Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:25 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Awwww, some people are upset because someone doesn't agree with Obama's vision for the way "America should be?!"

How DARE they!! Call out the gestapo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
In the 1980s, the message from the US ruling class, as I perceived as a young man, was that the US economy was going to go global in the next decades, those who prepare for it, also through education, will keep pace, maybe prosper, those who don't will fall behind.

Over the course of the next fifteen years, I learned five languages and now I have a successful home-based international business.

I only wish I had the skill to interpret the periodic messages that the US ruling class sends on how they will manipulate the financial markets, I would be a lot more prosperous.

For some time now, the US ruling class is sending the message that, yes, social security and medicaid will still be in place "officially" in some way going forward, but the real economic value of the system is being reduced significantly through monetary debasing, among other things.

Prepare for it.

And don't miss the message by getting hung up in the red herring of partisan politics: the monster has two heads, but the body is one.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:36 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
People telling you it makes sense to learn another language to improve opportunities for you and your family is not being "condescending", it is being pragmatic and helpful. Some people still don't get the global village the world has become.

It is not too easy to spot the ugly stripes of racism under many of these postings about resisting learning another language.
Assuming you're right and it would be beneficial for Americans to speak another language, why Spanish? Wouldn't it make more sense to learn Chinese since it is predicted that China will soon be the largest economy in the world? Let me answer my own question. Obama stressed learning Spanish because that tickles the ears of Latinos whose votes he needs. If you see anything more than that in Obama's little lecture you're more naive than is safe and you ought not be voting.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:43 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Assuming you're right and it would be beneficial for Americans to speak another language, why Spanish? Wouldn't it make more sense to learn Chinese since it is predicted that China will soon be the largest economy in the world? Let me answer my own question. Obama stressed learning Spanish because that tickles the ears of Latinos whose votes he needs. If you see anything more than that in Obama's little lecture you're more naive than is safe and you ought not be voting.
Why Spanish? Try to get a job in almost any field today in sales or purchasing. Spanish is huge. What about hospitals and health care as an example, one of the fastest growing business sectors in our nation. Desperate for Spanish speakers. Because Spanish is widely relevant for both domestic and international business. I agree Mandarin Chinese would also be beneficial for global business as well.

Obama already has the Hispanic votes in the bag. No "tickling of ears" required. McCain can troll Mexico to try to win a couple votes over, does not matter. In the Mexican news they were all calling him out as a phony trolling for votes. Bush and all the "Macaca" talk turned most Hispanics off from the Republcan Party, for this election cycle anyway.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:10 AM

956 posts, read 1,234,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Exactly! (wanted to give you rep but evidently I must have done that recently and it wouldn't let me so I quoted you instead).

Here's what is wrong with forcing Americans to learn Spanish for any other reason then they would like to speak a second or third language.

It makes it easier for those coming here from Spanish speaking countries not to learn English! And if they don't learn English, they will not get ahead in this country. There is no question about that. So to allow them not to be educated in the accepted language of our country is to keep them in a place where they are more easily manipulated into believing that they are the downtrodden who need to be taken care of by the government.

Believe me, if people came into this country and couldn't communicate unless they learned our language, they would learn our language. And in doing so, they would have so many opportunites; they are limitless.

You don't give up the culture of your homeland by learning English when you choose to immigrate here. There is nothing to be lost by speaking English, And there is everything to be gained by doing so.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I'm am a fully grown taxpaying American citizen. Obama is not running my household. Again, whatever languages are spoken by myself and my child is my right and privilege as an American. Spanish is not the language of choice in my household and it never will be. He can thank his press 2 for English OBL corporate sponsors for my attitude in that regard.
You had better hope he doesn't become President. I heard he's going to force everyone in America to learn Spanish! Then he'll probably have everyone convert to Islam, too!

Oh, and I know how hard it is to press a number on a phone - you can really strain your hand muscles!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Why Spanish? Try to get a job in almost any field today in sales or purchasing. Spanish is huge. What about hospitals and health care as an example, one of the fastest growing business sectors in our nation. Desperate for Spanish speakers. Because Spanish is widely relevant for both domestic and international business. I agree Mandarin Chinese would also be beneficial for global business as well.

Obama already has the Hispanic votes in the bag. No "tickling of ears" required. McCain can troll Mexico to try to win a couple votes over, does not matter. In the Mexican news they were all calling him out as a phony trolling for votes. Bush and all the "Macaca" talk turned most Hispanics off from the Republcan Party, for this election cycle anyway.
Well, that's the problem, isn't it? When you are denied a job in your own country because you can't speak Spanish, something's radically wrong. And what's wrong is that we have allowed more immigrants, legal and illegal, into the country than can be assimilated naturally. The result are pockets of cities and states that are more foreign than national. Do you know what that's called? Balkanization. Look at the history of the Balkans and see how well that's worked out for them. Or better yet, look at Canada with its two official languages and cultures and the constant agitation, sometimes violent, of French Canadians to secede from the Canadian union. Can't happen here? Ask La Raza. Ever hear of the Reconquista? It's coming soon to the American southwest.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times
Quote:

I think instead of trying to get his country to bend down to the immigrants to learn spanish.......

....he should require immigrants to learn english in their first 5 years or they are deported.

American's should NOT be required to learn Spanish, immigrants should learn english. We wouldn't need spanish if it was not for the lazy immigrants who refuse to learn the language. Not for the "international markets" as you claim, just for the poor pathetic immigrants who are ignorant to our culture.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
They are doing a good job of synching up the value of the dollar with that of the peso.
Yes, enough dollars go back to Mexico monthly that helps accomplish that very nicely..

Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Dont "require" or "mandate" either...lots of good paying jobs as translators will start to show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections