Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:23 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
The original thread is race baiting. If you can't look at the charitable work done by Cindy McCain and give her credit for that, then I call it resentment. I also have a problem with people dismissing a career in public service including 5.5 years as a POW as if it was just going into the family business like working at a auto mechanic shop owned by your father.
Call it whatever you want, we see her differently. I dont respect her just because she inherited money and is married to a politician, or because she once had a charity and then sabotaged it. Charitable work is nice, and she could just be out buying clothes, so that's a plus! You like her and I dont, that's all.

Getting shot down isn't exactly an achievement, but I thought about adding that on the plus side McCain didnt take early repatriation which was offered as a result of his family connection.

The fact remains that the Obamas succeeded on their own brains and determination, and we might not even know who John McCain is if it werent for his father in law's and wife's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's sounds like the poster child case for resentful.
Holy mackerel. Show me where.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:29 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
She doesn't even appriciate what she has achieved here...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8642.html

""My experiences at Princeton have made me far more aware of my 'blackness' than ever before," the future Mrs. Obama wrote in her thesis introduction. "I have found that at Princeton, no matter how liberal and open-minded some of my white professors and classmates try to be toward me, I sometimes feel like a visitor on campus; as if I really don't belong. Regardless of the circumstances underwhich I interact with whites at Princeton, it often seems as if, to them, I will always be black first and a student second."

Who's really going to be un biased??? You expect the husband to have far different views? When did she say she was proud of her country again?

Further on in the story:

"The thesis, titled "Princeton-Educated Blacks and the Black Community" and written under her maiden name, Michelle LaVaughn Robinson, in 1985, has been the subject of much conjecture on the blogosphere and elsewhere in recent weeks, as it has been "temporarily withdrawn" from Princeton's library until after this year's presidential election in November. Some of the material has been written about previously, however, including a story last year in the Newark Star Ledger."

"Earlier this week, commentator Jonah Goldberg remarked on National Review Online, "A reader in the know informs me that Michelle Obama's thesis ... is unavailable until Nov. 5, 2008, at the Princeton library. I wonder why."

"Why a restricted thesis?" asked blogger-pastor Louis Lapides on his site Thinking Outside the Blog. "Is the concern based on what's in the thesis? Will Michelle Obama appear to be too black for white America or not black enough for black America?""

Then about the infamous comments:

"The Obama campaign, however, quickly responded to a request for the thesis by Politico. The thesis offers several fascinating insights into the mind of Michelle Obama, who has been a passionate advocate of her husband's presidential aspirations and who has made several controvesial statements, including this week's remark, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country." That comment has fueled debate on countless blogs, radio talk shows and cable news for days on end, causing her to explain the statement in greater detail.

The 1985 thesis provides a trove of Michelle Obama's thoughts as a young woman, with many of the paper's statements describing the student's world as seen through a race-based prism."

Old 07-12-2008, 05:33 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Good lord. Why do the Democrats focus on race so much?
Why do Republicans focus so much on class? Always referring to Obama and his supporters as elitist and out of touch while Bush, Cheney, and McCain (all of which have more money than Obama will probably acquire in his lifetime and are too old and/or priviledged to remember "hardtimes") can relate to the people. It's such bull.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
How about the original post on this thread!
Obama supporters frequently use names for McCain such as "McBush, McAmnesty, McInsane, etc" whereas I have not seen McCain supporter using such childish name calling tactics.
Just click earlier pages in this 2008 Election forum, go back earlier and earlier, and scan thread titles for "Obama." The original post doesnt call anyone names.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Call it whatever you want, we see her differently. I dont respect her just because she inherited money and is married to a politician, or because she once had a charity and then sabotaged it. Charitable work is nice, and she could just be out buying clothes, so that's a plus! You like her and I dont, that's all.

Getting shot down isn't exactly an achievement, but I thought about adding that on the plus side McCain didnt take early repatriation which was offered as a result of his family connection.

The fact remains that the Obamas succeeded on their own brains and determination, and we might not even know who John McCain is if it werent for his father in law's and wife's money.
Your resentment shows in this post as well. I really do think you might need to get some professional help! But then of course my undergrad roommate was a psychology major and we did a lot of psychoanalysis of each other!!
My understanding is that Cindy didn't just "once have a charity" (I'll leave out your little snide dig), but is still very active in her charitable work. The fact however, is that I am not voting for either Cindy or Michelle and neither has any baring on how I will vote.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:46 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Just click earlier pages in this 2008 Election forum, go back earlier and earlier, and scan thread titles for "Obama." The original post doesnt call anyone names.
I only started looking at this forum a couple of months ago, so you will have to be more specific about what you are trying to say. Are you trying to say that the name calling by Obama supporters is a recent occurrence? I don't understand the significance if that is your point??

Old 07-12-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Why do Republicans focus so much on class? Always referring to Obama and his supporters as elitist and out of touch while Bush, Cheney, and McCain (all of which have more money than Obama will probably acquire in his lifetime and are too old and/or priviledged to remember "hardtimes") can relate to the people. It's such bull.
How I figured out which had my best interest in mind:

Income to tax ratio.

Who want's us to achieve things for ourselves and not have them handed to us?

Didn't you guys mama's tell you that you don't appreciate much of anything given to you.....the things you earn are what makes it worth while. I guess that can be thought of two ways.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 07-12-2008 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Guys meaning "people" sorry women.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Your resentment shows in this post as well. I really do think you might need to get some professional help! But then of course my undergrad roommate was a psychology major and we did a lot of psychoanalysis of each other!!
My understanding is that Cindy didn't just "once have a charity" (I'll leave out your little snide dig), but is still very active in her charitable work. The fact however, is that I am not voting for either Cindy or Michelle and neither has any baring on how I will vote.

I'm not arguing for or against. The Obamas charitable funds increased as their salaries did.....for whatever reason...taxes...guilt...charity....whatever....

In fact we are voting for both women....and men. There really isn't a better tattle tale than a couple together.....especially in the world of politics where words are easily manipulated.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I only started looking at this forum a couple of months ago, so you will have to be more specific about what you are trying to say. Are you trying to say that the name calling by Obama supporters is a recent occurrence? I don't understand the significance if that is your point??
No, I mean click on older pages of this forum and look at the thread titles, and you'll see many more anti-Obama topics than anti-McCain topics, replete with pejorative appellations. Go to Politics > 2008 Pres Elec main page and look at the right for forum page numbers, and click a high number (older date).

McCain resentment - Are you trying to say that anyone who doesnt admire Cindy McCain must resent her? Undergrad psychology is right, were you all roommates beyond first semester freshman year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections