Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:36 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
According to the Rethugnicans, it's not racism unless you're swinging from a tree with a burning cross behind you - and even then, you can only be upset about it for as long as they feel it's okay.
I guess you haven't been paying attention to the DEMOCRAT primaries.

You're beloved dems/libs are the ones who played the race card, including Obama who plays it well.

Is that you Laura?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 06:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post
I love people like you. You say these things out loud, and you actually believe what you're saying (because nobody is that ignorant) and it makes it so much easier to avoid you. I wish everybody with your mindset would speak up.
Please avoid me then in the future, because I choose to debate threads with intelligent people willing to discuss issues with facts.. People with my "mindset".. you mean racist individuals just like me!! Um.. yeah.. whatever..

Old 06-28-2008, 06:11 PM

I'm telling you - my nose says it Laura, who injected race into every freaking thread.

My nose is seldom wrong.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
in EVERY presidential election since 1968, at least! starting with 1968 and nixon's "southern strategy". ronald reagan kicking off his 1980 campaign in philadelphia, miss, infamous place of the slaying of 3 civil rights workers. ditto for 1984. in 1988, lee atwater admittedly played the racial card from the bottom of the deck with willie horton ads. 2004 was the year with all of the anti-gay amendment propositions in battleground states. the republicans are adept at playing the race card b/c they have nothing to brag about except the party's LONG GONE IDEAL of limited government and fiscal restraint
The fact remains that AL GORE Started the Willie Horton ad, not the Republicans, so again, are you accusing the Democrats of being racist? Noo, of course not.. only those Republicans are..

Old 06-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I guess you haven't been paying attention to the DEMOCRAT primaries.

You're beloved dems/libs are the ones who played the race card, including Obama who plays it well.

Is that you Laura?
Yep. it was Gore that started the Willie Horton ad, and yet I hear NO Democrats here calling Democrats racists...

Old 06-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Yep. it was Gore that started the Willie Horton ad, and yet I hear NO Democrats here calling Democrats racists...
Can you say hypocrit? Double standard? Those a characteristics of the dems/libs as well.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:37 PM

262 posts, read 486,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Republicans - never ones to let facts get in the way of their arguments.

Gore brought up the furlough program, not Horton. In fact, he didn't even bring up Horton's crimes. He was talking about two other criminals. Dubya Senior brought up Horton after Dukakis clinched the 1988 Democratic nod, invoking the name constantly and played on people's fears of the scary black rapist. Worked like a charm.

I think I'm going to submit this claim to Snopes.com, right along with Obama the Muslim and Whiteygate.

In reviewing this history, it's important to make some crucial distinctions. Gore never mentioned that Horton was black; indeed, he never mentioned Horton by name. He merely drew attention, correctly, to the damaging fact that Dukakis had tolerated a furlough program for especially violent criminals in his state even after a horrific incident strongly suggested this was a bad policy. It's conceivable, of course, that Gore was warming up for more explicit and racially tinged use of Horton's story later in the primary fight. But that would have been uncharacteristic of him. In any event, Gore dropped out of the race shortly after the debate.

Now recall what the Republicans did with Horton's story: An "independent expenditure" group aired an ad for Bush showing a picture of Horton. A Republican fund-raising letter in Maryland showed pictures of Dukakis and Horton alongside the following text: "Is this your pro-family team for 1988?" Horton told Playboy magazine in 1989 that a woman who identified herself as working for "an organization affiliated with the Bush campaign" phoned him and wrote letters to him up in prison trying to get him to endorse Dukakis. The official Bush campaign, of course, kept its distance from such efforts, and claimed to use Horton only in race-neutral ways. But there is plenty of evidence that it was heartily appreciative of the racial subtext. In his book about the 1988 campaign, Pledging Allegiance, Blumenthal quotes an anonymous member of the Bush campaign team as saying, "Willie Horton has star quality. Willie's going to be politically furloughed to terrorize again. It's a wonderful mix of liberalism and a big black rapist."

Did Gore Hatch Horton? - Timothy Noah - Slate Magazine

_____

But to be fair, it is not true that Gore ''used Willie Horton'' in 1988. In a debate with that year's Democratic presidential hopefuls, Gore noted that the Massachusetts practice of letting first-degree murderers take weekend ''furloughs'' from prison had freed some killers to commit new crimes. He asked whether Governor Michael Dukakis intended to grant similar furloughs to federal prisoners. That was it.

''Al Gore made a legitimate criticism,'' said Dick Gephardt, himself a presidential candidate in 1988, in a statement defending Gore from Bradley's charge. ''He never used Horton's name or image and never resorted to race-baiting.''

Boston.com / Politics / Campaign 2000 / News

____

This column incorrectly stated that Al Gore ran TV spots on Horton in the 1988 Democratic primary against Michael Dukakis.

Willie Horton's legacy (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/12/12/ED194565.DTL - broken link)

____

Media Matters - Ingraham, Hannity revived claim that "Al Gore brought up Willie Horton"
Media Matters - Hannity falsely claimed that "Al Gore brought Willie Horton to the American people"

Last edited by PennyGWoods; 06-28-2008 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-28-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post
Republicans - never ones to let facts get in the way of their arguments.

Gore brought up the furlough program, not Horton. In fact, he didn't even bring up Horton's crimes. He was talking about two other criminals. Dubya Senior brought up Horton after Dukakis clinched the 1988 Democratic nod, invoking the name constantly and played on people's fears of the scary black rapist. Worked like a charm.

I think I'm going to submit this claim to Snopes.com, right along with Obama the Muslim and Whiteygate.

In reviewing this history, it's important to make some crucial distinctions. Gore never mentioned that Horton was black; indeed, he never mentioned Horton by name. He merely drew attention, correctly, to the damaging fact that Dukakis had tolerated a furlough program for especially violent criminals in his state even after a horrific incident strongly suggested this was a bad policy. It's conceivable, of course, that Gore was warming up for more explicit and racially tinged use of Horton's story later in the primary fight. But that would have been uncharacteristic of him. In any event, Gore dropped out of the race shortly after the debate.

Now recall what the Republicans did with Horton's story: An "independent expenditure" group aired an ad for Bush showing a picture of Horton. A Republican fund-raising letter in Maryland showed pictures of Dukakis and Horton alongside the following text: "Is this your pro-family team for 1988?" Horton told Playboy magazine in 1989 that a woman who identified herself as working for "an organization affiliated with the Bush campaign" phoned him and wrote letters to him up in prison trying to get him to endorse Dukakis. The official Bush campaign, of course, kept its distance from such efforts, and claimed to use Horton only in race-neutral ways. But there is plenty of evidence that it was heartily appreciative of the racial subtext. In his book about the 1988 campaign, Pledging Allegiance, Blumenthal quotes an anonymous member of the Bush campaign team as saying, "Willie Horton has star quality. Willie's going to be politically furloughed to terrorize again. It's a wonderful mix of liberalism and a big black rapist."
Did Gore Hatch Horton? - Timothy Noah - Slate Magazine

_____

But to be fair, it is not true that Gore ''used Willie Horton'' in 1988. In a debate with that year's Democratic presidential hopefuls, Gore noted that the Massachusetts practice of letting first-degree murderers take weekend ''furloughs'' from prison had freed some killers to commit new crimes. He asked whether Governor Michael Dukakis intended to grant similar furloughs to federal prisoners. That was it.

''Al Gore made a legitimate criticism,'' said Dick Gephardt, himself a presidential candidate in 1988, in a statement defending Gore from Bradley's charge. ''He never used Horton's name or image and never resorted to race-baiting.''
Boston.com / Politics / Campaign 2000 / News

____

This column incorrectly stated that Al Gore ran TV spots on Horton in the 1988 Democratic primary against Michael Dukakis.
Willie Horton's legacy (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/12/12/ED194565.DTL - broken link)

____

Media Matters - Ingraham, Hannity revived claim that "Al Gore brought up Willie Horton"
Media Matters - Hannity falsely claimed that "Al Gore brought Willie Horton to the American people"
So lets get this straight.. Gore criticized the furlough programs, and Bush criticized the furlough programs, but its only racism because Bush used his name and photo..

um.. so your saying that displaying a photo of a black man is "racism"? If thats true, MSN seems to be guilty of racism because Obama is on that channel every few minutes..

Ohh, thats not racism because its Obama.. And neither is the op's comment. It only becomes racism if your willing to conceed that simply being black is negative, something many here seem to be trying to argue..

p.s. I never claimed that Gore used Horton in an ad, I claimed that he brought it up.. Which he did..

Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM

262 posts, read 486,189 times
No, he didn't. He brought up the furlough program. He never mentioned Horton by name or by crime. Please try harder.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:01 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Only a racist would think """Obama is just John Kerry with a tan."..is not racist.
As an Obama supporter and Self-Proclaimed Honorary Black Man due to my truly amazing rapping abilities, as displayed below

YouTube - Proof that the Fish Monger is a Magical Trophy

I have to say that Grover Norquist's comment, while undeniably moronic, is not quite racist, as one would be hard pressed to hear a KKK member say something like "black people are just white people with tans," as such a statement would imply equality in everything besides skin color. However, as I am a resident of Birmingham, formerly known as Bombingham for its centrality to the white racist terrorist cause of the mid-twentieth century, it could be that I am merely an un-self aware racist who therefore fails to disprove your theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections