Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Have you done your research on Barr though? I was interested in him... until I read his history. To me, now, it seems that he changed his entire stance on everything so he could cram himself into a Libertarian mold and run for President under that party.
He is a politician, and politicians change positions now and then. I find it much more refreshing to have a politician who isn't afraid to talk about his "epiphany" than have Obama and McCain who wiggle and waffle uncomfortably within the stifling confines of the big government, two-party dictatorship, all the while taking pains to emphasize how "consistent" they both are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
any/all candidates might as well drop the "changing your mind = bad" attitude. They've all done it, and they all will continue to do it.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
He is a politician, and politicians change positions now and then. I find it much more refreshing to have a politician who isn't afraid to talk about his "epiphany" than have Obama and McCain who wiggle and waffle uncomfortably within the stifling confines of the big government, two-party dictatorship, all the while taking pains to emphasize how "consistent" they both are.
Changing positions is fine, but I am talking about being a major proponent of the "War on Drugs" and then totally switching to being for medical marijuana... Heading up and introducing bills against gay marriage, then claiming to be for it, I mean major, major changes in a very short period of time. I am always interested in a 3rd party candidate, but this time around after doing my research, he's not going to work for me.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,829 times
I thought it was a good interview. Barr is telling it like it is and some people don't or won't accept what he says, which is too bad.

Bar none. It's Bob Barr for president 08

Old 07-08-2008, 01:24 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,555 times
did someone say "change" positions? http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...ost-obama.html

Old 07-08-2008, 01:29 PM

I'm talking about completely 100% 180 degree changes

*Spearheading a "War on Drugs" one year, supporting medical marijuana the next
*Introducing a bill to ban gay marriage, apologizing for it a year later and saying you support it
*Proposing a ban on Wicca in the army, then saying the government should stay out of religion 2 years later

I'm talking super way out there changes in opinion that I can't get behind. I mean, the amendment banning medical marijuana is called the "Barr Amendment" for gods sake.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
He looked confused when asked how he can go from conservative republican to completely different postions now as a libertarian. He is basically a fringe candidate like paul and Nader are.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
He looked confused when asked how he can go from conservative republican to completely different postions now as a libertarian. He is basically a fringe candidate like paul and Nader are.
My concern is we are not talking about a gradual change in opinion and stance. This literally happened within just a few years, I'm suspecting that he wanted to run, didn't think he'd get a GOP nomination, and smushed himself into the Libertarian mold.

I heard him on the radio dodging the same question regarding his sudden changes in opinion, and he really didn't give an answer.

Check out his voting record:
http://www.votesmart.org/voting_cate...p?can_id=22028

Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
"Fringe" is seen as a bad word, however I'm sure people who said the world was round and that the earth didnt revolve around the sun years and years ago were considered "fringe" too.

There is a good history of the general masses being dead wrong.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:37 PM

I don't view him as a fringe candidate, I just don't trust his sudden change in viewpoints to fit into the Libertarian mold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections