Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:18 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
IMO, true conservatism just means freedom. Freedom to spend your sound money as you see fit. Freedom to do what you want with other consenting adults without government interference. Freedom to live your life in the pursuit of happiness without the government telling you what to do. The only stipulations are that you endanger no one or their personal property while doing it.
Interesting point, about what you want to do with other consenting adults. If that is the case, then way are conservatives, generally speaking, so against issues, like gay marriage (consenting adults), prostitution (consenting adults) and abortion (an womans private decision)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
Quote:
IMO, true conservatism just means freedom. Freedom to spend your sound money as you see fit. Freedom to do what you want with other consenting adults without government interference. Freedom to live your life in the pursuit of happiness without the government telling you what to do. The only stipulations are that you endanger no one or their personal property while doing it.
yup, that's pretty much the definition of a libertarian.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Liberalism in any form is the death of America and the root of almost any problem. You give me a problem and it's probably related to liberalism.
Bush is not a conservative and I would say the closest president to a conservative was Reagan but he wasnt conservative enough on some issues. Of course I can't blame him for everything he did have a democrat congress.

Here is what traditial conservatives think.
Barry Goldwater
Thomas Jefferson
Ron Paul

Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
don't forget coolidge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Liberalism in any form is the death of America and the root of almost any problem. You give me a problem and it's probably related to liberalism.
Bush is not a conservative and I would say the closest president to a conservative was Reagan but he wasnt conservative enough on some issues. Of course I can't blame him for everything he did have a democrat congress.

Barry Goldwater
Thomas Jefferson
Ron Paul

Old 06-24-2008, 02:17 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Well, the pendulum swings as it does because a conservative social policy tends to punish the poor and a liberal policy tends to punish the rich, both in the name of expanding the middle class. On behalf of liberals, I know it's a hoary old cliche and a bit hostile around the edges but you might want to refresh your mind as to why "liberals" have had to come into being, over and over throughout history, in the first place:

edge effect: Thank a liberal

Old 06-24-2008, 02:19 PM

509 posts, read 691,339 times
Quote:
Anyone that wants to know why the neoconservative movement, just like the liberal movement that spawned them, failed, download and watch the BBC documentary The Power of Nightmares. You won't find conspiracy theories, just interviews of the neocons and their actions starting in the 1950s. These people are not conservatives. They are neoconservatives. That neo prefix makes a huge difference in what they believe.

Politics - The Power of Nightmares, (Part 1/3), “Baby it's Cold Outside“

The Power of Nightmares Part 2: The Phantom Victory - by Adam Curtis

Politics - The Power of Nightmares, (Part 3/3), “The Shadows in the Caveâ€Â

And if you want to know about Conservatism (without the neo), read The Conscience of a Conservative by Barry Goldwater (ghostwriter: L Brent Bozell Jr). You won't find many similarities in the two groups.

The Conscience of a Conservative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
excellent info,
hopefully others will watch these
thanks

Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM

509 posts, read 691,339 times
Quote:

Barry Goldwater
Thomas Jefferson
Ron Paul
did you vote for Bush ?

Old 06-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Barry Goldwater
Thomas Jefferson
Ron Paul
Define problem?
Liberal thoughts have caused Equal Pay for men and women (or closed the gap), ended segergation, unemployment insurance, social security for the elderly......
These are problems?

Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
there hasn't been a conservative in the white house in almost 100 years. also, do you mean that a conservative might be one of the 100,000,000 americans who own stock? that's 33%, not the top 1%.
Exxon or oil company stock. Not stock in general, I think you knew that and just tried to be a wise ass.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Interesting point, about what you want to do with other consenting adults. If that is the case, then way are conservatives, generally speaking, so against issues, like gay marriage (consenting adults), prostitution (consenting adults) and abortion (an womans private decision)?
They were the driving force that got Reagan elected: The Religious right. They co-opted the Republican party with the help and solicitation of the neoconservatives. The issue the neocons have with America is that our freedoms and liberties are what makes it impossible to govern ourselves. They don't think that people can be truly free. They need and want control.

If you want to know more, I sincerely suggest you watch the power of nightmares. It explains things in ways I don't have time for.

Or do some research on Leo Strauss. He is, after all, the founder of the neoconservative movement.

FYI: The radical Islamic threat began at the same time the neocons did w9ith the same goals, more government control over people through religious ideology. The Power of Nightmares is the story of how the two intertwined and got us where we are today. It really will show you the difference between what you think is a conservative and what is a neoconservative. You won't hear about Barry Goldwater or Robert Taft. You'll hear a lot of names like Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Reagan, Bush, Bush Sr, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections