Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want as our next president?
Obama 100 60.98%
McCain 34 20.73%
Other 30 18.29%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:07 AM

872 posts, read 1,712,966 times

Advertisements

I really don't like either candidate. I may go with Barr if he's on the ballot. If I had to choose McCain or Obama I'd go with McCain. McCain is in favor of drilling for oil off the FL coasts, building nuclear power facilities AND exploring alternative energy solutions. All can be done simultaneously but the dipspit Democrats in Congress always act like it can only be one or the other. So while McCain has an energy/economic plan Obama does not. We'll be reverted back to the stone age walking +biking miles to work in the heat +snow if Obama is elected. On foreign policy I give the nod to Obama because he seems to have some timetable for getting troops out of the costly and unnecessary war with Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:36 AM

343 posts, read 932,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
there is a preferable situation to be desired. that is why you vote.
What if both situations are bad? Is it really a good thing to simply just choose SOMETHING, even if I don't really want either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
the less the population votes, the easier it can be socialized to the government's liking.
There is absolutely no evidence of this. Please provide an example of a situation in which low voter turnout RESULTED in greater government control of the populace. I can't possibly see how the chain of causation would work here.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:17 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,935 times
I don't see how those energy proposals are a viable alternative. People need to gain energy self sufficiency. Being hooked to an electrical grid is almost a certain way to cause total chaos and panic if and when it fails. It makes no sense to me to lobby for more corporatization of the US people. I want people to gain independence from electric companies. Not continually be herded to another milking platform. More nuclear energy stations? That just means more vulnerability.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:36 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
What if both situations are bad? Is it really a good thing to simply just choose SOMETHING, even if I don't really want either?

There is absolutely no evidence of this. Please provide an example of a situation in which low voter turnout RESULTED in greater government control of the populace. I can't possibly see how the chain of causation would work here.
we're going through it now. patriot act? the freshly passed fbi license-to-discriminate? the constitution means less than ever, and it's happening before our eyes.

congress is regularly involved with professional sports, a privately held corporation.

the flag is one of the biggest enterprises in the country. only in war-torn countries is the flag even close to as big a deal as in america.

the examples are there, if you're looking.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,773,645 times
Colbert '08

Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,611 times
I'm not voting. I think I'll be miserable no matter who wins.

I agree with Obama's liberal ideology. However, I don't think he knows what he's doing at all. And I also have a feeling that he'll be a big social spender, which would further drain our already negative funds. The economy is a big thing for me, and he just doesn't seem to get it...it's like he thinks government spending money just grows on trees.

McCain seems more level-headed, but I don't care for his conservative ideology. And I think it's a little bit...tacky that he's using his POW-status as a "woe-is-me" card.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:18 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,533 times
Obama. Are we as a country going to be represented by a 70 plus old who represents the last century and the policies that have weakened and isolated us from the world, or are we going to elect a mixed race young candidate that would immediately put supposedly open minded Europe to sham? It's time to move on. The symbolism of Obama and what it represents for this country (goodbye Sharpton/Jackson types) trumps everything else for me.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:52 AM

112 posts, read 325,842 times
Obama.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,325 times
Obama !!!! I love Hillary and preferred her over Obama. But I can't stand another 4 more years of a baby Bush administration.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:42 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I'm not voting. I think I'll be miserable no matter who wins.

I agree with Obama's liberal ideology. However, I don't think he knows what he's doing at all. And I also have a feeling that he'll be a big social spender, which would further drain our already negative funds. The economy is a big thing for me, and he just doesn't seem to get it...it's like he thinks government spending money just grows on trees.

McCain seems more level-headed, but I don't care for his conservative ideology. And I think it's a little bit...tacky that he's using his POW-status as a "woe-is-me" card.
This is actually an accurate reflection of how I feel at this point.

I don't care for either candidate and am not voting at all, as I see this election as a lose-lose situation. McCain's judgement can be rather questionable at times, and I flat out don't trust Obama to run this country. I'm better inclined to tolerate a McCain presidency at this point, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections