Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Obama Right: Don’t Worry About Immigrants Speaking English, Your Kids Need To Learn Spanish
Barack Hussein Obama has lost it. It shows how he wants Americans to change in their own country. What's next... 19 19.59%
Obama is wrong: Immigrants should learn English 25 25.77%
Obama is part right: American kids should learn Spanish. 8 8.25%
Barack is part right: Immigrants should learn English and American kids should learn Spanish. 29 29.90%
Obama is totally wrong: Immigrants should learn English and American kids should learn what ever Language they want. 34 35.05%
Each American must learn every language spoken in the United States. 3 3.09%
Other, please post 5 5.15%
Not Sure 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
But we simply dont do "serious" business with Mexico. We do 95% of all our mega business with Europe and Asia. You cant tell me that a third world country like Mexico is part of the "international business coalition" like Japan, the US, Canada, and Europe are. Its much more valuable to learn French, German, Chinese, etc. if your doing it to communicate with "international businesses."

Spanish is to communicate with the immigrants who come here. Even Portugal, the European spanish country, speaks totally different Spanish than what most Americans in high school learn.
Ha! Portugal is the "European Spanish country?" In Portugal they speak Portuguese, not Spanish. How about Portugal's next-door neighbor...Spain? I think a few people there speak Spanish.

What exactly makes you think that the U.S. doesn't do "serious" business with Mexico? We import and export a lot of goods to and from Mexico (and other Spanish-speaking countries), including crude oil, electronics, and automobiles. This is not to mention the fact that Mexico is not the only country that speaks Spanish as its native language. Clearly, you're having trouble with this concept, considering the fact that you didn't realize that residents of Spain speak Spanish, either.

Whether or not we do a lot of "business" with Spanish-speaking countries is beside the point. Spanish is, in fact, a world language, not to mention that roughly 15% of U.S. residents (legal or otherwise) speak it as a native language. It would certainly behoove students to learn Spanish. If not Spanish...SOME language would be better than a generation of arrogant English-only Americans who are ill-equipped to compete in a global market because we'd rather everyone else learn OUR language.

Last edited by Politico; 07-10-2008 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:24 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Ha! Portugal is the "European Spanish country?" In Portugal, they speak Portuguese, not Spanish. How about Portugal's next-door neighbor...Spain? I think a few people there speak Spanish.

Maybe we don't do "serious" business with Mexico, but we do import and export a lot of goods to and from Mexico
All great points - except we do do "serious" business in Mexico. more than any European country.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Once againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....

NO W H E R E does Obama say he will FORCE anyone to learn another language.....N O W H E R E

However, it would certainly be nice if SOME here learned ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Ha! Portugal is the "European Spanish country?" In Portugal, they speak Portuguese, not Spanish. How about Portugal's next-door neighbor...Spain? I think a few people there speak Spanish.

Maybe we don't do "serious" business with Mexico, but we do import and export a lot of goods to and from Mexico (and other Spanish-speaking countries), not to mention the fact that Mexico is not the only country that speaks Spanish as its native language. Clearly, you're having trouble with this concept, considering the fact that you didn't realize that residents of Spain speak Spanish, either.

Regardless of whether or not we do a lot of "business" with Spanish-speaking countries is beside the point. Spanish is, in fact, a world language, not to mention that roughly 15% of U.S. residents (legal or otherwise) speak it as a native language. It would certainly behoove students to learn Spanish. If not Spanish...SOME language would be better than a generation of arrogant English-only Americans who are ill-equipped to compete in a global market because we'd rather everyone else learn OUR language.
Stop saying spanish would make us all equipped for a global market because that is crap. I encourage learning languages, just not spanish.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Stop saying spanish would make us all equipped for a global market because that is crap. I encourage learning languages, just not spanish.
How do you feel about Portuguese, since per your analysis that is "a completely different type of spanish?"

Old 07-10-2008, 01:34 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
All great points - except we do do "serious" business in Mexico. more than any European country.
I was trying to be sarcastic, and it didn't read correctly. I edited it.

Quote:
How do you feel about Portuguese, since per your analysis that is "a completely different type of spanish?"
Ha! ocexpo is truly clueless.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:34 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
I agree with ocexpo you really shouldn't be tuld you half to learn a language wear you don't know what countri speeks it.

**now get back to your Portuguese Spanish class billy4**

Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

However, it would certainly be nice if SOME here learned ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Haven't you been paying attention? Silly things like grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, etc are not important.

This is a politics forum not a college admissions essay.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:37 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Haven't you been paying attention? Silly things like grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, etc are not important.
This is a politics forum not a college admissions essay.
I'm elitist...

Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I'm elitist...
Me too - although being black and a welfare recipient, I probably shouldn't be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections