U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2008, 03:06 PM
 
3,568 posts, read 3,280,796 times
Reputation: 1364

Advertisements

The stock market is a barometer of the economy. The economy has suffered two hard blows in the past year: the collapse of the housing market and the runaway oil prices. I don't know whether better regulation of the mortgage industry would have averted the housing market mess. But I do know that if we had drilled for oil when Bush said, in 2002, that we needed to open up ANWR to drilling, as well as off shore, we wouldn't be in the predicament we're in now. Interestingly the very people who chant the mantra that we can't drill our way out of the oil crisis because it would take 5 years to see any oil from ANWR or off shore drilling are the same people who put up road blocks to drilling SIX years ago. Bush is being blamed for the mess we're in but the blame rightly belongs on the radical environmentalists and their puppets in Congress, mainly Democrats but some Republicans as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM
mga
 
Location: near rochester ny
230 posts, read 361,958 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The stock market is a barometer of the economy. The economy has suffered two hard blows in the past year: the collapse of the housing market and the runaway oil prices. I don't know whether better regulation of the mortgage industry would have averted the housing market mess. But I do know that if we had drilled for oil when Bush said, in 2002, that we needed to open up ANWR to drilling, as well as off shore, we wouldn't be in the predicament we're in now. Interestingly the very people who chant the mantra that we can't drill our way out of the oil crisis because it would take 5 years to see any oil from ANWR or off shore drilling are the same people who put up road blocks to drilling SIX years ago. Bush is being blamed for the mess we're in but the blame rightly belongs on the radical environmentalists and their puppets in Congress, mainly Democrats but some Republicans as well.
i agree.

unfortunately, the anti-bush sentiment that has been sweeping the country clouded the vision of many people. the democrats have willingly chose to ignore the warning signs with hopes that an economy falling apart during an election year will boost themselves to power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 AM
 
3,568 posts, read 3,280,796 times
Reputation: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post
i agree.

unfortunately, the anti-bush sentiment that has been sweeping the country clouded the vision of many people. the democrats have willingly chose to ignore the warning signs with hopes that an economy falling apart during an election year will boost themselves to power.
I agree. This is a completely manufactured crisis. But that's politics as usual these days. It's all about power and the people be damned. I don't like it but it is what it is.

What I find galling about the Dems' is their deceitfulness on the energy issue. When Obama called oil "dirty" recently he came close to letting the cat out of the bag. Radical environmentalists, who now include most Democrats, have been pushing to get us off fossil fuels for decades. They have been bemoaning the low cost of oil because that blunted any incentive to get off of oil. Now that the price of crude has shot up they are happier than, well you know what. So the crocodile tears they are shedding for the poor consumer is pure show. They think this is what will finally get them to where they've always wanted to take the country. Obama gave it away when he didn't decry the increase in the price of gas, only that it happened so suddenly.

You know, eliminating oil entirely for the sake of the environment is a legitimate point of view. Let the Dems be honest about what they believe and then try to sell it to the American public. Let's have that debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
12,646 posts, read 13,923,680 times
Reputation: 1679
Interesting. So why don't the oil companies drill the remaining 70-75% of the remaining 60 Million acres currently under lease? What does 1.4 Million acres in ANWR have that 60 Million acres does not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 AM
 
Location: South Fla
1,044 posts, read 1,760,782 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Interesting. So why don't the oil companies drill the remaining 70-75% of the remaining 60 Million acres currently under lease? What does 1.4 Million acres in ANWR have that 60 Million acres does not?
great question... apparently, no answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 AM
 
21,044 posts, read 19,571,652 times
Reputation: 5930
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The stock market is a barometer of the economy. The economy has suffered two hard blows in the past year: the collapse of the housing market and the runaway oil prices. I don't know whether better regulation of the mortgage industry would have averted the housing market mess. But I do know that if we had drilled for oil when Bush said, in 2002, that we needed to open up ANWR to drilling, as well as off shore, we wouldn't be in the predicament we're in now. Interestingly the very people who chant the mantra that we can't drill our way out of the oil crisis because it would take 5 years to see any oil from ANWR or off shore drilling are the same people who put up road blocks to drilling SIX years ago. Bush is being blamed for the mess we're in but the blame rightly belongs on the radical environmentalists and their puppets in Congress, mainly Democrats but some Republicans as well.
Oil companies have leased millions of acres off shore that they CHOSE not to drill in.....why ANWAR when they already have places to drill but don't ??????


Gee, ya think it might help their profits????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 11:15 AM
 
3,568 posts, read 3,280,796 times
Reputation: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Interesting. So why don't the oil companies drill the remaining 70-75% of the remaining 60 Million acres currently under lease? What does 1.4 Million acres in ANWR have that 60 Million acres does not?
Oil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Fort Myers Fl
2,305 posts, read 2,698,420 times
Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
great question... apparently, no answer.
If you understood how drilling is done you would have your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 11:24 AM
 
717 posts, read 607,008 times
Reputation: 122
I agree with everything the OP says except "the stockmarket is a barometer of the economy." That is not always accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 11:47 AM
 
Location: South Fla
1,044 posts, read 1,760,782 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
If you understood how drilling is done you would have your answer.
Enlighten me, please. I guess all the oil that was there is now gone b/c we drilled around the area and tapped out whatever supply was there? But because there has been no drilling near ANWAR, then we haven't even begun to tap into the oil that will surely sustain our oil needs for at least another 20 years, but not beginning for another 5 years or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top