Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does it bother you when religious figures get involved in politcs? (see details below)
It doesn't bother me 4 12.90%
It bothers me somewhat 3 9.68%
It really bothers me 22 70.97%
No opinion/Not sure 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times

Advertisements

Does it bother you when religious figures get involved in politcs?

Personally, I think it is the most sinful thing one can do. People congregate in churches to hear the words of god. They come there for spiritual reasons. And when a pastor uses the church as his own political forum, I am sure that deeply upsets god as well as many who have to sit and listen to people who use the church as a place to spread their message. I am personally offended when a pastor tries to get all political at his church, its just not the place for it. Religious leaders did not create churches for one person to spread a load of crap upon the viewers, they created church so that a pastor could spread the word of god.

So what do you think about people like Reverend Al Sharpton, Reverend Jesse Jackson, and Reverend Jeremiah Wright; people who have used their church forum not for god, but to inflict their political views upon others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I think its really a bad idea.

Churches are always singing about seperation of church and state when its the state trying to get in their business but when the churches want to dictate how the US lives, making the entire country adhere to their religious ideas (examples are blue laws, blocking of lottery and paramutal betting, dry counties where alcohol can't be purchased).

Its insane. They need to go home and write a sermon and stay out of it.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

Churches are always singing about seperation of church and state when its the state trying to get in their business but when the churches want to dictate how the US lives, making the entire country adhere to their religious ideas (examples are blue laws, blocking of lottery and paramutal betting, dry counties where alcohol can't be purchased).

It is quite sad. Especially on the issue of illegal immigration when churches blatantly ignore our laws to house illegal aliens.

Personally, Al, Jesse, and Jeremiah should never be in front of a group of people at a church again. I am sure god does not appreciate them taking advantage of the church environment to spew their extremist and political crap to the audience. He probably frowns upon them.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:59 PM

583 posts, read 1,251,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post

Personally, I think it is the most sinful thing one can do. People congregate in churches to hear the words of god. They come there for spiritual reasons. And when a pastor uses the church as his own political forum, I am sure that deeply upsets god as well as many who have to sit and listen to people who use the church as a place to spread their message. I am personally offended when a pastor tries to get all political at his church, its just not the place for it. Religious leaders did not create churches for one person to spread a load of crap upon the viewers, they created church so that a pastor could spread the word of god.

So what do you think about people like Reverend Al Sharpton, Reverend Jesse Jackson, and Reverend Jeremiah Wright; people who have used their church forum not for god, but to inflict their political views upon others?
Separation of church and State is the principle upon which this constitution was founded. Yes, it will bother me greatly if the laws and public policies of our county would be dictated by the religious figures and I don't care what religion it is.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:

Good points. I could not help but notice your examples are all of the African American and Liberal persuasion.

I assume you have the same feelings towards the White Conservative Evangelical leaders that insert themselves into the
Political Forum.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

Well said, I want to rep you but I can't.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:04 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Good points. I could not help but notice your examples are all of the African American and Liberal persuasion.

I assume you have the same feelings towards the White Conservative Evangelical leaders that insert themselves into the
Political Forum.
I agree, think of Farwell, Graham, and many others who instructed their followers to vote the way they wanted them to.

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
Separation of church and State is the principle upon which this constitution was founded. Yes, it will bother me greatly if the laws and public policies of our county would be dictated by the religious figures and I don't care what religion it is.
They already are, you just must not live in a part of the country that has this problem.

When I lived in Texas I lived in a county that was dry, didn't serve liquor because of the Baptists, for years we had blue laws so you couldn't go shopping on Sunday and they routinely voted against paramutual betting even to the deterement of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post

Political Forum.
It just so happens that all the ones that have been "loud" this year are black, probably because there is a black candidate running.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
It just so happens that all the ones that have been "loud" this year are black, probably because there is a black candidate running.
Have you forgotten McCain's pastors Revs Hagee and Parsley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections