U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 12:30 PM

329 posts, read 508,856 times

Advertisements

Commentary » Blog Archive » Krugman Is Stumped, Too
Quote:
But maybe that’s no accident. Obama has told us there is no there, there. In his book he wrote: “I serve as a blank screen on which people of vastly different political stripes project their own views.” So perhaps searching for Obama’s “core” is a fool’s errand. He is glib and clever and seized upon a clever formulation (Agent of Change) to attract young and idealistic people longing for meaning. But perhaps that is all there is.

We don’t know how he will act under pressure and in real circumstances demanding definitive action because he has never developed, stuck with and acted upon a fixed set of principles. So voters will have to figure out for themselves which polar opposite vision of Obama is the real one. The fact that both could be in contention is startling and sobering.
I think this short commentary hits on the point of contention I have with Obama, especially the second paragraph. He is fluid, clever, and charismatic. But does he have a core set of ideals he holds to? I have no idea and it appears Paul Krugman doesn't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 01:18 PM

509 posts, read 613,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post

I think this short commentary hits on the point of contention I have with Obama, especially the second paragraph. He is fluid, clever, and charismatic. But does he have a core set of ideals he holds to? I have no idea and it appears Paul Krugman doesn't either.
I think you can ask that same question of both candidates. You probably asked that about George Bush?
My point is you will never know the answer until he is in office and governing. For me you have to look at the life the person is living, where they came from, what they have done, how they accomplished what they have done.

On this to me both have passing grades,

Obama is a bottom up candidate.
Single mother, mix race, no money. A graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, worked as a community organizer and practiced as a civil rights attorney before serving in the Illinois Senate
1988 the end of his first year was selected as an editor of the law review based on his grades and a writing
In his second year he was elected president of the law review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the law review's staff of 80 editors.
Obama's election in February 1990 as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review
He graduated with a J.D. magna cumlaude from Harvard in 1991.
Barack Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

McCain is a top down candidate.
Both McCain's grandfather and father were admirals in the United States Navy. Wife is wealthy. He went thru hell as a POW, He is an American hero. Went to the Naval Academy at Annapolis. class rank (894/899)
John McCain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by LJS8510; 06-30-2008 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,498,060 times
Quote:
But does he have a core set of ideals he holds to?
I would say no, considering his most recent decisions based on political expediency and sticking his thumb in the wind.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM

34,990 posts, read 33,878,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post

I dont think Paul Krugman actually looked up Obama's record of bills sponsored and votes cast. If he had he'd see a very clear point of view as well as the courage to vote against the herd when a constitutional issue is at stake. That's very disappointing.

It's really disturbing actually that someone like Paul Krugman who gets paid to put his considered opinions out there would see only the superficial and evidently not do a jot of homework. This isnt hard, to look up a voting record and read statements. Obama's "core set of ideals" is very clear.

I've posted links and quotes concerning his stand defending the constitution - and his quote explaining why he voted as he did - 3 or 4 times, when people would come on exclaiming about how Barack Obama (a constitutional scholar) voted to kill live babies on the birth table. You can search on C-D for "Induced Birth Infant Liability Act" and look for posts with my name.

More, but Ive got to go to lunch, for some reaso Ive been on here since early this morning. You can look up his consistent and lonely stand against the war, long before that was trendy in Washington.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,498,060 times
Quote:
Obama's "core set of ideals" is very clear.
Indulge me. An example - the recent DC handgun ban.

Obama said he thought the ban was constitutional. Of course when asked about his position before the ruling came down, he would not elaborate.

He says he is a frim believer in the 2nd amendment.

WHICH IS IT?

The DC law was a BAN, not just rules and restrictions, a full-out ban.

That flies in the face of the 2nd Amendment.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:03 PM

329 posts, read 508,856 times
I think the O's stands have more to do with political expediacy than anything else. I mean, unless you want to count where he went to school, the man doesn't have many accomplishments to his name. More than most people, to be sure, but enough to be President? I dunno. Especially since reaching the Senate, doens't he have more missed and roll call votes than anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or