Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Obama Right: Don’t Worry About Immigrants Speaking English, Your Kids Need To Learn Spanish
Barack Hussein Obama has lost it. It shows how he wants Americans to change in their own country. What's next... 19 19.59%
Obama is wrong: Immigrants should learn English 25 25.77%
Obama is part right: American kids should learn Spanish. 8 8.25%
Barack is part right: Immigrants should learn English and American kids should learn Spanish. 29 29.90%
Obama is totally wrong: Immigrants should learn English and American kids should learn what ever Language they want. 34 35.05%
Each American must learn every language spoken in the United States. 3 3.09%
Other, please post 5 5.15%
Not Sure 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Nobody's saying that she didn't say it. That's not what your previous argument was about. You said that you didn't understand how she could say that she hasn't been proud of her country, when she received a good education and has had a high-paying job. You mentioned that she said she hasn't been happy. She didn't say that. She said she hasn't been proud of her country. I was letting you know that pride in your country doesn't have anything to do with personal happiness and pride in your life and your achievements.

One can get a good education, have a high-paying job and a good career, a good marriage, personal happiness, and pride in oneself, and STILL not have pride in one's country. They aren't mutually exclusive.

You have no argument. You're just wrong. Give it up.

yes your right I said happy...

I can discuss all I want being this is a discussion forum if you like your viewpoint that much MS word might be a better place for your post.

"They aren't mutually exclusive."

I agree see the *rolled eyes*

I still can't see how anyone could be married to someone running for president and claim only up till now that she was proud of her country. Reading through her history and her earlier life in school and her speeches her motives are very clear. One just needs to look at the whole life to see the path that was taken....one of the good things about history.
20 years in a very racist environment that at any time they could have taken themselves out of. Yet still they only removed themselves from that liability when it became a problem for achieving the POTUS position. Look over the papers she wrote in school and her thesis.

Still wish for a one sided debate or do you wish to only hear your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 05:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
A whole month was dedicated to African Americans and their achievements...No other months have been dedicated to other races...Unless I missed something. Do we have national Hispanic month? national white peoples month? India's month?

They both made the big paycheck for many many years before she made the comment about finally being proud.

I did see their contributions rose as their income did.

I don't see her even remotely achieving what she has here anywhere else in the world....America has been good to her....she has the same mentality as the fellow posting about "what has America done for me lately"

People totally ignore the obvious when they are enjoying the benefits of it.

Also: If your going to be president of a Country you better make darn sure you were proud of them the entire time it got you there. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. Another what have you done for me lately thinking.
And what did you learn during that month?Why is a month needed if they would teach it in school.Fact is all those people i named in my earlier post and i bet you know nothing about it.Because you "as a so called REAL AMERICAN who is at the gate guarding the rights to define PATRIOTISM in your narrow minded view is supposed to be like.Just goes to show you that you are not interested in listening because you already made your mind up.You accuse me for a mentality of what has America done for me lately?If you had read what i said earlier,you would not have missed it.I said:t's all i have and whatever less i may have compared to my counterparts,its still better than what he has in my opinion.Obviously its not education because you did not hear any of that in my post.Thank you for being to narrow minded to realize that you actually made my point about being for ideals and no substance. Hippocracy is what's killing this country.

By the way yes they do have a Hispanic month.An India month?what?Im American.You saying that is exactly what i mean.You may not write exactly how you feel here but you have said enough to understand your clear meaning.This is my country,my forefathers came here when yours came.People from India celebrate India.White people's month is everytime you open a U.S. history book and the only thing you see is Slavery,Martin Luther King jr,and Malcom .Also,I hope you do know Hispanics are not a race?I love to learn because i expect that I don't want to sound ignorant when I meet someone of a different culture,race,religion or nationality because im too busy being American to think that its ever important to do so.

Before you attempt to lecture me on civics.
I was 5 years old in the 70's when my Army retired WWII Purple heart hero Grandfather was killed by being burned alive by a racist group of jealous AMERICAN men.I came home to my Grand parents house burned to a crisp,my plastic toys melted and charred.My mother and i were staying with my grandparents because my father a Green Beret Army vet was in Vietnam serving his country while his father was being burned in a small Georgia town where he grew up.My parents taught me the reality of being black in America but they also taught me honor,self worth,dignity and above all righteousness.One thing I do know is that America,has not always been righteousness but more self righteous(which is how you sir come across).It may not be your reality but its mine.I refuse to take crumbs of a pie and be happy when others get whole pieces.Let me know when you get the crumbs and THEN you can tell me how to feel!!
I love my country,but because of OBAMA I am Proud of it.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
And what did you learn during that month?Why is a month needed if they would teach it in school.Fact is all those people i named in my earlier post and i bet you know nothing about it.Because you "as a so called REAL AMERICAN who is at the gate guarding the rights to define PATRIOTISM in your narrow minded view is supposed to be like.Just goes to show you that you are not interested in listening because you already made your mind up.You accuse me for a mentality of what has America done for me lately?If you had read what i said earlier,you would not have missed it.I said:t's all i have and whatever less i may have compared to my counterparts,its still better than what he has in my opinion.Obviously its not education because you did not hear any of that in my post.Thank you for being to narrow minded to realize that you actually made my point about being for ideals and no substance. Hippocracy is what's killing this country.
Whenever you grow up and stop assuming things about me I'll be glad to discuss with you.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Whenever you grow up and stop assuming things about me I'll be glad to discuss with you.
did you not assume things about me when you said i have a "what have america done for me lately attitude"?You alluded to me saying i was ungrateful,and that as a black wants somehow special treatment because the "the Masta gave us po blacks a whole month fo our short history?I responded in kind.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,422 times
Quote:
...I can discuss all I want being this is a discussion forum if you like your viewpoint that much MS word might be a better place for your post...

...Still wish for a one sided debate or do you wish to only hear your opinion?
Riiight. Haha.

I have a question for you:

Still wish to make idiotic, nonsensical arguments, or would you prefer to join those of us who engage in intelligent discussion, using factual information and coherent thoughts?

No need to respond. I know your likely answer. Judging from your previous post, it's probably something along the lines of, "This is a free country, and I can write whatever I please." Of course you can. No one is debating your freedom to add commentary to this forum. I was debating the validity of what you were saying, NOT your right to say it. Your "I can discuss all I want" response is on par with the typical generic response given when one has nothing to say, and knows that he has been proven wrong, ignorant of a certain topic, etc.

It's virtually pointless to debate someone like you, whose statements are inaccurate and circuitous, and are based on personal opinions having nothing to do with the facts that are presented to you.

Your "argument" that Michelle Obama had to have been proud of her country prior to now, because she's had a good education and a good career, is completely baseless, and quite ridiculous. No matter how you attempt to qualify it, you are wrong. Personal happiness (or personal pride or achievement) and a lack of pride in one's country are not mutually exclusive. You can have one without the other, and you can have both at the same time.

Moving on...

Old 07-17-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
did you not assume things about me when you said i have a "what have america done for me lately attitude"?You alluded to me saying i was ungrateful,and that as a black wants somehow special treatment because the "the Masta gave us po blacks a whole month fo our short history?I responded in kind.

No you responded like I was wearing a tall white cap. We can't discuss anything if our minds are closed.

We were talking about Michelle Obama. I stated that is the what have you done for me lately attitude from another thread here read it.
"equal rights", coming from the us, seems like hipocrisy to me

It's very possible I didn't relay what I meant very well...I do not know you and if it sounded or was worded like I did my bad I'll retract whatever it was that was offensive and we can start over.

I don't think black people want special treatment....Heres what I think....

I will never be able to discuss anything that has anything to do with someone of color because I'm white. The reason being I have to watch every single word that comes out of my mouth or that I type so as not to step on toes....those that oppose whatever is being discussed will very quickly play the race card....even if it has nothing to do with race.

This is the main reason why racism will never be abolished or even toned down. I can promise you I'm not racist and I'll leave it at that. I don't really care to be called one or even hinted that I am. If that's the direction then the debate/discussion is over.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Riiight. Haha.

I have a question for you:

Still wish to make idiotic, nonsensical arguments, or would you prefer to join those of us who engage in intelligent discussion, using factual information and coherent thoughts?

No need to respond. I know your likely answer. Judging from your previous post, it's probably something along the lines of, "This is a free country, and I can write whatever I please." Of course you can. No one is debating your freedom to add commentary to this forum. I was debating the validity of what you were saying, NOT your right to say it. Your "I can discuss all I want" response is on par with the typical generic response given when one has nothing to say, and knows that he has been proven wrong, ignorant of a certain topic, etc.

It's virtually pointless to debate someone like you, whose statements are inaccurate and circuitous, and are based on personal opinions having nothing to do with the facts that are presented to you.

Your "argument" that Michelle Obama had to have been proud of her country because she's had a good education and a good career is completely baseless, and quite ridiculous. No matter how you attempt to qualify it, you are wrong. Personal happiness (or personal pride or achievement) and a lack of pride in one's country are not mutually exclusive. You can have one without the other, and you can have both at the same time.

Moving on...

Prime example.....how can anyone have an intelligent discussion with someone like this?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 PM

I never once called anyone a racist on here.If anything i believe people are misinformed.Why would you have brought up that i have a "whole month of black history".As if i should be happy.
The reason why things will not change is because like you,know one wants to be a bad guy".Yet when you say these things you open yourself up for scrutiny because no matter what i say ,you ignore my experience as being minority in america.as being nothing more than something i made up.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I never once called anyone a racist on here.If anything i believe people are misinformed.Why would you have brought up that i have a "whole month of black history".As if i should be happy.
The reason why things will not change is because like you,know one wants to be a bad guy".Yet when you say these things you open yourself up for scrutiny because no matter what i say ,you ignore my experience as being minority in america.as being nothing more than something i made up.
Let me show you different view...

I support/push/enforce fair housing laws daily.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,324,912 times
Chinese and Arab are useful languages for American children to study, especially if they want to enter business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections