Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times

Advertisements

Donklephant » Blog Archive » SurveyUSA: Obama Leads By 1 In Indiana

This may be why Obama is advertising in Indiana now. Indiana in play... who would have thunk it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 AM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
This election is a foregone conclusion. Even in states where McCain is winning it is by a significant amount less then what Bush received. I.E..Kansas --Bush won by 21% and 25%. McCain leads by 10%. I know it is just a poll but that is a significant gap.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I'd be quite surprised if Indiana were indeed in play. We will see how this plays out, but I highly suspect that they will go red in the fall. If they did not, then the GOP will really have to get together and ask themselves what went wrong, as losing Indiana would be a GOP failure on a massive scale.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 AM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'd be quite surprised if Indiana were indeed in play. We will see how this plays out, but I highly suspect that they will go red in the fall. If they did not, then the GOP will really have to get together and ask themselves what went wrong, as losing Indiana would be a GOP failure on a massive scale.
'If they have to think about what went wrong then the party is truly lost.
What went wrong is Dick Cheney hijacked the party and took the ideologies to extreme levels. To me Dick Cheney is the reason the GOP has lost its way.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 AM

218 posts, read 437,860 times
I don't know if Indiana will go for Obama or McCain (it seems likely that in the end, it will stay in the McCain column).

It doesn't matter. If there is a nationwide shift of two or three per cent to Obama, then the outcome of the election is going to be a landslide, since there were many, many states Bush won in 2004 by small margins. I

It's sort of like this metaphor. If the Ocean rises a few inches, then places like Colorado will not even notice. But there will be entire islands that get wiped out.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
There are lot of states in play now with Obama carrying the Democratic banner. Though Indiana may ultimately still go red it's obvious McCain is going to have to spend both time and money, that might otherwise have gone somewhere else, to make sure Obama doesn't steal it.

To put this in perspective, Indiana has only voted for a Democrat for president 4 times since 1900, the last time was in 1964. This poll cannot be considered a good omen for the McCain campaign.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I've read before that Indiana is noted as having more than a little KKK activity and racism. If that's anywhere near the truth, then it is remarkable that Obama has any lead at all in that state. Maybe there's hope yet for our nation that we can overcome racism.

I tend to agree that the GOP has gone massively wrong. There is NOTHING at all conservative about spending money you don't have (biggest deficit spending in history), borrowing that money from your emerging communist enemy (China), having massive tax cuts during a time of war (economics 101 tells us that you cannot have BOTH guns AND butter, but rather it's a case of having to choose guns OR butter). The list goes on and on.

Most people are not at all comfortable with the way Bush & Rove have packed the Justice Department with attorneys from wacko Jerry Falwell's "Liberty University" and other such sources of brainwashed evangelicals. Given enough rope, the American Taliban of Falwell(d), Robertson, Dobson, et al, have made fools of themselves with their idiotic pronouncements, and that message has not been lost on the majority of citizens (including most people of faith) who are paying attention to these matters.

One of the most important scientists at NASA, the one who spoke up about global warming 20 years ago, refused to be muzzled by the Bush crowd and refused to have his science watered down to match the double talk and lies of the Bush Administration.

The Bush crowd did the same attempt to muzzle top doctors at NIH on various health issues, like birth control, to curry favor with the far right crowd and the American Taliban.

Then there's the moral hypocrisy of Rep Foley chasing boys while mouthing off about family values, Senator Vitter patronizing the DC Madam, Senator Craig doing the restroom tap dance, Rep Cunningham taking bribes from Defense Contractors.

The entire Bush administration has been a fiasco, from Tom Delay's putting the entire House of Representatives up for sale to the highest bidder (via the so-called "K Street Project"), to the phony war in Iraq, to the thievery by Wall Street and others in the mortgage/credit crisis, to the drowning of a thousand people in New Orleans from Katrina.

This list goes on and on and the American voter is overwhelmed by GOP malfeasance, and the Obama showing in Indiana is a clue to just how badly the GOP is going to get its clock cleaned this fall. About a busload of GOP types are retiring this time around, they know the end of this ride is over.

Please, rabid kool aid drinkers need not reply about a few bad actors on the DEM side of the aisle, I acknowledge that guys like Rep Jefferson (with a freezer full of cash) also suck.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-25-2008 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
LOL, Just moved to the great state of Indiana, staunch republican that I am you can chalk up one more vote for Johnny.

No way this state goes for huessian

Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
LOL, Just moved to the great state of Indiana, staunch republican that I am you can chalk up one more vote for Johnny.

No way this state goes for huessian
Well, you certainly are painting the residents of Indiana in a positive light. If you are going to go the whole bigoted xenophobe route with the whole Hussein thing, at least learn how to spell it properly.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Well, you certainly are painting the residents of Indiana in a positive light. If you are going to go the whole bigoted xenophobe route with the whole Hussein thing, at least learn how to spell it properly.
LOL I was thinking the same thing.

I still think it's too early for anyone to be speculating on which states are going over, but I think that most of the states numbers are going to be different from the previous years simply because of the large number of black voters.

Did anyone watch the BET awards last night? It was like one long Obama infomercial with some singing in between. Almost everywhere I go on the west side of town, which is the predominantly black area, there are people passing out voter registration forms or pamphlets.

I'm glad that we're all being so politcally aware but I hope this continues in the future and not only when one of the candidates is black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections