U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:09 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,781,982 times

Advertisements

The Republicans are not winning this yr. They will loose the House/Senate and we will have a democrate president.

The Republicans wanted the war and now will not take care of those brave men and women in uniform. Bush praise them everyday in public but if he praise them shut up and support them. These people need to come home to more. They need healthcare why are the Republicans taking that away from them. The Republicans keep on talking about cutting fundings while they increase fundings in Iraq to fight a war. Now if these men and women can not get healthcare then how can the Republicans expect then to fight.

We need to get all the Republicans out of office.

Democrats hit GOP on support for Medicare cuts - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,722,341 times
The current batch of Republicans believe that protecting America is more important than entitlements. It's not that they're evil, they just have really mixed up priorities.

The war is about protecting the country from terrorists. And they do support the troops, just while they're fighting. Meanwhile, they leave the borders unprotected and fully accessible by almost anyone that's willing to walk a bit. So now we have to destroy the 4th amendment in order to know what people inside the country are saying as well. They aren't protecting us by removing the cause. They're hoping to hear something that will stop an event like 9/11 before it can happen again. They're cowering in fear yet they paint the Democrats as anti-war, afraid of a fight, kind of party.

So when it comes to domestic programs that they've promised many times to get rid of or allow people to opt out of, they have to hold up some of their promises, right? So they do it here. They either don't care or don't know that they've chosen to do this when people are needing the assistance they've been encouraged to become dependent on the most. With rising energy and food prices, times are tough for those that have come to expect a check each month, mostly due to a war they started in Iraq and Afghanistan to protect us. It's a vicious cycle.

Without admitting they have made some terrible mistakes, the Republican candidates will continue to lose votes.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:24 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,829,969 times
While you are certainly correct that the Democrats will pick up some seats in the House and Senate, and perhaps the White House, I wouldn't be surprised if their supporters find that many of their assumptions about program and priority changes don't come to pass.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
While you are certainly correct that the Democrats will pick up some seats in the House and Senate, and perhaps the White House, I wouldn't be surprised if their supporters find that many of their assumptions about program and priority changes don't come to pass.
You're absolutely right. They both have the same desire for power.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:55 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,319,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
You're absolutely right. They both have the same desire for power.
Well we shall see, my friend. On the contrary, w/ a veto-proof senate Obama & the Democratic party will have a free-hand to make some rather significant changes starting with the war.

It will simply come down to this: who want's to continue paying for the endless/pointless war? That will be a bi-partisan end to the war btw

Taxes will be used for different purposes w/ strong focus on universal health care, medical research, education, rebuilding infra-structure [highways/bridges/levees], alternative fuels/energy development. In other words, an entirely different agenda from big-spending Republicans who will lose big-time in the deployment of the senseless war & funneling tax money to corporations.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 PM

5,396 posts, read 7,075,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
could be right there. I remember Newt's "Republican Revolution" putrified pretty quick once they tasted the power. One can only hope the Dems learn that lesson and do not take this opportunity for granted.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:43 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,373,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Well we shall see, my friend. On the contrary, w/ a veto-proof senate Obama & the Democratic party will have a free-hand to make some rather significant changes starting with the war.

It will simply come down to this: who want's to continue paying for the endless/pointless war? That will be a bi-partisan end to the war btw

Taxes will be used for different purposes w/ strong focus on universal health care, medical research, education, rebuilding infra-structure [highways/bridges/levees], alternative fuels/energy development. In other words, an entirely different agenda from big-spending Republicans who will lose big-time in the deployment of the senseless war & funneling tax money to corporations.
I'm guessing you're not this naive.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
I'm guessing you're not this naive.
I tried to respond and decided I'd rather bang my head against a brick wall.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,638,564 times
The Senate democrats are not likely to have a filibuster proof majority...which means things might not get done so easily if Obama is President....and that's a good, good thing.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:34 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,572,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
The Republicans are not winning this yr. They will loose the House/Senate and we will have a democrate president.

The Republicans wanted the war and now will not take care of those brave men and women in uniform. Bush praise them everyday in public but if he praise them shut up and support them. These people need to come home to more. They need healthcare why are the Republicans taking that away from them. The Republicans keep on talking about cutting fundings while they increase fundings in Iraq to fight a war. Now if these men and women can not get healthcare then how can the Republicans expect then to fight.

We need to get all the Republicans out of office.

Democrats hit GOP on support for Medicare cuts - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Your right.. we need to get the Republicans out of office THAT JUST SUPPORTED MEDICARE INCREASES.... Sorry, I'm confused, didnt the Republicans give medicare increases called a pescription program that costs billions?

See, more proof that Republicans will always be seen as the villians when wanting to cut costs on programs that we cant afford.

That being said,

Durbin, D-Ill., used a Saturday national radio address to call on Republicans to back the bill to stave off a 10.6 percent cut in Medicare payments to doctors.

The fact is, if there needs to be a bill to stave off a cut in medicare payments, who wrote the original bill which created the original program to cut the cut in payments? Why I'm willing to bet that became law, signed by Congress, or they wouldnt need to stave off the cuts to begin with.

Thats it, write a bill to make cuts, then write another bill to stop the cuts, and then make a political stance on the stopping of the cuts, everyone will forget that you passed the bill to begin with that created the cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or