Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,961,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Like I said, its been between 10 and 11 pesos for at least a decade now.

You want to stay up at night worrying about .5 pesos, or about a nickel, you be my guest.
Never said I was up late worrying about it, and it started off as sarcasm more than anything...but its still a noticeable trend so far this year that shouldnt just be ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,695,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post

Over my dead body. And it will be because fortunately by the end of this century I'll be long gone.

Seriously, think about this. Why? Here we are a country who for over 2 centuries have chosen English as our language. Immigrants enter the country from all over the world and learn English with, of course, some exceptions. For the most part, though, they assimilate and speak English.

So here's Barack's idea as I understand it ..... Instead of educating those coming here to learn our language, how about the millions of citizens who are already here learn their language and let English just quietly disappear?

Is it just me??????
I know, I am glad I will be gone too, because the America we are passing down will sadly not be the one I am looking forward to. This country has a very grim future ahead of it, and I am glad I wont be here to see it.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,786,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I know, I am glad I will be gone too, because the America we are passing down will sadly not be the one I am looking forward to. This country has a very grim future ahead of it, and I am glad I wont be here to see it.
I am happy that my children will see a more progressive and diverse and multiracial and multilingual nation.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM

21 posts, read 28,019 times
Quote:
Actually no I was not referring to you.

Read through the various threads, you should be able to discern pretty easily whom I was referring to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Bily4 wasn't calling you racist. He was referring to a poster who was part of an earlier thread on this same Obama/Spanish topic, who rejected the idea of American children learning Spanish simply because he hates Mexican immigrants in his home state of California. Read the thread, and you'll understand what Bily4 was referring to, regarding his "racist" remark.
As someone new to this forum I willingly run the risk of offending some of you.

I have taken your suggestions and have read some of the posts. I find that many here are nothing but schoolyard bullies. When someone disagrees with your view you take to insults and childish taunts and tactics. Those that utilize those methods should be ashamed of themselves. This behavior is not isolated to any one person nor is it isolated to any one political ideal.

The anonymity that this type of venue affords us is a gift to extol our ideas and beliefs without fear of repercussions. Who will get castigated in the future when the ones that are being berated now stop coming here?

Animals are known to kill and/or eat the young, sometimes out of survival and sometimes for dominance.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldtaz View Post
As someone new to this forum I willingly run the risk of offending some of you.

I have taken your suggestions and have read some of the posts. I find that many here are nothing but schoolyard bullies. When someone disagrees with your view you take to insults and childish taunts and tactics. Those that utilize those methods should be ashamed of themselves. This behavior is not isolated to any one person nor is it isolated to any one political ideal.

The anonymity that this type of venue affords us is a gift to extol our ideas and beliefs without fear of repercussions. Who will get castigated in the future when the ones that are being berated now stop coming here?

Animals are known to kill and/or eat the young, sometimes out of survival and sometimes for dominance.

Well good for you. Welcome aboard.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,530,131 times
Quote:
I am happy that my children will see a more progressive and diverse and multiracial and multilingual nation.

go check out the speech about how to destroy America. Seems like you need a kick in the head.

It's on the boards here somewhere.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,350,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I'm am a fully grown taxpaying American citizen. Obama is not running my household. Again, whatever languages are spoken by myself and my child is my right and privilege as an American. Spanish is not the language of choice in my household and it never will be. He can thank his press 2 for English OBL corporate sponsors for my attitude in that regard.
I think people are taking his idea out of context. Yes, it's great to learn every language under the sun but the truth is that Spanish is being spoken in America just as much as English now. When I was in high school, we had a choice of taking Spanish, French or sign language but my younger cousins have to take Spanish. French or sign languages are electives, but Spanish is a core subject like math or English.

I don't agree with that 100% but I won't pretend that I don't notice that almost every decent paying job listings are requesting or requiring Spanish speakers. So as American business embraces Spanish speakers and the demand for them increases, we'll only hurt ourselves by refusing to learn it.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
go check out the speech about how to destroy America. Seems like you need a kick in the head.

It's on the boards here somewhere.
No thanks I'll pass. But thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,816,075 times
I think knowing an extra language is nice (I know three languages) but it is not necessary in real life (unless you live in Miami then Spanish is almost a "requirement")... I think it "is" elitist to suggest that everyone should know more than one language... I don't think someone who knows one language is worse than someone who knows three languages or lack "multiculturalism" because they only know one language... I do see people who know more than one language tend to "show off" like an elitist who think they are so much better (in their own minds)... I don't think Obama had that in mind when he was saying that, I think he meant to enrich yourself... albeit it does come off as an elitist remark which I don't think he intended... don't get me wrong, Obama is still very much a communist which I don't like...

Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 PM

420 posts, read 1,039,961 times
Hi , newbe here on this site, so many may not read this , because I could not find a way to have everybody on this site read this. But please history plays into spoken language , and ones self, this modern world seems to forget it's past ! That England ,
Spain , & France have a long hi-STORY in saying what is right , Most of the people,
who are fighting to retain Spanish as their language, live in areas of the USA, that
wher e first TAKING over by Spain and lost their native lanuage, That said ,When iI was in junior high , my choices for other lanuage ,were Spanish, French & German, shows how everything changes , Leaving high school, was Japanish, We still need to
find a way in the USA for most of our citizens speak more than one lauguage , and not feel threaten,, But on a lighter note my Grandmother , who came to USA after
WW1 , , who by the way spoke three lauguages , Hungarian, German , and
some some Itailian, was so happy when I spoke to her and said Gutten Tag das Groosmutter, well the wording and spelling may not be right nor complete, however the pride in her , that I would try and communicate to her, made me understand it was OK , after all PEOPLE look up the beginning of lauguage,as we understand it,English=German ,short list,French, Spanish, & Italian ,short list and Then I did not even get into the factthat the people of Romainia -speak the closest living lauguage of LATIN , this will not help the original debate , but eyes should open to every
chance of being able to learn new things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections