Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,479 times

Advertisements

According to Yahoo News, Mr Powell will be on NBC's "Meet the Press "
on Sunday.

The article includes some conjecture that he "may endorse...Obama..".
Other words and phrases in the article include: ..."Advised the last 3 Republican Presidents .." and "mystery" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Default Colin Powell will appear on "Meet the Press" this Sunday

Colin Powell will appear on Meet the Press this Sunday to discuss "a variety of issues."

What do you think this means? Is he endorsing a candidate... and if so, why is he doing it this late in the game? I was assuming he'd endorse McCain--but if so, why didn't he say something a while back? McCain could have used a ringing endorsement like that a few weeks ago.

Thoughts?

Old 10-17-2008, 11:04 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
I doubt if there's a direct endorsement; however the General will probably discuss a very intelligent military strategy and most will probably come away with with some sense of endorsement for the Senator from Illinois. just my guess and 2 cents

Old 10-17-2008, 11:05 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I doubt if there's a direct endorsement; however the General will probably discuss a very intelligent military strategy and most will probably come away with with some sense of endorsement for the Senator from Illinois. just my guess and 2 cents
Well of course, they're both black.

Of course that means nothing when even Iraqi officials have been talking along the same lines as Obama. They certainly haven't been entertaining the idea of 100 years.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Wow I'll have to watch that. I thought he'd disappeared never to be heard from again.
I do like the man though..kind of wish he was running for Pres

Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Well of course, they're both black.

Of course that means nothing when even Iraqi officials have been talking along the same lines as Obama. They certainly haven't been entertaining the idea of 100 years.
Huh? No we Must Stay the Course. That will be unequivocal!!
Did ya catch General Patreus and Mckiernan...the stars are aligning...

Old 10-17-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Wow I'll have to watch that. I thought he'd disappeared never to be heard from again.
His speech at the UN in favor of invading Iraq ruined that dream. He lost a lot of credibility for selling something he really didn't believe in. Just like McCain, a lot of people looked better in 2000.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Huh? No we Must Stay the Course. That will be unequivocal!!
Did ya catch General Patreus and Mckiernan...the stars are aligning...
Yeah. Cpsanjunkie.org had the whole Petraeus news conference online. It's over 1.5 hours of discussing the middle east issues. He's a brilliant man.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
It would have been too much. Witness Senator McCain's difficulty serving in Congress under President Bush....Sec. of State - forget it. The Press would lose it's collective mind during vetting and we would never be the same...

Old 10-17-2008, 11:18 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
I think this is his first foray back into the limelight to raise his public profile and shine a light on the need for either candidate to give him serious consideration for a high ranking position in their administration. OR, even though he is 71, he might be making his first pass at starting his own campaign for president in the next four years. Either way I do not think he endorses either one. Endorse McCain and you risk aligning yourself with a lost election and one that has not been regarded as well run. If he wants to run a strong republican/independent campaign down the line, overtly supporting a McCain/Palin ticket might bite him in the behind. Back the Obama ticket and he turns his back on his own party, who's backing he would need if he were to run. I think this is simply an "all about me" appearance to further his return to government administration and/or politics in the near term. I am voting Obama this election, but feel Powell was the last great "leader" to consider a run for President. The candidates have been downhill since...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections