Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:48 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Maybe he is just trying to soften the blow to the Obamatrons and give them reasons for denial when he does no do what he claimed he would while in the primary. These Obamatrons are either too stupid to realize that they were duped or so stubborn that they will dring anything even the Kool-Aid.
I disagree. The sheer magnitude of the Iraq war can't be immediately destabilized by an abrupt pull-out of troops. Every Democrat knows that. The American people do not want this war any longer, so who ever can remove our nation as soon as possible gets the vote. Very simple.

What kind of president would Obama be if he can not assess all factors. That is why a fresh approach to NATO will be well received. Whats amazing about Obama is that people world-wide seem to be following our primaries/election & the outcry is to vote for Obama [so that America can redeem itself & rejoin our allies/admirers to solve world problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 02:58 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I disagree. The sheer magnitude of the Iraq war can't be immediately destabilized by an abrupt pull-out of troops. Every Democrat knows that. The American people do not want this war any longer, so who ever can remove our nation as soon as possible gets the vote. Very simple.

What kind of president would Obama be if he can not assess all factors. That is why a fresh approach to NATO will be well received. Whats amazing about Obama is that people world-wide seem to be following our primaries/election & the outcry is to vote for Obama [so that America can redeem itself & rejoin our allies/admirers to solve world problems.
The point is that he has changed his view on Iraq and Obamatrons believed he would pull out our troops immediately. I do agree that he would be better served to listen to the experts, the people that know war and how it is conducted but that is not what is followers thought. BTW wouldn't McCain do the same? If not please explain and pleaseeee do throw the 100 year story. You seem too intelligent to fall for that.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:13 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
The point is that he has changed his view on Iraq and Obamatrons believed he would pull out our troops immediately. I do agree that he would be better served to listen to the experts, the people that know war and how it is conducted but that is not what is followers thought. BTW wouldn't McCain do the same? If not please explain and pleaseeee do throw the 100 year story. You seem too intelligent to fall for that.

I don't know what "Obamatrons" you are talking about, but most of the people I bump into that support Obama certainly never expected that. Of course you need to assess and discuss with the generals, as well as use diplomacy and negotiation with foreign leaders in the area, which Obama will be able to do much more eloquently and ably than Old Yeller.

I am increasingly heartened by the news Obama is assessing things realistically and cautiously, not losing sight of the end goal to get our troops out of the policeman business.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Yes McCain will pull troops out & he will end the war in his first 4 yrs - McCain will also reach out to Europe & try his hardest to erase bad feelings world-wide. And it could very well take Obama the same amount of time to end the war [as we know it now] via Middle East pressure on both Iraq & Iran by all-Muslim congress/United Nations mediation.

I really don't have many "major" issues w/ McCain but do not want another Republican calling the shots for 4 more years [ie appointing Supreme Cr judges].

Obama might ask McCain to serve as a cabinet member re: defense issues

Old 07-04-2008, 03:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:

I call it adaptability and is what I want in our president. I think over the last 7 1/2 years we have felt the impact of a lack of willingness to change as evidenced by our stay the course strategy in Iraq until the surge. Rumsfeld represented a lack of adaptability and Gates the needed willingness to adjust to current conditions. I don't want four more years of rigid ideology that says the market will solve the problem even as it crashes.
If your financial advisor calls you next week and says you need to adjust your current financial plans to reflect the market today, do you accuse him of flip flopping because he told you something else in January? Does the Quarterback accuse the offensive coordinator of flip flopping when he changes the game plan at half time?

The nature of intelligence and the surviabilty of the species is dependent on adapation and not a rigid adherence to what I said before doctrine.

In closing we have had 7 1/2 years of a presidential administration that followed ideology and not the wishes of the American people. Don't you think that now is the time for a president who adjusts and modifys his position to reflect the population and what it is feeling and thinking? A president who puts his ideology aside to strategize with a diverse team of advisors to meet the needs of the citizenry and not some sort of base? You may not but I believe millions like me do.

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 07-04-2008, 03:33 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
you may also recall I have previously called the 100 year story absurd. I posted we have been in Germany, South Korea over half a century. Panama for ever. Cuba for ever etc. Having forces in Iraq would not be unusual at all. If we didn't it might reflect something really bad having happened.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:13 PM
mga mga started this thread

230 posts, read 397,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I call it adaptability and is what I want in our president. I think over the last 7 1/2 years we have felt the impact of a lack of willingness to change as evidenced by our stay the course strategy in Iraq until the surge. Rumsfeld represented a lack of adaptability and Gates the needed willingness to adjust to current conditions. I don't want four more years of rigid ideology that says the market will solve the problem even as it crashes.
If your financial advisor calls you next week and says you need to adjust your current financial plans to reflect the market today, do you accuse him of flip flopping because he told you something else in January? Does the Quarterback accuse the offensive coordinator of flip flopping when he changes the game plan at half time?

The nature of intelligence and the surviabilty of the species is dependent on adapation and not a rigid adherence to what I said before doctrine.

In closing we have had 7 1/2 years of a presidential administration that followed ideology and not the wishes of the American people. Don't you think that now is the time for a president who adjusts and modifys his position to reflect the population and what it is feeling and thinking? A president who puts his ideology aside to strategize with a diverse team of advisors to meet the needs of the citizenry and not some sort of base? You may not but I believe millions like me do.

[+] Rate this post positively
so...lemme get this straight.........we were in a 7 1/2 year war that the people don't want, but, if obama gets elected and we remain at war, then the people will be OK with war.....right?

is that how that works?

and, then you want a president who is going to flip flop on every issue because some of the americans want something one way and not the other? and, how will this major consensus be taken? on a daily basis? is obama going to have a daily show and ask americans to call in and suggest how he does things everyday?

as for me, i don't want a president to run a country on general consensus. i want a man to stand and make a decision and stick with it. obama is like a woman: he changes his views depending on his moods, and the last thing america needs is a major wimp in office who can't decide where he stands on any issue.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post
so...lemme get this straight.........we were in a 7 1/2 year war that the people don't want, but, if obama gets elected and we remain at war, then the people will be OK with war.....right?

is that how that works?

and, then you want a president who is going to flip flop on every issue because some of the americans want something one way and not the other? and, how will this major consensus be taken? on a daily basis? is obama going to have a daily show and ask americans to call in and suggest how he does things everyday?

as for me, i don't want a president to run a country on general consensus. i want a man to stand and make a decision and stick with it. obama is like a woman: he changes his views depending on his moods, and the last thing america needs is a major wimp in office who can't decide where he stands on any issue.
Dude, we have been trying to explain it to you. Yes the War was an awful idea by Bush. Most of America and the World all realizes this by now.

At the same time, anyone who is a realist understands you can't just pack up and leave in a week- see Vietnam Exit.

So Obama is going to consult the military leadership for their suggestions and will work towards a realistic goal of getting our troops out of there without having the whole thing blow up as they leave. Good for him. If it can happen in 16 months that is beautiful, if it takes a little longer that is understandable.

Right now the last thing America needs is another Rock like Bush that can only parrot "Stay the Course" as his definition of a Global Strategic Military Strategy over the course of 8 years.

{McCain has flip flopped all over himself recently, so looks like you are going to have a "woman" in the White House no matter what. }

Old 07-04-2008, 11:06 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yes, Obama was against the war from the start. That is his strength in the Democratic party & I believe Obama will, in-fact, pull some troops. But the American people will be faced with the fact that our nation will need to pay for any more involvement in Iraq. In other words, taxes will be raised in order to maintain American presence in the Middle East.
A tax hike at any time in the next 8 years will throw the US into instant recession just like the Democrat tax hike in 1978 caused a massive 6 year recession and unemployment at 11% (note that in 1997 the method of calculating unemployment changed to a telephone survey of 60,000 households conducted on the 12th of each month).

That would make Obama a one-term president, probably failing to even get renominated.

It is not in the best interest of Iraq to sell its oil in US$. It does so now only because the US is forcing it to do so. Once US troops withdraw, the US will have no leverage to continue to violate Iraqi sovereignty and force the sale of oil in US$.

The sale of Iraqi oil in Euros, or basket currencies will cause the US$ to depreciate another 4 to 8 points, depending on oil production levels in Iraq and drive the price of oil higher, with the end result being that Obama is a one term president.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:02 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I don't know what "Obamatrons" you are talking about, but most of the people I bump into that support Obama certainly never expected that. Of course you need to assess and discuss with the generals, as well as use diplomacy and negotiation with foreign leaders in the area, which Obama will be able to do much more eloquently and ably than Old Yeller.

I am increasingly heartened by the news Obama is assessing things realistically and cautiously, not losing sight of the end goal to get our troops out of the policeman business.
While I agree that would be a reasonable approach, his own website states:

Bringing Our Troops Home

"Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months."

Seems pretty specific and clear, without room for reconsideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections