Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:12 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,574,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
Obama is half White, yet in America he is called 'Black' - if they are picking a color, then why not 'White', or 'Mixed', or 'Africaucasian'?

I got a better suggestion. How about:

who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 09:16 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,315,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post
obama is called black because he chooses to call himself black. it behooves him to do so. he would have never made it this far if he didn't exploit the black half of himself and called himself white....would he?

obama is an opportunist.
Yes. Because this country sure is a place where it's tough to be white.

Quote:
no blacks in america are "africans"...that's total b/s and used only by those with an identity crisis.
Not only is this totally false (I have several friends who were born and raised in Africa), but off-base. Many people refer to themselves by their ethnic heritage. Never seen a "Kiss me, I'm Irish" t-shirt? A lot of the people who get so hot about the issue of other people using ethnic tags (whether African or Italian or Polish) are those who don't have such a tag available for their own use.

Furthermore, if my Dad had been born and raised in Lithuania, I'd feel comfortable feeling a little Lithuanian. There are black people in the US whose families have been here for hundreds of years. Let's be frank: Their connection to Africa is tenuous. But the son of a Kenyan?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:37 AM
mga

230 posts, read 396,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yes. Because this country sure is a place where it's tough to be white.

Not only is this totally false (I have several friends who were born and raised in Africa), but off-base. Many people refer to themselves by their ethnic heritage. Never seen a "Kiss me, I'm Irish" t-shirt? A lot of the people who get so hot about the issue of other people using ethnic tags (whether African or Italian or Polish) are those who don't have such a tag available for their own use.

Furthermore, if my Dad had been born and raised in Lithuania, I'd feel comfortable feeling a little Lithuanian. There are black people in the US whose families have been here for hundreds of years. Let's be frank: Their connection to Africa is tenuous. But the son of a Kenyan?
he's also the son of a white woman.

again, obama is just taking advantage of his other half.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:06 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,315,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post
he's also the son of a white woman.

again, obama is just taking advantage of his other half.
If I were born with dark skin and the name "Barack Obama", I don't know how "white" I'd turn out.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:09 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,884,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
Obama is half White, yet in America he is called 'Black' - if they are picking a color, then why not 'White', or 'Mixed', or 'Africaucasian'?

Because people need to pigeon hole what they are not familiar with. That then gives them a handle they use.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:37 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinabredchicagoan View Post
if i were born with dark skin and the name "barack obama", i don't know how "white" i'd turn out.
what difference does that make? His mother is white!

Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,979,112 times
He's Black. End of story. Like someone said, there was a time when all you needed was a DROP of Black blood in your body to be considered Black, even if you were blonde-haired and blue-eyed. To many in America, the one drop rule still holds true.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,937,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
He's Black. End of story. Like someone said, there was a time when all you needed was a DROP of Black blood in your body to be considered Black, even if you were blonde-haired and blue-eyed. To many in America, the one drop rule still holds true.
Yep. Even if Obama chose to call himself white, much of society would refuse to see him that way.

Difficult situation. If he said he is white, people would not accept him as such, based on his name and appearance.. So he says he's "a person of color" and people say he is using his race to his own advantage.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:58 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,599,575 times
Is there really anyone in this country that is truely one race??? I doubt it. We need to just do away with all this seperation. I mean why do they ask you your race anyway? What does it matter? We should just say we are AMERICAN with whatever DESCENT, which really isnt necessary. This african-american, mexican-american, (insert race)american labeling nonsense is just that, NONSENSE! I mean seriously, if a Mexican and a Chinese mix what do we call them? MEXINESE?? Sounds dumb huh??? So does all this labeling! We need to get rid of all this labeling!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:14 AM
mga

230 posts, read 396,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
he's not black.

he's a mulatto.

why doesn't he call himself as such?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections