Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:18 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,894 times

Advertisements

Quote for truth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
obama wont withdraw, he is just conjuring votes.
And his empty words will get people killed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:26 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
This article is from July - how about something a little more current?

"Iraq and the United States have finally agreed on a security pact which would mean that US forces would withdraw from Iraq by 2011, American and Iraqi officials said yesterday."

Obama's Iraq plans vindicated as US agrees to pull out by 2011 - Americas, World - The Independent

Also, interesting perspective from TIME magazine:

"Financial pressure is not, in itself, sufficiently strong right now to hasten a pullout from Iraq. But the fact that it coincides with a gloomy intelligence assessment of that country's political prospects, growing demands for U.S. reinforcements in Afghanistan, and the elected Iraqi government's insistence on a withdrawal deadline, suggests that the end of the U.S. mission in Iraq may be coming into view — and that its terms may fall short of victory as defined by the war's authors."

How the Recession Could End the Iraq War - TIME

Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
One more indication of his inexperience and lack of understanding of all things military.

Like the experience and understanding of all things military that got us involved in this sideshow that has cost us billions of dollars and more than 4,000 lives?

"Instead of any time-based approach to any decision for withdrawal, it's got to be conditions-based, with the starting point being an intelligence analysis of what might be here today, and what might lie ahead in the future."

Maj. Gen. Jeffery Hammond

Well Gen Hammond needs to wake up and smell the coffee since the status of forces agreement with the Iraqi government doesn't call of a conditions based withdrawal.

Another little piece or work from Gen. Hammond:

"we have a mission, and it's not until the mission is done that I can look my leader in the eye and say, 'Sir, Ma'am, mission accomplished.."

Sorry Gen. Hammond but you don't determine what the mission is nor are you the one to decide when or or when isn't a mission accomplished.

Now on the other hand we have Lt. Gen. Lloyd Austin:

"I'd have to see the entire plan. I'd have to understand the strategic objectives of the leadership, and based on those strategic objectives, come up with operational objectives. It's very difficult to comment on one way or the other, whether one plan would work or one plan wouldn't work.

So what is the bottom line of the article, Obama line Lincoln will be faced with his own versions of McCellan and Grant, the only problem facing Obama from a military standpoint is who will be his Grant.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Like the experience and understanding of all things military that got us involved in this sideshow that has cost us billions of dollars and more than 4,000 lives?

"Instead of any time-based approach to any decision for withdrawal, it's got to be conditions-based, with the starting point being an intelligence analysis of what might be here today, and what might lie ahead in the future."

Maj. Gen. Jeffery Hammond

Well Gen Hammond needs to wake up and smell the coffee since the status of forces agreement with the Iraqi government doesn't call of a conditions based withdrawal.

Another little piece or work from Gen. Hammond:

"we have a mission, and it's not until the mission is done that I can look my leader in the eye and say, 'Sir, Ma'am, mission accomplished.."

Sorry Gen. Hammond but you don't determine what the mission is nor are you the one to decide when or or when isn't a mission accomplished.

Now on the other hand we have Lt. Gen. Lloyd Austin:

"I'd have to see the entire plan. I'd have to understand the strategic objectives of the leadership, and based on those strategic objectives, come up with operational objectives. It's very difficult to comment on one way or the other, whether one plan would work or one plan wouldn't work.

So what is the bottom line of the article, Obama line Lincoln will be faced with his own versions of McCellan and Grant, the only problem facing Obama from a military standpoint is who will be his Grant.
I'm glad you know so much more than our commanding officers.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:47 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I'm glad you know so much more than our commanding officers.
No problem.

Now if you would like to respond to my post with something other than irrelevant non sequiturs, hey, we might have a discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections