U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,340,471 times

Advertisements

I think McCain is a "throw away" candidate. Sometimes both parties use "throw away" candidates when they know that they will lose an election. These are usually unexciting party regulars that have been around a long time and it is just "their turn" to run. The party, knowing they are going to lose anyway, lets them have "their turn" but they do not really put up much effort or much money to back the throw away candidate because they know they will lose.
Some throw away candidates come to mind. For the Democrats, the best example was Walter Mondale. They all knew a Democrat would not unseat Reagan that year. That is why they let Mondale have "his turn". If the Democrats had thought for a second that they had a chance in hell of beating Reagan, they would have ran a young exciting candidate they could win with.
For the Republicans the best example was Bob Dole. They knew that they were not going to beat Bill Clinton and Dole had been around forever and ran as VP at one time with Gerry Ford- and lost.
I think McCain is seen as a "throw away" too. I think that really deep down the Republicans know damn well that they are going to get the the king of a$$ whuppins this year and they just decided to let Johnny Mac have "his turn" rather than to fight it out with a "Reagan type" of candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,823,436 times
It is possible that some considered this, but the primary votes were not done with this in mind.

It is possible that he will lose as part of an overall gain for Democrats across the board, and he will be "out of the way" as assumed in the OP. It might be a low water mark as Republicans regroup after the election.

However, based upon the importance of Supreme Court appointments and the potential for significant changes if controlling both Congress and the Senate, I doubt the Republicans are throwing away this election.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:35 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,481,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I think McCain is a "throw away" candidate. Sometimes both parties use "throw away" candidates when they know that they will lose an election. These are usually unexciting party regulars that have been around a long time and it is just "their turn" to run. The party, knowing they are going to lose anyway, lets them have "their turn" but they do not really put up much effort or much money to back the throw away candidate because they know they will lose.
Some throw away candidates come to mind. For the Democrats, the best example was Walter Mondale. They all knew a Democrat would not unseat Reagan that year. That is why they let Mondale have "his turn". If the Democrats had thought for a second that they had a chance in hell of beating Reagan, they would have ran a young exciting candidate they could win with.
For the Republicans the best example was Bob Dole. They knew that they were not going to beat Bill Clinton and Dole had been around forever and ran as VP at one time with Gerry Ford- and lost.
I think McCain is seen as a "throw away" too. I think that really deep down the Republicans know damn well that they are going to get the the king of a$$ whuppins this year and they just decided to let Johnny Mac have "his turn" rather than to fight it out with a "Reagan type" of candidate.
Once you see how poorly the real voters vote AGAINST Obama, after the debates, you will see a real throw"n" away candidate...Mr.Obama.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM

12,256 posts, read 16,218,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Once you see how poorly the real voters vote AGAINST Obama, after the debates, you will see a real throw"n" away candidate...Mr.Obama.
Who would be "real voters"? Also, I kinda thought the point was to vote FOR the person you favor, not AGAINST the one you don't Has that changed since 2004?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM

29,815 posts, read 34,900,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
It is possible that some considered this, but the primary votes were not done with this in mind.

It is possible that he will lose as part of an overall gain for Democrats across the board, and he will be "out of the way" as assumed in the OP. It might be a low water mark as Republicans regroup after the election.

However, based upon the importance of Supreme Court appointments and the potential for significant changes if controlling both Congress and the Senate, I doubt the Republicans are throwing away this election.
I am not sure how many potentially strong candidates want the scrutiny anymore. We are seeing a decline of people wanting to work in the public eye because nothing is private anymore. How many spouses would want to put up with what Cindy and Michelle have had to.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 AM

19,872 posts, read 22,803,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am not sure how many potentially strong candidates want the scrutiny anymore. We are seeing a decline of people wanting to work in the public eye because nothing is private anymore. How many spouses would want to put up with what Cindy and Michelle have had to.
Yup, I agree with that to be sure.
You'd have to be a bit nuts to want to run for President nowadays.
It's just too brutal.

Ken

Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 AM

19,872 posts, read 22,803,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Sorry, I just can't see McCain picking up any yardage in debates. While Obama's speaking skills in the debate format are not up to par with his oratory skills as a speechmaker, from what I've seen he's still far ahead of McCain.

It's possible McCain COULD surprise me of course, but I doubt it will happen.

Ken

Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,585,709 times
I always felt Kerry was in the same situation and was amazed how close he got to Bush. I think McCain is a throwaway and that is why the others all jumped out early, except for Huckabee who was having fun.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 AM

29,815 posts, read 34,900,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I always felt Kerry was in the same situation and was amazed how close he got to Bush. I think McCain is a throwaway and that is why the others all jumped out early, except for Huckabee who was having fun.
So you think McCain was the last Republican standing.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:46 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,585,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So you think McCain was the last Republican standing.
I tihnk the rest used the primaries to test the water for 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or