the Independents are larger in number than they probably are, So we are probably in for a rough time. I hope I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 10:50 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Cool Intelligence is quite different than the highly educated. One does not equate the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
You didn't think a black person was smart enough for politics? My God! Unbelievable. What about Colin Powell? Condi Rice? Obama is the total package for sure, but make no mistake about this. There are an enormous number of black people in this country who are just as intelligent, articulate, dignified, and versatile.

Kudos to you for supporting him.
Actually, the label "intelligent" does not even make sense in this conversation. Intelligence knows no color barriers. All races, nationalities, sexes have their fair share of highly intelligent people.

The real situation that foster these stereotypical descriptions centers on quality education not being available to minorities, disenfranchised, the disadvantaged, or the poor who may be highly intelligent, just under-educated through no fault of their own.

If all things were equal among races, religions, sexes, etc. we would offer no prejudicial statements about one groups' intelligence!! This is amazing to me in 2008!! We should have risen above this thinking long ago.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:56 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
What I feel about Obama has nothing to do with his skin color.

I don't like the guy, politically speaking.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:01 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Obama has bad ideas, he is a liar, has questionable associations, very little experience, and flip flops continuously. He could be black, white, red, yellow, or green, doesn't matter, he simply is not fit to be president of the USA.
I don't care what color he is either. His far left liberal insanity is what will keep me away, as well as his lack of national experience in politics.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:43 PM

21 posts, read 54,158 times
Thumbs up How do whites truly feel about Obama?

I was unsure to who vote for in the beginning, but after listening to the three made a choice. McCain, to me sounds like a total wimp and is a bigger flip/flopper than Kerry. Hillary, who gave herself far more credited than she deserved and also couldn't speak a sentance with out saying I.
My husband and I decided on Obama, who compared to the others is not only very articulate and is basically an outsider with fewer large interests to satisfy. I've lived in Seattle, San Francisco and knew many black people, they are not different. People want to put them in a special category as a whole. We now live in an area that is 45% Hispanic and people here look upon them as a problem because of some of the gang activities but on a whole they are good people. I have relatives in a smaller southern town and I visit them and see a lot of what would be referred to as poor white trash.

We turned out for the caucaus and both decided we were for Obama and were both delegates to the convention. OH, by the way, I am not suppose to be backing Obama as I am an older white woman.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:49 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,776 times
I think he's the whitest black person out there and I do believe change is a good thing. However I am not voting for him because he is just too liberal has nothing to do with color, I would rather not have any extremes (did not vote for Bush either) and would take left-leaning, right-leaning, libertarian or a centrist anyday. The bipolarization of the political climate in this country is where it has gone wrong.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:33 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
You didn't think a black person was smart enough for politics? My God! Unbelievable. What about Colin Powell? Condi Rice? Obama is the total package for sure, but make no mistake about this. There are an enormous number of black people in this country who are just as intelligent, articulate, dignified, and versatile.

Kudos to you for supporting him.
Up until a year ago I never listened to politics. So of course I wouldn't know.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:45 AM

[quote=LML;4180678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_collegiate View Post
From my experience, whites, while not racist, are certainly race conscious--and in the case of blacks, easily stereotype them as poor, uneducated, inarticulate, crime prone, etc, until the black person proves themselves to be otherwise.

When faced with educated, affluent, and "articulate" blacks, I think most whites are dumbfounded, shocked, and in awe--as it's easy to buy into stereotypes and classify minorities rather than realize them as individuals.

QUOTE]

WOW. Sterotype much? If you really think that this is how the majority of whites think, in 2008, you are really behind the times. Are there SOME whites who think this way? No doubt. But that is sure not how the majority of whites feel these days.
Many whites are just being politically correct and so hide their racism. There are many parts of the country that are very racist and do not hide their racism. I could not give you any percentage of racists in this country, but I can tell you that I have lived in various places in the south and moved because of racism. I had one woman, a black friend, tell me that she would rather live in the south because people are open and honest, than live in Oregon and CA where you don't know what people think. I now live in the Midwest, and if I say I like Obama I get shunned, most here are for McCain, but the problem is they don't like me voting for a black person because he is black, because they think he is a Muslim, etc. The ignorance here is overwhelming. Hard to find people here that are open minded. At least they are trying to be politically correct, but the problem is, once they know your politics you will be shunned by them.

There could be a degree of racism in believing that blacks are not smart and that most are into drugs, etc. I don't know. But I have had black friends most of my life, and yet I none of them were into politics. I still had the image that was given to me by white people. Much of it has to do with their being in poverty, not having the right kind of food and education. I have a friend that taught in a black school and could not teach the kids anything, and what they had in their lunches was a shame--cola, potato chips, type of food. And white people have been reluctant to give them good jobs, but then I know of people that have hired them because they had to, and it didn't work out. Do to racism in our country they are kept down. It amazes me that some are now in politics and have risen. That is not easy to do.

I could only wish that the majority of the whites are not racists in 2008. My own experience is that it has lessened over the years, but not much. I think some States are less racist than others.

And if anyone thinks that racism is almost gone, they should read most of the posts in this political section on the election. They reek with racism.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:48 AM

[quote=bentlebee;4180802]Exactly....I don't care about the outside....in fact Obama looks better than McCain and can hold a better speech (if you like the preaching way of holding a speech).

I care about what the nominee stands for and IMO Obama stands for lack of judgment, flip flopping and I don't mind that people changes their opinions over the years (that is also called "growing up and learning from misstakes), but Obma changes his statements within days or weeks...in the criminal field a prosecutor would say that person is guilty...when switching so often their story!!!.
The people that Obama associates him self with is what he stands for....hate preaching rev's, PLO member, terrorists, etc.Obama wants to raise capital gains to help the lower and middle class people.... by taking money form their 401K's.....well I didn't go to Harvard to figger that one out...so what did he learn with his expensive education? How to steal from the lower and middle class by scamming them?[/QUOTE]

Can you prove what I put in bold?

Old 06-22-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
WHERE do you come from??? You thought because someone wasn't white they couldn't be smart?????
I'm not trying to flame you or start a fight but I just have a hard time believing that in this day and age there could be someone who thought that way!
Ya, there are "smart ones out there".....and ALWAYS have been.
AND there are REALLY stupid white people ...did you know that?
Interesting statement. I once read where they had difference races take intelligent tests, and the Jews were the most intelligent, the Euorpeans followed that, and then the Mexicans, and last of all the blacks.

An Emerging Theory on Blacks' I.Q. Scores - New York Times This is not the test that I had read but a good explaination of it.

I realize that there have always been intelligent blacks, as I have read their books. But I never knew that they were intelligent enough for politics. Until this year I was not in politics; never listened much to the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections