Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times

Advertisements

Of all the criticisms leveled against Kathleen Sebelius as a running mate for Obama, the one that bothers me the most is that Obama can't pick a woman other than Hillary Clinton, that to do so would be an insult to her and women in general. I can see why they would feel insulted, but I still don't understand why picking another woman is so unacceptable.

So many women supported Hillary in part because they wanted to break that highest of glass ceilings. By their own admission, Hillary's gender was a factor. And yet, they're saying Obama can't factor gender into his decision? If you say that someone should be disqualified simply because of their gender, what does that make you? Yes, it'll be viewed as an insult to Hillary and her supporters. Yes, it may even be seen as a token pick, one based entirely on gender and nothing else, much like Mondale's selection of Geraldine Ferraro was in 1984. Are these Hillary supporters saying that Sebelius is unqualified? If a first-term Senator is qualified to be President, then surely a two-term governor is qualified to be Vice President. Maybe it's because I'm male, but I really don't understand why women would condemn such a pick. If anything, it should give them hope. Let me explain.

If Obama beats McCain and serves two terms, his VP will become the frontrunner for the 2016 Democratic nomination. If these women want Hillary to run again in 2016, she'll be at a severe disadvantage. Running against the VP of her own party and being even further removed from the nostalgia of the 90s, not to mention being older and possibly seen as a relic of the past, her odds of winning the nomination are a lot worse than they were this year. So after 8 years of waiting, we'd miss out on having a woman President yet again. But if Obama's running mate is a woman, then she would be the presumptive frontrunner in 2016. And maybe Hillary will choose to run against her. But isn't that a good thing for women, to have more than one woman to choose from? Maybe the women here can explain to me why Obama picking a male is better for women than picking a woman other than Hillary. I know their first choice is Hillary. But I think it's safe to say, Obama won't be picking her. So that means either settling for another male or a woman other than Hillary, and in doing so, increasing the odds of someday seeing a woman President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:33 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
I don't think Obama will pick any woman because he's already perceived as weak, as are the gentle sex, by the same folks.

Maybe Margaret Thatcher.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
I think it would definitely insult all those female Hillary supporters if he picked a woman other than Hill&Bill.

If you're going for a woman VP, who better than the only woman to garner so much support from the party - 18 million votes.

Any other female, in my opinion, would be disastrous for Obama.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I think it would definitely insult all those female Hillary supporters if he picked a woman other than Hill&Bill.

If you're going for a woman VP, who better than the only woman to garner so much support from the party - 18 million votes.

I agree - no one has heard of Kathleen Sibelius and it's too late to introduce her now.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:38 PM

262 posts, read 486,034 times
I hadn't heard of half of Obama's selections until recently. Unless it's Clinton, Gore or Edwards, most of us won't be familiar.

And yes, the Hillary fans will be furious, because they'll be forced to see a real female candidate, a woman who would be running on her own experience and not riding her husband's coattails. How will they cry about sexism in this campaign and how the mean boys are treating the women all mean with Sebelius on the ticket? Quite frankly, anything that makes the Hillary fans shriek and cry is a plus in my book, so I'm all for an Obama/Sebelius ticket. Besides, this whole "Hillary voters won't vote for Obama" has been debunked 20 times over.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

you guys would love to go after Hill and Bill and were loaded with ammo for her getting the nomination. At this point with Bill being so over the edge she is on a long list of 20 million

Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Try to follow along; The point; If Obama picked a female VP, it better be Hill&Bill. Can you imagine all those Hill&Bill supporters, 18 mil of them, approx 9 million women, who were excited and inspired by her, having to swallow Obama picking a female OTHER than Hill&Bill. Major insult, major slap in the face.

Seeing that I am not one of those, that would be my preferred scenario. To keep ripping the party to shreds.

I don't think he is dumb enough to make that mistake. One can hope though.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
I am a Hillary fan, but am trying to keep an open mind about the candidates although it is highly ulikely I would vote for a Republican. I will say, however, that if Obama would pick another woman over Hillary for VP, he would not get my vote. Sorry, that's just how I feel.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM

262 posts, read 486,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Sorry, that's just how I feel.
So this ISN'T about the advancement of women and breaking the glass ceiling, which also explains why all these 'yay WOMEN!' feminists have given zero support to Cynthia McKinney. I give you a lot of respect for just saying so, minus the BS excuses that even the person giving them doesn't believe.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times
It would only work in McCain's favor to pick a woman, not in Obamas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections