Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:36 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Puh-lease. It's not a question of "not caring" -- it's a question of using a terrible war and hurting our veterans just to champion your candidate. That is snake-belly low.

I'm sure you know some Vietnam veterans -- why don't you call them and ask if they personally dropped napalm on women and children and how they feel about it? Or go to the local VFW and make these claims, if you think you're so righteous.
Oh yeah a hurtful post on city-data how unique? How do you think someone of Muslim ancestry feels in here?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:44 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,592,691 times
Cool There are Hero's and then there are HERO's

Always another point of view....

"In the fall of 1967 McCain was flying bombing runs over North Vietnam from the U.S.S. Oriskany, an aircraft carrier in the South China Sea. On October 26, the 31-year-old pilot was part of a 20-plane squadron assigned to destroy infrastructure in the North Vietnamese capital. He flew his A-4 Skyhawk over downtown Hanoi toward his target, a power plant. As he pulled up after releasing his bombs, his fighter jet was hit by a surface-to-air missile. A wing came off. McCain’s plane plunged into Truc Bach Lake.

Mai Van On, a 50-year-old resident of Hanoi, watched the crash and left the safety of his air-raid shelter to rescue him. Other Vietnamese tried to stop him. “Why do you want to go out and rescue our enemy?” they yelled. Ignoring his countrymen, On grabbed a pole and swam to the spot where McCain’s plane had gone down in 16 feet of water. McCain had managed to free himself from the wrecked plane but was stuck underwater, ensnared by his parachute. On used his pole to untangle the ropes and pull the semi-conscious pilot to the surface. McCain was in bad shape, having broken his arm and a leg in several places.

McCain is lucky the locals didn’t finish him off. U.S. bombs had killed hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese civilians, many in Hanoi. Ultimately between one and two million innocents would be shredded, impaled, blown to bits and dissolved by American bombs. Now that one of their tormentors had fallen into their hands, they had a rare chance to get even. “About 40 people were standing there,” On later recalled. “They were about to rush him with their fists and stones. I asked them not to kill him. He was beaten for a while before I could stop them.” He was turned over to local policemen, who transferred him to the military."

Source

Old 06-28-2008, 12:47 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,003,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Yes it is a question of not caring. Whether Vietnam or Iraq many, particularly on the right, could care less and actually attempt to justify the killing of innocent women and children.
I don't see anyone "justifying the killing of innocent women and children." All I see are people like yourself "justifying" the use of hurtful rhetoric against veterans to champion your candidate, and that's disgusting.

Vietnam veterans were beaten, spat upon, and demonized when they returned from the war for doing what they had no choice, no say, in doing. They were even given DRUGS by our government to numb their minds and do what was ordered. Is THAT the specter y'all wish to raise again?

Do you think for one minute that my cousin WANTED to get shipped to Vietnam? Do you think he DESERVED being repeatedly exposed to Agent Orange and returning with brain damage and use of only one side of his body? Would you want to tell his wife, who had to soothe him at night when he had horrific dreams about what went on over there, that her husband was a scumbag baby-killer? She eventually left him because she couldn't take it anymore. He died at a young age of inoperable brain tumors. His 70-year-old mother, my aunt, had to bathe him, feed him, and change his diapers for the last year of his life. Again, were people like this enthusiastic supporters of the Vietnam war? OF COURSE NOT!

Look, there are plenty of policy differences that define the candidates and can be discussed. Launching crap like this makes everyone see how cold, insensitive, and desperate y'all really are.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I don't see anyone "justifying the killing of innocent women and children." All I see are people like yourself "justifying" the use of hurtful rhetoric against veterans to champion your candidate, and that's disgusting.

Vietnam veterans were beaten, spat upon, and demonized when they returned from the war for doing what they had no choice, no say, in doing. They were even given DRUGS by our government to numb their minds and do what was ordered. Is THAT the specter y'all wish to raise again?

Do you think for one minute that my cousin WANTED to get shipped to Vietnam? Do you think he DESERVED being repeatedly exposed to Agent Orange and returning with brain damage and use of only one side of his body? Would you want to tell his wife, who had to soothe him at night when he had horrific dreams about what went on over there, that her husband was a scumbag baby-killer? She eventually left him because she couldn't take it anymore. He died at a young age of inoperable brain tumors. His 70-year-old mother, my aunt, had to bathe him, feed him, and change his diapers for the last year of his life. Again, were people like this enthusiastic supporters of the Vietnam war? OF COURSE NOT!

Look, there are plenty of policy differences that define the candidates and can be discussed. Launching crap like this makes everyone see how cold, insensitive, and desperate y'all really are.

And the hurtful rhetoric towards Michelle and Barack and the millions who personally share characteristics with them? What about the thousands who attended his church in Chicago and are labeled kooks and racists. Stop seeing the world through your eyes and realize their are others who see and feel differently. You give it out and you get it back and thus the world so loves America. No we are not desperate we are Americans who have observed the last two elections and learned.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:56 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,003,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Oh yeah a hurtful post on city-data how unique? How do you think someone of Muslim ancestry feels in here?
Ah, is that your justification? That there are lots of "hurtful posts" here anyway? Lame.

To answer your question, I don't know how they feel because I'm not Muslim. I would hope they would speak out, though, and not take the incendiary crap that people wish to dole out for God knows what reason. When y'all have "diagnosed" various people as mentally ill, I have certainly spoken out from the POV of one who had a husband who truly WAS diagnosed with a mental illness. When y'all have debased women, I have spoken out and protested the pics one of your company posted showing Hillary's face on sex toys. As someone who lost a loved one to war-related illness, I am speaking out again.

Contributing unnecessary, hurtful posts like this has no justification.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:58 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,592,691 times
Quote:
I don't see anyone "justifying the killing of innocent women and children."
Then you see what you wish to see.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:04 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,107,710 times
Quote:
Oh yeah and millions in the world consider us to be their enemy and our willing to offer their lives to kill us regardless of the collateral damage.
It's bad enough when others consider our soldiers the enemy. But when their own countrymen consider them the enemy it is shameful...not for the soldiers but for those who will use their bravery and sacrifice to try to score political points. AND I say that as someone who thinks the Iraq war should never have happened. But to blame it on our soldiers is just below contempt.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Who cares?
The millions of American voters who are being told by the McCain campaign that he is a vet and war hero. Thus we explore the dimensions of that experience both good and bad, proud and shameful, true or false. When cards get put on the table and people trust you more on foreign policy as they do Senator McCain at this stage then we need to examine the dimensions of his ethics in war and combat. Will we become like our enemies and target woman and children with their bombs and weapons or will we respond to a higher order of civility. From the who cares attitude of some to the did he really of others, those who are not certain can ponder what the candidate believes and might be willing to do in the future to other nations.

Some say all is fair in war and politics some say just war and some say neither.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:10 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,107,710 times
Quote:
And the hurtful rhetoric towards Michelle and Barack and the millions who personally share characteristics with them? What about the thousands who attended his church in Chicago and are labeled kooks and racists. Stop seeing the world through your eyes and realize their are others who see and feel differently. You give it out and you get it back and thus the world so loves America. No we are not desperate we are Americans who have observed the last two elections and learned.
And when people have written unfair and hateful things about the Obamas I have over and over written to rebuke that kind of foolishness and pointed out their errors. But because I have my own values and ideals I will do the same for ANY candidate who is unfairly smeared. Wrong does not become right just because someone else did it too. A wise person told me one time that you have to be smaller than a hypocrite to hide behind one.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
It's bad enough when others consider our soldiers the enemy. But when their own countrymen consider them the enemy it is shameful...not for the soldiers but for those who will use their bravery and sacrifice to try to score political points. AND I say that as someone who thinks the Iraq war should never have happened. But to blame it on our soldiers is just below contempt.
Who is blaming our soldiers? The simple question is did he and would he again as commander in chief use weapons of a controversial nature. What are the boundaries of what he would ask others to do in the course of their duty as soldiers in our army? Were we not the ones using cluster bombs much to the chagrin of nations friendly to us. Do not let others manipulate and change the question asked so it becomes something it isn't. Will McCain as Commander in Chief ask our soldiers to win with all means necessary and are you willing to accept our foes doing the same. Remember the 9/11 Terrorist compared their use of airplanes to our us of cruise missles. That may be warped thinking but it was part of their mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.